Author Topic: So simple a child of three could do it!  (Read 1661 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
So simple a child of three could do it!
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:17:46 AM »
I am not one of life's D.I.Y'ers. Yes I can get by, so long as it's not too complicated, but I've never been overly keen when it comes to decorating. Wallpapering never done it wouldn't know where to start so I get a professional in. Likewise painting, I can wield a roller but if I come into contact with certain paints I'm in trouble, I have skin issues, so don't use brushes {get him in again}
So anything that makes my chores easier I will buy and try...... the latest one I bought the other day was the newly advertised Unibond re -new bath sealant as ours is long overdo and as I made a pigs ear of the last time I did it {with a tube and gun} I thought that's the very thing for me as it says you put it over the old sealant, so less work, and has it's own leveller etc. and well you've probably seen the advert.
Why do adverts make it look so easy, people in the trade who probably do this about 20 times a day yes they can do it with their eyes shut  but I've just used the sealant and with everything prepared it's taken me well over an hour and a half to just go round the bath and the sink and it's far from being a professional finish.

The old saying "A bad workman always blames his tools" in this case I do. It looks a doddle on the telly but it doesn't show the sealant coming out in fits and starts, the slightly uneven tiles and grout leaving gaps in the sealant, the smoother falling off and I gave up trying to get behind the taps. The only way I could get it to look anything like decent was to remove the levelling nozzle, squirt sealant directly from the tube and smooth it using the leveller in my hand. If I do have to do this again I'm going back to the gun, at least you can smooth it with a wet finger, something you can't do with this stuff.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: So simple a child of three could do it!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:46:27 PM »
I struggle with the guns mainly because I don't have the strength in my hand/fingers but how is this unibond applied?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:18:23 PM »
It's in a plastic bottle about the same shape and size as a small bottle of shower gel. Your supposed to squeeze the bottle as you run it along the bath edge and the shaped applicator on the end is designed to shape the sealant as it comes out. It's quite obvious it's designed to work on one application...... fat chance. 
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »
Sounds like it had air inside it
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk