Author Topic: Bus Fare increases from 02/01/17  (Read 4426 times)

bransoj

• View Profile
Re: Bus Fare increases from 02/01/17
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »
Some details here about it :-
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/yorkshire/less-cash-54-the-big-switch

Seems the fare changes will be a lot more for some folk than others. They've basically just gone for nice round numbers but if you paid £1 before its now £1.50 whereas folk paying £1.40 it only goes up to £1.50. That said i'm a big fan of making it easy to pay for things using tech, we used a park and ride in York a few months back and we just jumped on and i paid using Apple Pay on my phone, so much simpler than messing about with cash as we're trying to manhandle ourselves, the little one, her folded up pram and bags onto the bus whilst other folk generally get in the way onto a bus that hasnt really considered where to store all this stuff!!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 09:06:20 PM »
I know only too well how difficult it can be trying to keep to a schedule {being an ex professional driver myself} but that old saying of "You wait half an hour for a bus then three come along at once" that has happened on more than one occasion, if not three then certainly two.

It would seem the above is happening on our route {54} with monotonous regularity. We travel to town and back at least 3 times a week and double buses at a stop is getting a regular feature. We also hear comments from others that travel {some go every day} and it's the same, my wife said a couple told her they were stood at Westhill lane Grassmoor bus stop for just over half an hour a few days ago and 3 came all at once and it's not an isolated case.
They have just installed those electronic message boards in bus stops on this route that tells you the approximate arrival time of the next bus, lets hope the bus company can see {electronically} how the buses are running, if they don't already know.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 10:04:26 AM »
The Grassmoor one was probably down to the roadworks that have been in Grassmoor a fair bit recently. Other week i got caught in three way ones at the roundabout at the top end of the park then last week there were some halfway down the main road. The three way lights on the roundabout were causing some biggish tailbacks when i got caught in them.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 12:36:40 PM »
The late arrival of buses is having an affect on our community care workers.
Not all drive and rely buses to get from person to person. Their day is made extra long and obviously people who rely on them for meals and medication are left waiting - as the day goes on the calls get later.
The same will go for people who need the bus to get to work, some may have to wait until their children are in school - if the bus is late they are late for work.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 08:44:24 PM »
The Grassmoor one was probably down to the roadworks that have been in Grassmoor a fair bit recently. Other week i got caught in three way ones at the roundabout at the top end of the park then last week there were some halfway down the main road. The three way lights on the roundabout were causing some biggish tailbacks when i got caught in them.

Alas bransoj I'm afraid the bus fiasco well preceded the roadworks. The troubles seemed to have coincided with the 54's re route, some months ago, via the railway station and the one an hour to the shopping outlet on junction 28.
Also the problem isn't just one way....we also get this from buses doing the return journey from town. I'm the first to realise bus timetables are there as an approximation of running times and are not set in stone, and as the 54 runs {every 10 minutes!!} I can see where if one bus has to wait at say three, or four, sets of roadworks lights and the next bus simply sails through them as they are all on green then I can see where one bus will catch another, but 3.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 07:44:51 PM »
I'm a regular driver on the 54's. Since we have one an hour that goes to the designer outlet now - this can create problems. The A38 regularly gets stuck due to M1 problems as well.We have diversions we can use to try & get back to town & on time (usually through quieter roads in Alfreton). However the bus coming back from EMDO usually fits back into the 10 minute slot.
A new Director within St**coach decided this was needed to increase revenue - I can't say to be honest that we have increased passenger numbers - maybe pinched a few off of Comet.
The 54 (my honest opinion as the most profitable route in Chesterfield) should not have been tinkered in this way - it has not as far as I have seen increased passenger numbers.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 08:34:57 PM »
Tagging onto this post {buses} I read your post Fly concerning Spotted Chesterfield page so had a quick look see and there's a piece about a bus driver sounding his horn {to the annoyance of obviously a Mastermind contestant} and whether he could "squeeze" through or not was not the issue, anyone with half a brain can see what the problem was and more importantly WHO'S FAULT IT WAS............
This reminds me of my parcel delivering days during the 80's. At one time my run was {amongst other places} Derby city and I drove a 5 tonner and trying to get down some of those streets because of the way they parked was a nightmare, I went through what that bus driver went through at least a dozen times a day. I did the same as him at the beginning and it got me absolutely nowhere, many's the time I've had to reverse upwards of 300 yards or more, reverse out into a busy main road and find another route.
I should imagine these large Argos, Currys, D.F.S. lorries still have the same trouble, but at least they are two manners, but believe me they watched how they parked on dustbin day, I've heard tales from customers when I've remarked on the parking situation that for some Derby dustbin gangs if they couldn't reach the lorry with a bin because of "inconsiderate" parking the bins were not emptied plus the lorry rarely reversed and if it was a very tight squeeze too bad you would probably find your offside wing mirror on the floor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk