Author Topic: Should politicians who cross the floor resign and stand in a by-election  (Read 2229 times)

Slacker

• View Profile
There is no legal obligation to but is there a moral one to the electorate?

2 Tory MPs who defected to UKIP have , a UKIP councillor on CBC was elected as a LbDem has twice changed parties (via Independent).

I believe he should face a vote to determine whether he was elected with personal support or party support.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Yes, how can they just be put in a position by a party ?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Yep :)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

therealjr

• View Profile
Yes but who is the ukip Cllr?
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Slacker

• View Profile
Paul Stone

therealjr

• View Profile
Really? I'd missed that one. He's been at odds with the party (and his dad for that matter) for some time.

Slacker

• View Profile

strange the both left LibDems at same time but David hasn't made that step yet. Announced on Chesterfield UKIP page but last time I looked wasn't altered on councillor contacts

Stuart

• View Profile
Just read the item on the Chesterfield Post website about this. I have to say I find the timing tremendously interesting, coming quite soon after his Liberal chums put him forward as Mayor - something which I'd have thought would put all this "No-one's listening to me" stuff into some sort of context. Perhaps he'll move on when he discovers that UKIP is little more than a BNP for real ale lovers  ;D

Slacker

• View Profile
To be fair the mayoralty is non political and is offered on length of service then alphabetical. Would be interested to see if this changed if seats were close with the mayor having casting vote at full council

therealjr

• View Profile
There was a row a few years ago when the sitting labour council broke with the protocol and proposed Paul Barry as mayor because they didn't want a lib dem mayor attracting publicity in the run up to what was going to be a very tight election. The ironic outcome being that he ended up presiding over the last couple of council meetings as Mr Barry as he got voted out!!

Slacker

• View Profile
Last election the deputy mayor who was due to become mayor in 2011 lost his seat hence Peter Barr was thrown in at the deep end

therealjr

• View Profile
Similar thing happened years ago to a Labour Cllr. That occasion was the catalyst for changing the system. Before this the Mayor went straight in and then spent year 2 as deputy. Other way round now of course

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk