Author Topic: Please help to stop the felling of a protected sycamore tree !  (Read 4270 times)

Tarzan

• View Profile
May i take the opportunity to inform the local community about a protected sycamore tree that builders are wanting to fell !
This sycamore tree is located on the edge at the inkerman field on the former site of "Character windows", Ashgate road, ( next to the crispin ), Chesterfield, where "Antony Aston builders" are building some houses.
Antony aston builders have applied for permission to fell this tree, which has a TREE PROTECTION ORDER on it.  Probably because - incredibly, they have somehow  managed  to build a house too close to it ?
Not sure if this is incompetence by the builders or the planning department at CBC ?.

Some local people have set up a petition site for people to object to the felling of the tree, if you agree please sign the petition.
https://www.change.org/p/steve-perry-save-the-sycamore-tree

It is also rumoured that this building firm are trying to negotiate to get some of the land at the rear of the crispin, which was the beer garden,... no doubt this would involve more tree felling so they can build more houses ?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Please help to stop the felling of a protected sycamore tree !
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 06:24:20 PM »
Signed  :)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 08:57:59 PM »
Ditto (y)
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 09:25:14 PM »
I've signed too  (y)

I also have an idea of the outcome. But I won't post it here  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:33:23 PM »
The application reference is CHE/16/00480/TPO

It's wrong on the change.org petition.

EDIT:

Reference   CHE/16/00480/TPO
Application Received   Tue 19 Jul 2016
Application Validated   Tue 19 Jul 2016
Address   246A Ashgate Road Chesterfield Derbyshire S40 4AW
Proposal   Fell sycamore tree
Status   Decided
Decision   withdrawn
Decision Issued Date   Wed 10 Aug 2016
Appeal Status   Unknown
Appeal Decision   Not Available
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 10:03:52 PM »
Is this planning application a sort of ' testing the waters' thing? ( the tree is a good way to find out) The Crispin pub is closed and owned by Tesco who are not at present doing anything with the building and possible not so for sometime to come and could be happy to offload it for the right money. Why just buy a bit of the land at the back when Tesco might be willing to sell the lot?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 10:13:21 PM »
Thanks everyone   :)
Perhaps i should have done a search on CBC planning myself before posting ?
It now appears that conditional permission has been granted to prune the tree   ..CHE/16/00545/TPOEXP
Probably the only compromise that we will get  ?

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 10:21:13 PM »
Is this planning application a sort of ' testing the waters' thing? ( the tree is a good way to find out) The Crispin pub is closed and owned by Tesco who are not at present doing anything with the building and possible not so for sometime to come and could be happy to offload it for the right money. Why just buy a bit of the land at the back when Tesco might be willing to sell the lot?
From what i understand, Enterprise inns still own the crispin & Tesco signed some sort of contract some time ago to take on the lease, so Enterprise inn are quite happy for tesco to keep paying them for the lease, even though Tesco don't appear to be doing anything with it !

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 07:59:23 AM »
Prune the tree ?
This confirms my previous suspicions even more !

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 07:02:41 PM »
I've been informed, (heard), the tree has been ring barked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girdling
This has caused serious damage to the tree before this came to light.
The building company have denied any participation in this.
The council still refused to let the tree be removed and therefore it has been pollarded https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollarding in the hope that it survives and regenerates some good health.

As regards the land behind the pub, a brick wall has appeared almost overnight between the two plots  :)

I did say watch this space  :o ::)

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 05:00:01 PM »
I can't see any signs of ring barking, but it did look like some branches were snapped off when the scaffolding was erected.
I haven't noticed a wall between the pub & the building site,but there is a standard (concrete slotted post) garden fence that has gone up between the two sites.There is also some temporary fencing  that has been erected either side of the pub to discourage anyone going around the rear of the pub. I don't know whether the builders or the security firm looking after the pub have put this fence up ?

I have heard of another potentially serious issue that has now also come to light though !
This land where the houses have been built, has always been prone to flooding from the inkerman field, this wasn't a problem before the houses were built as it soaked away eventually, but the houses appear to have been built on raised foundations in an attempt to stop them being flooded, but now when it rains heavy, water is directed to some properties on churston road & now their gardens flood !

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »
My informant didn't mention the flooding problem. Though it doesn't surprise me.

I dread to think what will happen if they allow the development at Duckmanton alongside Tom Lane.
Thats always flooded at the bottom. A concrete estate alongside won't help !!

handy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 09:10:42 PM »
signed
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 11:00:15 PM »
signed

Thanks anyway, but the damage has been done now  :(
here's what it looks like now !

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
Oh dear, what a shame it now looks like something Monkeys have in the Zoo!
Is this in preparation for it to be cut down, or will new branches sprout on it?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk