Author Topic: London again  (Read 1399 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
London again
« on: June 14, 2017, 04:52:52 PM »
What an awful day for London today - as if it hadn't had enough with recent terrorist and now the awful devastating fire in that block of flats.

I've always said I wouldn't like to live in high rise flats but for many there is no choice.

So many still missing, it must have been terrifying for everyone  including the Services who attended and still are this devastating tragedy.

My heart goes out to them  :(
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: London again
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »
Now one year on.......
I have read about the fire starting , what flat it started in and what was done in those first few minutes, I have a few unanswered questions.
Obviously as the inquiry is still ongoing I have to be careful what I'm saying and/or suggesting as at the moment I'm just going on here say only and not facts as known only to the families concerned.
 {it is alleged}
 When the flat owner was awoken by his smoke alarm and went into the kitchen the kitchen was not {yet} "engulfed" in flames, in fact the appliance concerned was apparently just smouldering hence the smoke triggering the smoke detector.

You can perhaps see where I'm coming from here,  as his lawyer is saying this man was absolutely blameless.......
We will just have to wait and see!
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 02:01:48 PM »
Thankfully high rise fires are not a common sight in this country, or the world. Unfortunately with Grenfell {as with 9/11} the job of getting people out of a burning high rise is all but impossible, and whilst people live and work in tower blocks/skyscrapers it will remain almost impossible, mistakes were definitely made. The London brigade, and I suspect the nationwide's brigades policy of telling people, if a fire starts, STAY IN YOUR FLAT is all very well if the fire is on the 20th floor and your on the 1st floor, but if it was the other way round you wouldn't catch me sitting like a turkey in an oven waiting for the gas to be lit.

Take for example, on discovering, a chip pan fire...... what do you do?
A/ leave it burning whilst you run round to your neighbours telling them there's a fire and then ring the fire brigade
                     OR
B/ turn off the gas run a tea towel under the tap and throw it over the pan then ring.
Of course people panic, different people react to situations differently. How many people do you think, especially those with young children, have actually thought about what they would do if a fire broke out in their home and how many have shown their kids what to do!
I've been guilty of that. My 2 are both in their forties now and I never did and neither in fact did MY parents, and in those days you went to bed with the fire dampened down, but still in {in our house it was 2 fires} I think everyone walks round with that It will never happen to me attitude and I believe this is what causes the panic and the subsequent not thinking straight.
Most people have smoke detectors fitted which give people a fair warning and so can make good their escape, mine are situated in the hall nearest the kitchen door and the other at the top of the landing and come hell or high water the batteries are changed every xmas

This is why I always check where fire escapes, hoses and evacuation notices are when I'm on holiday and have booked into a strange hotel.
Only the other week there was a hotel fire abroad basically caused by drunk youths trying to set fire to one of their mates feet {as a joke} by using an aerosol can and it set the apartment on fire. Now you understand my caution when you are sharing a hotel with mindless dross like that.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 08:09:56 PM »
As you say we will have to wait and see what the outcome is of this - but wasn't it a tad 'irresponsible' not to take precautions.
Personally i would have thought - get everyone out the best thing to do - even if the fire came to nothing.

A few months ago I requested a Fire safety officer check in my daughters bungalow.
She has a fire extinguisher and blanket in her kitchen - we also have them in our hallway at the bottom of the stairs.

The fire officer said to me  to be honest we just advise to 'get out' these days.
Not so long ago they were a 'must'

Things change don't they!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk