Author Topic: Auntie has lost her grasp of the English language  (Read 1030 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Auntie has lost her grasp of the English language
« on: May 10, 2021, 03:58:11 PM »
By 'Auntie' I mean that once great British institution the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).

I have just heard an announcer say that, and I quote:

"Boris Johnson is holding a press conference about the relaxing of lockdown rules in 45 minutes"

Now forgive me if I'm mistaken, but, aren't the lockdown rules being relaxed next Monday, and not in 45 minutes?

Surely it would have been more correct for her to have said:

"Boris Johnson is holding a press conference in 45 minutes about the upcoming relaxation of lockdown rules"

I don't wish to sound pedantic, but surely these institutions should be setting an example to the younger element of our population? In younger persons parlance "I could of done a better job"!

Yours grumpily,

Victor Meldrew (aka Alsatian)!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: Auntie has lost her grasp of the English language
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:02:32 PM »
I'm afraid it's not just the Beeb Victor!

The other channels are just as much to blame, the English language is being "strangled", not only on the box but in everyday usage. A few years ago presenters and newsreaders spoke the Queens English {they did or they wouldn't work}, now you have people on the media with dialects and grammar that is so bad it's painful to the ears.

The thing that really annoys me is the reporters total lack of empathy when interviewing victims of a crime
"So Mrs Jones your whole family were wiped out in a motorway accident 2 days ago and your house has just burned down, tell me how do you feel?
OR
The interviewing at an incident when they grab anyone they can to interview whether they know anything or not it's pathetic as well as bad t.v.
The way these reporters milk a situation makes my blood boil.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 10:06:24 PM »
On the subject of TV reporters, why do they have to fly around the world to bring us a news story - do they think we can't understand words alone and therefore need pictures as well?

Also, tonight an ITV  news reporter brought us a live COVID news story from Delhi!!! WHY WHY WHY?

Are they going to be allowed to fly back to the UK, and are they going to isolate if/when they do?
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 07:44:19 PM »
Exactly....

"On the spot" reporting means a piece to camera whilst the occurrence is taking place or very soon after, why they have to report from the same location days after is beyond me.

Same with news at ten, political reporters giving a piece to camera {in the dark} on today's political dealings with an almost deserted Houses of Parliament in the backdrop when it can be done in the studio with a picture on the wall, but the thing that really gets me, especially when dealing with politicians, is the way reporters shout out questions to M.P.'s from about 20 feet away under the impression the M.P. will stop dead in their tracks and give them an exclusive.

Other things like breakfast T.V.....why does it take 2 people to read the news? when the rest of the news that day is done by one person, why do they need a separate person to tell you the weather, another for sport.
Why on B.B.C. breakfast on Sundays does one of the newsreaders have to go to another studio to read the headlines on the Andrew Marr Show, why can't they do it where they are.
I could go on but............

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 08:20:15 AM »
My word who has rattled 'Mr Grumpy' as i tend to semi 'switch off' to TV adverts and news ( depending what the news is ) I can't say I heard that

BUT

I have often wondered how much these reporters are actually paid for risking injury or their lives when they cover some of these stories.

I was particularly saddened to hear about Jerusalem though. We have been there a few years ago and it is a sad experience to go though the entrance of the gap in the wall and be stopped whilst guards entered the coach to check passports ( which by the way had already been checked by the customs on board ship ) Their weapons put Arnold Schwarzenegger's to shame. Like wise with the tour guide who had to get off the bus and let another guide on to go with us into Jerusalem.

To be honest I felt all in all it was a really sad place as it is split into different religions/ cultures where one couldn't go into the other parts.

The people who cover these stories surly must get a handsome fee!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk