Author Topic: Crispin v Tesco  (Read 10659 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Crispin v Tesco
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »
Looks as though the council have turned down plans to convert the Crispin into another Tesco.

:)

http://on.fb.me/YWqrCg
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

therealjr

• View Profile
Re: Crispin v Tesco
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:20:54 PM »
We've had this conversation before I'm not sure they can turn it down as it's not a change of use. I will try and find the relevant minute and investigate
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »
http://www.chesterfield.gov.uk/Search-Planning-Applications-653.html

Appears that T**** have made application to make various alterations to the building. These were discussed at a planning meeting today.
The officer involved (Paul Staniforth the #1 guy in planning) recommended that the councillors agree to the knocking down of the conservatory and the installation of bollards and the ATM's but rejected some other proposals. This doesn't save the Crispin it just means that T**** can't make it look like they wanted to.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »
Just read that Tesco have backed off and the Crispin is safe. :)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 06:22:51 PM »
I reckon Tesco need to concentrate on making more profit on what they have.
Pleased it's not going ahead
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »
Also, lets hope the landlord and locals make a go of it.

Added:

Just seen this on Facebook from Toby Perkins - "GREAT NEWS! Have had a phone call from Tesco to say that they wont now be going ahead with the plans to turn the Crispin into an Express store. They were very taken with the strength of the community campaign, thanks to everyone who attended the meetings at my office, joined the Facebook group, signed the petition, attended and organised the public meetings.

It has been a real community effort to Save the Crispin and we have achieved between us all what many people thought would be impossible, well done all, I hope that Enterprise will now enter into dialogue to secure the long term future of the pub. WELL DONE AGAIN TO EVERYONE!"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:40:56 PM by Pete »

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »
Lets hope the Somerset House in Calow can be saved too. Enterprise Inns as well (same as Crispin). As Toby Perkins was involved, I, and at least one other person are consulting with Dennis Skinner to see if he will lend similar support.*

The Somerset House has done very well recently - new management going in tomorrow & apparently open for another 6 months approx. I don't think Tesco can commit themselves to potential pub conversions until the investigation into their profit projections is sorted. That may take some time. Money they can't/perhaps afford to spend pending the investigation.

*I know Dennis doesn't interest himself in planning applications, but despite council concerns & thousands of signatures - the final appeal by Tesco to Whitehall was upheld.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »
As much as we want to welcome this 'power to the people' victory, small convenience type shops are still the route forward that the big 4,are going to take. So as Scimitar says once T*****'s new chief exec has them back on track they will be returning to this policy. The battle may be won but the war is far from over.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 06:57:25 PM »
As much as we want to welcome this 'power to the people' victory, small convenience type shops are still the route forward that the big 4,are going to take. So as Scimitar says once T*****'s new chief exec has them back on track they will be returning to this policy. The battle may be won but the war is far from over.
Don't worry, I know that - the Co-op are doing the same - going back to their having a shop in every village seemingly. It's like turning the clock back 50 years. Spital Hotel, Goldminers Newbold, a new build in Tishelf (former "Slap & Tickle" pub., The Wellington New Whittington.
I don't quite know if this will sound right, but I guess the Co-op seems to be more acceptable than Tesco in these situations, although both businesses are troubled.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
I think if Tesco really wanted it they would get it, they know that councils cannot gamble the amount legal fees could potentially cost to fight it all the way to the top.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 07:57:49 PM »
Tesco had both - tooth and nail.
But backed out of the Crispin.?
Yet Somerset House had many more objectors than Crispin & Tesco win.
Notwithstanding the access to CNDRH blah blah.

jake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 10:24:55 PM »
The Somerset House  new management going in tomorrow ?
what is happening to Jayne?

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »
The Somerset House  new management going in tomorrow ?
what is happening to Jayne?
Don't know - they just have Severn's bar left AFAIK.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 07:36:54 PM »
It seems curiously enough that we have got our wish granted. Enterprise Inns no longer own the Somerset House. It has been bought by another brewery and is under new management. ;D
It appears that the business dealings between Tesco & Enterprise are being investigated due to alleged underhand practice, or so I'm told.
This appears to be the reason behind the Crispin getting its reprieve as well - Tesco pulled out for a reason.
What this all means in terms of the Crooked Spire pub refurbishment (owned by Enterprise) I'm not sure, but I can't say that I've seen anyone working in it all week.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »
It seems curiously enough that we have got our wish granted. Enterprise Inns no longer own the Somerset House. It has been bought by another brewery and is under new management. ;D
It appears that the business dealings between Tesco & Enterprise are being investigated due to alleged underhand practice, or so I'm told.
This appears to be the reason behind the Crispin getting its reprieve as well - Tesco pulled out for a reason.
What this all means in terms of the Crooked Spire pub refurbishment (owned by Enterprise) I'm not sure, but I can't say that I've seen anyone working in it all week.

(y)  :)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk