Author Topic: Tree removal  (Read 1997 times)

dave7634

• View Profile
Tree removal
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:33:24 PM »
I noticed (oh hello forum sorry) the other week while walking to work that they were removing trees from the side of the river near to Queens Park to alleviate (hopefully) any flooding incident as we have had of past years. I've thought about this and cannot think what difference removing the top last 9/10ths of the tree BUT leaving the bulk of the root and trunk in situ would do and how would this help? Any ideas?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Tree removal
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »
Welcome aboard Dave  :)

Perhaps the roots hold the river bank together. Just a thought.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

dave7634

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 08:52:42 AM »
I've thought about the falling dead leaves maybe. Who knows. I think they'd be better giving some volunteers some wellies and cleaning out the discarded shopping trolleys/ cycles etc which are always in there. Surely that must have an effect...?

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »
I would think its to stop the banks collapsing more than anything.  However leaving the stumps in the water would also slow down the flow at normal levels.

By what I gather, there are a lot of restrictions on waterways.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »
From what I gather, they are building an undergound sump which can store flood water until such time as it is safe to release it and pump it further down the river.I saw some very large bore tubes going in.
Apparently this has been done at other flood sites (storforth lane rail bridge for example), and I beleive on the former Trebor factory site.
I could be wrong of course, my wife says I usually am, so please completeley diregard what I have just posted.

Kind regards,
henpecked
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk