Author Topic: Fishers Taxi's  (Read 6033 times)

Fleetline

• View Profile
Re: Fishers Taxi's
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
Fascinating thread- My grandad, Joe Clarke worked for Fishers for many years, I still have his gold watch for 25 years service with Boddy Industries from 1945-1970. The picture of the 404 taxi is parked just down from where he lived on Queen St. He`d obviously the funerals for years and I remember him talking of the B.I.D`s (brought in deads) and being summoned from the Chesterfield Arms to collect some poor unfortunate recently deceased. He did one of the first funerals at Chesterfield Crematorium I believe.
As far as the cars go, I remember him driving a Morris Oxford NRB 662J, Several 404`s bit I remember ARB 371L and the Peugeot 505 NHE 865R (I remember there were others but not their numbers). I remember registration numbers from being a child, no surprises that I have been a Transport Manager for 25 years.
I remember Fishers selling up Joe went to work for GP Taxis as did many of the cars. I remember the yard on Corporation St containing several decaying Oxfords (including an auto IIRC) He stayed there until he retired aged 77 in 1983, and passed later that year.
I`d wondered what had happened to Morris "six two" after the late Phil Tyler had it in the 2000`s, glad its still about and back in Geoff`s ownership.
Would love to see any more photos of the taxis and funeral fleet. I think I have some of the Humbers somewhere that haven`t been seen for many years. I`ll post if I find them.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »
Fascinating thread- My grandad, Joe Clarke worked for Fishers for many years, I still have his gold watch for 25 years service with Boddy Industries from 1945-1970. The picture of the 404 taxi is parked just down from where he lived on Queen St. He`d obviously the funerals for years and I remember him talking of the B.I.D`s (brought in deads) and being summoned from the Chesterfield Arms to collect some poor unfortunate recently deceased. He did one of the first funerals at Chesterfield Crematorium I believe.
As far as the cars go, I remember him driving a Morris Oxford NRB 662J, Several 404`s bit I remember ARB 371L and the Peugeot 505 NHE 865R (I remember there were others but not their numbers). I remember registration numbers from being a child, no surprises that I have been a Transport Manager for 25 years.
I remember Fishers selling up Joe went to work for GP Taxis as did many of the cars. I remember the yard on Corporation St containing several decaying Oxfords (including an auto IIRC) He stayed there until he retired aged 77 in 1983, and passed later that year.
I`d wondered what had happened to Morris "six two" after the late Phil Tyler had it in the 2000`s, glad its still about and back in Geoff`s ownership.
Would love to see any more photos of the taxis and funeral fleet. I think I have some of the Humbers somewhere that haven`t been seen for many years. I`ll post if I find them.

Welcome to the forum Fleetline, I hope you manage to find some photographs they would be lovely to see.!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 09:50:58 AM »
R.I.P.
 Geoff pheasant.......
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2022, 06:19:08 PM »
R.I.P.
 Geoff pheasant.......

RIP Geoff
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk