Author Topic: 'Chav' Britain  (Read 1794 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
'Chav' Britain
« on: June 09, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
I hear this term often on the streets the word means ' naughty boy' it comes from the Romanian travellers slag. The term is now used to anyone that society thinks are a ' problem ' politicians use the more upmarket word ' Pleps' a medieval term to describe the working man. The working class were the backbone of this country who produced products that went across the globe and when the country needed him he frought on the battlefields often not returning home to his loved ones. The working man was seen as the ' salt of the earth' but this has now changed . During the 1980s the traditional industries were closed down piece by piece the effects were dramatic the age old communities fell apart the effects of these policies are still been felt some areas recovered more than others . I work in Sheffield a city that has undergone massive change but since the gobal crash of 2008 the change has created a society of blame and since 2010 the rightwing  hold sway and some of the media have been more than happy to go along  with policy to target the disabled ,unemployed the poorest in our society in short the working class . JSA for the unemployed has been turned into poverty making benefit with sanctions up to three years and the infamous 'Bedroom' tax that has fueled homelessness in this country due to lack of one bedroom accommodation as seen many calling home a doorway . No doubt the rightwing will dismiss this as rubbish and all is well in our great county but I see young people with no real future many turn to drink or drugs and some end up were I work - the morgue . I have no answers sadly to this mess is their any future for the working man or are we doomed to be 'chav''s' ?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: 'Chav' Britain
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 11:06:33 PM »
An insulting word for someone, usually a young person, whose way of dressing, speaking, and behaving is thought to show their lack of education and low social class. Quote from a dictionary (Cambridge) - first one I googled!
My Definition of this would be the one's who have a hard upbringing, maybe on benefits, and have just continued to exist in the same manner. I would not class anyone in regular employment as a "Chav".
I would not class the "homeless" beggars in town similarly. They may sit and ask for "small change" on the streets, but their apparent plight confuses me as I am unsure if they are really homeless, or just making extra income from unsuspecting persons thinking they are helping someone in distress, or should I say, apparent distress.Some may be genuine - some not.
I saw an entertaining moment in town today which was near the Crooked spire which was initially friendly and ended up in shouts of  "Peadophile" at a bloke by a toothless twenty something with plasters on the front and back of his head, who then proceeded to attempt to dance in front of everyone.
The "Chav" I don't like is the one walking along with his hands down his trackie bottoms cupping his genitals. Now you wouldn't want to skake his hand for any reason would you :-?
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »
I don't like the term 'chav' or ' pelb' to be honest.
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 07:13:59 PM »
It's not a trem I would use although have heard it.
Can't knock anyone for the culture they were brought up in.
Some find their way out into a different life but it has to be hard.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 07:43:59 PM »
I thought the term was just the word of the times.
Bit like the word yuppy, it had it's day.

Someone always turns the mole hill into a mountain  :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk