Author Topic: Impersonal life  (Read 816 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
Impersonal life
« on: August 11, 2016, 06:53:46 PM »
In my job I see people who have come to the end of their life's journey I often met their relatives who will tell me about their family members life. The one thing Iv noticed is the older the deceased the more fulfilled life they have had. Yet in their day their was no Internet perhaps if the person is old enough might have in WW2 but despite that the overall impression is a life lived. Today its very easy and possible to live life online and never leave the house. We can buy online , bank online, social media, watch the news as it unfolds. No doubt the Internet is a fantastic tool but the other side of the coin  is it can leaves us socially isolated believing the world around us is a dangerous place true some is well placed fear but the media love to make a mountain out of a molehill. We have ATM's now so no need to go into the bank any problems we are given a phone number face to face contact is almost a rare event. Humans need to socialize to keep happy and to keep mental health problems at bay . Just recently I read a news article about an Italian couple who are in advanced years the neighbors rang the Police after hearing shouting and crying was heard. The Police visited the couple the upset had been caused after watching the news it had upset them also they had no visitor's for years the Policemen cooked them a meal and cheered them up such cases like this show how we have drifted apart to the point that even family no longer care for each other. I dont proclaim to have any answers but their is a real danger here that technology is over taking us without us realising it.
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Impersonal life
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 08:29:19 PM »
As a family man that spends most of his time on the internet rather than TV I can agree and disagree.
We still have both children at home (adult status), and we eat at the table wherever possible. We chat and share our day to day experiences.
My kids order numerous items off the internet which usually get delivered normally.My kid's mates come round and have a drink & a chat - all very social.
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't think so - the values that were put in to me by my parents seem to live on willingly with my kids irrespective of the digital revolution.
My Son is a retail manager of a Costa Coffee shop in Sheffield on more wages than me.He still goes chasing Pokemon though!
My sons best mate's Grandma's funeral was today - they are coming here for a drink after a day of mourning to be with their pals and family after a trying day. Social interaction lives in our house and I'm so glad it does for whatever reason - a sad one today.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Impersonal life
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 08:24:25 PM »
Social skills are very important to life and sadly they cannot be learned sat playing games or on social networks which is the norm for many.
In moderation there is nothing wrong with this but all too often it becomes addictive.

I was brought up with the basic pleasures in life and have passed this on to my own and many other children.
The excitement of climbing a tree or catching a Bully Head in the river are real life pleasures - not electronic.
I remember one rainy school holiday with 3 adolescent boys to occupy I got out the Ludo/Snakes and ladders boards -

Never had they seen one but of what fun we all had that day. The phone rang and it was someone from social care - as I answered it there was a roar of triumph as one of the boys got 'home' - It sounds like a football match the person on the other end of the phone remarked -
Err no just Ludo  :-[  :))
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk