Author Topic: To Much Pressure On Young People!  (Read 3184 times)

ironsky2

To Much Pressure On Young People!
« on: November 07, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »
They say 'I wish I was 21 again ' but theres no way I would want to be 21 again now no way. When I was that age things were cheaper used to look forward to the weekend life seemed less complicated the Internet was only in its early years Facebook was years in the future. Today theres pressure on Childern to get good grades while at school so much so many don't have a real childhood. Then there is the 'image' thing young girls staving themselfs to look like the sticks with no shape lads killing themselfs in the gym trying  to look a Greek god. Many live there lives online which creates its own set of problems many don't have any social skills . Sighs'

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: To Much Pressure On Young People!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 09:05:45 PM »
No sympathy for them. I went through it. Let's stop making life easier for the young.
Let's try and get them to take jobs even though they may be low paid.
It's how the benefit scheme makes then better off without jobs is the difficult to understand part.

Think that makes sense !!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
I've lost count with the number of children I have had staying with me, the last time I counted it was well over a hundred, so I guess it's probably around the 200 mark now.
I'm a believer in the 'back to basics' way of parenting and teaching.
Give a child the woods to climb a tree or hunt for ants nests, a river to look for fish in, a park to play in etc etc and guess what I had 3 adolescent males one half term when it peed it down all week.
Guess what we played - Ludo, snakes and ladders and Queenie a card game I was taught as a child. The lads loved it, sounded like a football match at times in our home with the excited shouts and laughter.  :)
The only thing I ever said to them regarding school was to 'do the best they could' - no pressure. The computer was limited - they didn't have the time to spend hours on it - too busy living a life as it should be.

I was the same with my daughter, always spent lots of time with her, she was a good swimmer when young, I took her 3 time a week,  she was in the Brownies, did fundraising for the Chapel and school. Enjoyed helping me to cook at home etc etc.
Life dealt her a cruel blow at 17yrs, but know what - she fought to gain some of her life back - look around Chesterfield, notice the places which are accessible - my daughter fought for many of those to be made that way.

We do now live in a world where appearance is important, the kids needs help in confidence to feel comfortable with who they are, then again when I was a teenager, the model Twiggy came along and I reckon the trend to be a stick insect with lucky legs ( lucky they don't snap ) began back then.

It starts with the parents for some of these problems and the buck has to stop with them.

Shit! I thought I had put my soap box away - all your fault ironsky  :))
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:10:25 AM »
To save creating a new post I've tagged onto this one.

I don't know about pressure on young people, what about pressures on the elderly. Young people are just that young, they have their whole lives to sort out and re adjust, o.k. some do some don't I'm not saying they have it cushy now but they have youth on their side.
MANY people of my generation who left school at 15 and worked to 65 had to "go it alone" compare my situation now, compared to my parents when I was a child, my lifestyle now they could only dream about, yet if you just look at adverts on telly for people of my age it's all about saving up for an expensive funeral {over 50's plan etc.} so your kids don't have to.
The upshot of some of these adverts, and others, seems to be you have now retired and you're only remaining time left on this earth is to make your offspring and grand children's lives financially better, in other words your just a bank to your relatives and they are basically just waiting for you to die.
Don't spend it that's our inheritance! well my lot know better.
I'm not saying "No one helped me so I'm not helping them", If I was well off or reasonably well off I wouldn't hesitate to help my kids and grand kids I feel to some extent it is a duty {and I do when I can} but not at the expense of going without or struggling myself I've just had 65 years of that and I want to enjoy my retirement, besides they will get what bit I have eventually and there's still no pockets in shrouds.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »
I'm going to try and gauge it where "we've" spent most of our dosh just before "we" shuffle up our mortal coils.
If there's a bit left, the wolves can fight between themselves. That's if our lass isn't still about.
If she is still about, i'm sure she'll spend it as she sees fit cos I really wont care will I  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 08:08:45 PM »
I certainly never had any hand outs. My parents didn't have any money.
Instead we saved for three years before getting married and putting a deposit on a terraced house.

I think many young today want everything that is in fashion - straight away rather than save for it.
Never done that.

I have helped my daughter when she moved to independence - foolishly I told her to wait before she moved out and save and I would match what she saved  :-? :-? :-?

Since then I admit to buying her a profile bed but that's it now
It's all mine  >: >: >; >; >;
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk