Author Topic: Nuisance phone calls  (Read 1286 times)

Umpire

• View Profile
Nuisance phone calls
« on: March 12, 2019, 07:40:07 PM »
Does anybody have the same problems as we do.Today between 10.00am and  14.00 hrs  we received 7 calls.I have given up picking up because most of them are part of this ringing lots of people system at the same time and quickly goes dead if you pick up.
I thought recent legislation had banned these pest firms but obviously not.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Nuisance phone calls
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:55:05 PM »
Aren't you signed up to this free service ?
https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Yes, nuisance calls are supposed to be illegal.
We're also using one of TalkTalks free services they provide. It basically blocks most numbers who phone us if the number is not recognised by us (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 09:05:23 PM »
Does anybody have the same problems as we do.Today between 10.00am and  14.00 hrs  we received 7 calls.I have given up picking up because most of them are part of this ringing lots of people system at the same time and quickly goes dead if you pick up.
I thought recent legislation had banned these pest firms but obviously not.

I got rid of my landline phone in 2000, but in order to receive WiFi I had to have the line re connected,but there's no phone attached to it, it's purely for my WiFi.
Nuisance calls can be a two way street, I have just spent the best part of yesterday afternoon and this morning trying to cancel my car insurance renewal with a well known company.
I followed the instructions and rang {yes you've guessed it} a premium rate number, my mobile is P.A.Y.G. and I checked I had sufficient time left {£7:89p to be precise} which I thought would be ample.
Unfortunately I was dealing with someone on the other end who, lets say didn't sound as if English was his first language, and so I found myself having to repeat quite a bit of it, then he said he would transfer me to someone else so I listened to elevator music for a few minutes, I had just about lost the will to live when someone finally came on the line, I began telling them the saga again and after about ten seconds I suddenly realised I was talking to myself..... my talk time had run out.
I finally found their E mail address so E mailed them about my intention of cancelling and all I got back is "You must talk to one of our Customer services team members on the very same premium line.
I politely {as I could} declined and told them the E mail I sent must suffice as I have no intention of ringing that number but I told them I'm not stopping you ringing me.....Answer came there none!!
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:38:28 PM »
I have been registered with the TPS for many years but it has not made any difference.I am with Talktalk so I will have a look at that .Thanks.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 12:01:45 AM »
I have been registered with the TPS for many years but it has not made any difference.I am with Talktalk so I will have a look at that .Thanks.

Talktalk Callsafe (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 07:07:48 AM »
I'm with BT who have a system that is supposed to stop nuisance calls from reaching us, and also registered with TPS, but still occasionally get nuisance calls. Yesterday I had 2 calls (from different numbers) both automated telling me that my Internet connection had been compromised and telling me to press '9' if I'm with BT and another number if I'm with anyone else - both times I just put the phone down as its a scam.

What's almost as infuriating are the times it rings and, when you answer the call, there's no-one there!

I'm seriously considering disconnecting the phone and just using my mobile.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »
over the last month or two i have been receiving a call from number 08438702858 around midday, the phone rings for two times and then rings off, has anyone else had problems with this number?.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 03:20:26 PM »
over the last month or two i have been receiving a call from number 08438702858 around midday, the phone rings for two times and then rings off, has anyone else had problems with this number?.

It's not a number I recognise, but you could try this website

https://who-called.co.uk

If it's a common occurrence it could appear on there.

HTH
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:18:49 PM »
We rarely get any these days
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk