Author Topic: Abuse of the elderly in Care Homes  (Read 5480 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Abuse of the elderly in Care Homes
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »
This is beyond sickening - and the perpetrator only got four months - probably out in two.

I worry as the government spend less on care that this sort of thing will become more prevalent.

Please be aware this footage is very disturbing.

http://bit.ly/NCs0kA
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Abuse of the elderly in Care Homes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:59:59 PM »
All care for the elderly should be scrutinized care agencies who go into homes included.
Which independant body goes into homes doing spot checks on them and making sure everything is ok and working for the elderly - non as far as I am aware ---- ohhh don't start me on a rant  >:(  >:(
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:06:03 PM »
Most of the homes that get revealed for bad press are companies given contracts by gov.
Usually at a knockdown prive no doubt.
Is it down to the companies to vet their staff on a higher level, or do they just employ part trained
don't give a sh*t animals on minimum wage ?

Again, just a question. 
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:24:47 PM »
Gov standards now I think require NVQ level 2 (for basic I think) for all care staff, at least they were on about bringing this in.
High turn over of staff I think for all care agencies in homes or caring at home, I suppose 'some' of them are contracted not sure how the rest works.
To me a lot depends on the age of staff (many are young and can barely look after themselves) but have to start somewhere obviously and as long as they are willing and respectful with training should do ok.
The problem is (and I speak from experience) staff go into homes with not enough training and there is no one, as I have said, to check up on how well the agencies are performing in Care homes and peoples homes.
All local authorities should have an independant body of people to do this - again it comes down to money probably, but it's not good enough is it - how vulnerable are our elderly???
Has anyone on here had a relative or someone they know in a care home or visited by care agencies and knows WHO is responsible for checking these people that our local authorities set on???

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »
>> All local authorities should have an independant body of people to do this - again it comes down to money probably, but it's not good enough is it - how vulnerable are our elderly???

Nail on the head.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:35:58 PM »
Yes Pete -  and yes I have been known to stamp my foot on this one  >:(, can't really say too much but have had first hand experience of the problems,  and no ---- I don't live in an old folks home  :)) --- yet  :)) but got a room booked for my hubby (well that's what I keep telling him  ;) ) mmm he thinks I'm joking  ::)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:48:50 PM »
You're a cruel woman OC  :P

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:03:06 AM »
You're a cruel woman OC  :P

Yes that's what hubby says  :))

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
AFAIK, the only Govt. body that deals with this issue is the CQC (Care Quality Commission) who do spot checks on care homes to rank them so that future 'inmates' - sorry residents - and their families can make some kind of informed choice on which home best suits a persons needs etc.

I know that I found it useful both when my Sisters home closed down and when we had to place Mum in a care home.

I think that the staff have a difficult job (not all elderly residents are pleasant and polite!) and tend to be overworked (as they seem to be continually short staffed). That, coupled with the fact that they aren't very well paid, makes it no surprise that these places cannot keep staff.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
Yes you are right Alsatian the CQC do check on care homes but of course they can't be there all the time and the low pay to staff does mean a high turnover for the homes.
On the other hand I am not aware that the CQC do checks in peoples homes although any written complaints 'should' go to them.
Having said that, it is not enough - L/A's should take some responsibility themselves, and gov ought to give an allowance for this. (Think I just saw a pig fly over our garden).
Children in care get it - why not the elderly and vulnerable adults.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
Yes you are right Alsatian the CQC do check on care homes but of course they can't be there all the time and the low pay to staff does mean a high turnover for the homes.
On the other hand I am not aware that the CQC do checks in peoples homes although any written complaints 'should' go to them.
Having said that, it is not enough - L/A's should take some responsibility themselves, and gov ought to give an allowance for this. (Think I just saw a pig fly over our garden).
Children in care get it - why not the elderly and vulnerable adults.

With you 100% on that OC, I often wonder about the CQC 'spot checks' - are they totally unannounced or are the homes given prior notice of their visit - which, if so, gives them time to 'prepare'?
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »
Spot on Alsatian.
No idea how the CQC work their checksin care homes, when my late MIL was in a nursing home we just used to turn up un-announced.
I miss very little  ;) but of course again can't be there 24x7.
As for the care agencies who support at home I do not  know of any checks which are implemented and think there should be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk