Author Topic: Inspire Community Garden - Council to close it.  (Read 1669 times)

osbrook

• View Profile
Inspire Community Garden - Council to close it.
« on: October 19, 2018, 02:58:40 PM »

Planning Application: CHE/18/00605/FUL  - Ashgate Car Park

I have raised my objections to some of the plan submitted to redevelop 6 Ashgate Road.  I do not object to most of the plan, however I would like to see a minor adjustment to the boundary wall at the south west corner.

I have worked with Inspire Community Gardens (ICG) who have always had Vehicle access off the car park.  Knowing the car park was for sale ICG worked with one of the previous interested parties and found that they would accommodate access along the northern boundary of the ICG and Fair Play land.  When this fell through ICG were informed that the sales literature had been amended to include the right of access.   This appears to have been removed at the time of the contract creation.   The entrance of the Car Park to ICG has allowed for direct access by people attending the Garden.  Some of these people have had mental and physical health problems and the way the garden has helped them is unbelievable (I was very sceptical of this sort of thing).  For background see their personal report of progress through the ICG.  Pauline Blob!  I also know one couple in their 80’s that make a 70mile round trip to visit ICG which will be prevented for them if access at the top is removed.

I also work with Young people including Brownies, Beavers, Cubs and Scouts.  These groups visit the Garden to learn about growing, and food production along with community service, outdoor crafts etc. Last visit was on the 19th September 2018

ICG provides advice, information, practical help and guidance towards healthy eating and involves other organic groups, as it is known that CBC has 3 initiatives that these fit into. Additionally, ICG provides a Green gym. to combat obesity and improve health.

As it is now ICG that runs the very popular Potato day, bringing a lot of people to Chesterfield.  This will be put at risk as the stock of potatoes and seeds are stored at ICG.  This would not be possible without Vehicle access.

The loss of vehicle access or any safe access to the Inspire garden will stop all these visits and will be a huge resource loss to Chesterfield.  The Inspire Garden layout was designed for disabled access from the Top (Ramps and slopes).  Mobility vehicles that currently access the ICG will be denied access due to this plan in it’s current form.  It will be dangerous to try to walk in from a meeting point away from the Inspire Garden with 20-30 young children (aged 6-10 years).  Where could the group be safely assembled?  Then they would access ICG via the only foot access along a footpath/cycle path, where drug needles have been seen.

Safety also comes in to play by removing Vehicle access to the site as no Ambulances or Fire Engine could get close.  Delaying any response.  Creating a land locked site isn’t good for anybody, including the borough council if the current lease is not extended.

What I propose is that the South West corner of the new Mental health unit boundary be adjusted to retain access to ICG, to assist with this perhaps Inspire Garden members could move the current entrance West by 3m.    The area created could then be incorporated into a turning circle for a cul-de-sac if the rest of the car park is developed into residential properties.  An additional benefit is that by adding in additional breaks in the retaining wall will strengthen it with the returns.  As has been experienced on Spital Lane, Chesterfield, the building on raised land has come into problems with land slippage.

All new developments of this size need to give back to the community and it is noted that on the Council web site that this can be in the form of land and not money.   I believe that moving the Goldwell Arch to be visible has been suggested but this is seen not so much as a benefit to the community but a very nice prestige symbol for the builder to have on their development and would/should be done regardless.

I also feel that Inspire Garden is a benefit and bonus to both the new Mental Health unit and any future residential build.  ICG working with the new unit could potentially provide an idea environment for recovery.  Either as a quiet space or as a place to work at gaining self-confidence and skills.  If the only entrance is moved half a mile away this would not be as effective for the new unit.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Inspire Community Garden - Council to close it.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:30:04 PM »
Then they would access ICG via the only foot access along a footpath/cycle path, where drug needles have been seen.

I'm very familiar with Fairplay, as I believe our fellow Mod MD Old Cruser is.
Cannot some agreement be reached with the developers to assist with modifications to access from said footpath or the Mecca carpark which is already widely used by parents etc attending Fairplay due to the parking problems already encountered along Alexander Rd?

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:27:29 PM »
Yes I am very familiar with Fairplay but not the area of building you are speaking of?

At one time we used to park in the Mecca car park ( as did fairplays buses when taking members on a trip ).
This was changed some time ago and I think parking fees were applied?
As I haven't been for awhile i am unsure if this is still in operation?

I take it you are speaking of Sensory gardens which I totally agree are very valuable to people across a wide rand of disabilities.

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 02:45:11 PM »
Planning Application: CHE/18/00605/FUL  - Ashgate Car Park

I have raised my objections to some of the plan submitted to redevelop 6 Ashgate Road.  I do not object to most of the plan, however I would like to see a minor adjustment to the boundary wall at the south west corner.

I have worked with Inspire Community Gardens (ICG) who have always had Vehicle access off the car park.  Knowing the car park was for sale ICG worked with one of the previous interested parties and found that they would accommodate access along the northern boundary of the ICG and Fair Play land.  When this fell through ICG were informed that the sales literature had been amended to include the right of access.   This appears to have been removed at the time of the contract creation.   The entrance of the Car Park to ICG has allowed for direct access by people attending the Garden.  Some of these people have had mental and physical health problems and the way the garden has helped them is unbelievable (I was very sceptical of this sort of thing).  For background see their personal report of progress through the ICG.  Pauline Blob!  I also know one couple in their 80’s that make a 70mile round trip to visit ICG which will be prevented for them if access at the top is removed.

I also work with Young people including Brownies, Beavers, Cubs and Scouts.  These groups visit the Garden to learn about growing, and food production along with community service, outdoor crafts etc. Last visit was on the 19th September 2018

ICG provides advice, information, practical help and guidance towards healthy eating and involves other organic groups, as it is known that CBC has 3 initiatives that these fit into. Additionally, ICG provides a Green gym. to combat obesity and improve health.

As it is now ICG that runs the very popular Potato day, bringing a lot of people to Chesterfield.  This will be put at risk as the stock of potatoes and seeds are stored at ICG.  This would not be possible without Vehicle access.

The loss of vehicle access or any safe access to the Inspire garden will stop all these visits and will be a huge resource loss to Chesterfield.  The Inspire Garden layout was designed for disabled access from the Top (Ramps and slopes).  Mobility vehicles that currently access the ICG will be denied access due to this plan in it’s current form.  It will be dangerous to try to walk in from a meeting point away from the Inspire Garden with 20-30 young children (aged 6-10 years).  Where could the group be safely assembled?  Then they would access ICG via the only foot access along a footpath/cycle path, where drug needles have been seen.

Safety also comes in to play by removing Vehicle access to the site as no Ambulances or Fire Engine could get close.  Delaying any response.  Creating a land locked site isn’t good for anybody, including the borough council if the current lease is not extended.

What I propose is that the South West corner of the new Mental health unit boundary be adjusted to retain access to ICG, to assist with this perhaps Inspire Garden members could move the current entrance West by 3m.    The area created could then be incorporated into a turning circle for a cul-de-sac if the rest of the car park is developed into residential properties.  An additional benefit is that by adding in additional breaks in the retaining wall will strengthen it with the returns.  As has been experienced on Spital Lane, Chesterfield, the building on raised land has come into problems with land slippage.

All new developments of this size need to give back to the community and it is noted that on the Council web site that this can be in the form of land and not money.   I believe that moving the Goldwell Arch to be visible has been suggested but this is seen not so much as a benefit to the community but a very nice prestige symbol for the builder to have on their development and would/should be done regardless.

I also feel that Inspire Garden is a benefit and bonus to both the new Mental Health unit and any future residential build.  ICG working with the new unit could potentially provide an idea environment for recovery.  Either as a quiet space or as a place to work at gaining self-confidence and skills.  If the only entrance is moved half a mile away this would not be as effective for the new unit.

Hi osbrook, I've done a bit of digging. I can't comment anymore only to say - sit tight and lets wait and see --  ;) (y)

osbrook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 09:43:20 PM »
Thanks.  would be a shame to loose ICG

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 10:15:37 PM »
It would!! Everything crossed that they LISTEN x

osbrook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 02:23:56 PM »
The Planning meeting is set for Monday 10th Dec.   However the planners have recommended the proposal is approved.  This will ruin the Inspire Community Garden for anyone other than the very able bodied.   Not what the Garden was created for.

Even then the able will need to learn how to carry bags of compost and sacks of potatoes in and out of the site along a path from Chester Street/Monkey Park.

By the way Potato Day 2019 is Jan 26th in Lower Pavements.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »
Obviously true to form they plough on regardless of how it affects others.
Total disregard of people who already face daily challenges in their lives! >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk