Author Topic: Wheelchair v Buggy  (Read 10317 times)

poppy

• View Profile
Wheelchair v Buggy
« on: November 11, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »
Not often I am enticed to rant but this story really lit my fuse. Reported on the news that a wheelchair user had been unable to travel on the bus as a 'lady' had put her buggy there. She was asked to move by the driver ie fold the buggy and store it in the spaces provided but declined. It's a good job i wasn't a passenger! I know there are a few bus people on here and I would welcome their opinion as it must put them in a really difficult position. Does it happen often?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Wheelchair v Buggy
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »
Poppy you have posted on what I too was contemplating doing  ;)
You are right there are some on here who will be able to advise us on the ins and outs of this.

I have found people won't move feet or bags out of the way to let wheelchair users position on the bus and to be honest I reckon the drivers have enough on without playing body guard come bouncers on the buses.
Also the mums with pushchairs have a right to a slot on the buses.

So Poppy, I too will be interested to read what the drivers opinions are.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »
I can understand the mother thinking her child was safer 'parked' in it's buggy, but saying that, seat belts aren't required on buses so your child should be safe in your arms. To 'not' give up the place to a wheelchair bound person is a disgrace. I hope the mother sees this, though I doubt she'd bat an eyelid at it if she did !!!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:37:11 PM »
That's shocking poppy - I can see why you'd be upset, some folks have no heart.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
If its the First buses story, the signage clearly states 'wheelchair'

That woman who refused should be sought out, named and shamed and banned from using First buses.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:50:53 PM »
I also sympathise with the mother and toddler. Not easy if you have a baby asleep in a pushchair to get the kid out who would probably start screaming, then try to fold it up whilst handling baby plus shopping. Also some people in wheelchairs can walk short distances (seen plenty of electric buggies parked outside shops).
No doubt other passenger sat there tutting at the disturbance and delay when a bit of practical help might have been welcome.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 08:07:20 PM »
I also sympathise with the mother and toddler. Not easy if you have a baby asleep in a pushchair to get the kid out who would probably start screaming, then try to fold it up whilst handling baby plus shopping. Also some people in wheelchairs can walk short distances (seen plenty of electric buggies parked outside shops).
No doubt other passenger sat there tutting at the disturbance and delay when a bit of practical help might have been welcome.

Slight deviation but not wanting to detract from Poppy's post but has anyone see that huge 4x4 scooter in the precinct? It has a tax disc on and I have wondered if it should be in the precinct?
It definitely wouldn't get on a bus

poppy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
He was in a wheelchair not an electric buggy and it was quite obvious that he wasn't at all mobile. Seems common decency to me. Had the lady been willing to move then other passengers may have helped her. As simondjuk pointed out it did very clearly state 'wheelchair' by the space.

poppy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »
Cross posted OC

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:55:39 PM »
I have watched this on the news Poppy and agree with the principle of it, but is there a space to store buggies on buses?

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »
I have watched this on the news Poppy and agree with the principle of it, but is there a space to store buggies on buses?

There are on the buses I go on (if i need to use public transport)
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »
I've soent the last 3 days on the London Underground. There are signs all over the place about certain seats being for disabled people, spaces for wheelchairs or indeed buggies.
The interesting thing however is the wording on these adverts. They are all worded in such a way to be a suggestion, recommendation or polite request.
As such if someone decides to be so bloody minded to sit on one of the seats or park their rucksack in the wheelchair space the situation appears on the face of it to be unenforceable.
This woman with the pushchair apears to have been one of those BM people. She obviously felt her childs safety was the more important factor to her (difficult to argue that one with a mother).
My point being given all the above I'm surprised this case found its way to court.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »
I understand the court case could have been today, & have just listened to the debate on Jeremy Vine show from a couple of days ago.
Most of our buses will allow two small (one child) type buggies. Then there is the wheelchair space as well. However some buggies are double size & frankly are larger than a wheelchair.
From what I've heard, I would have to say that the wheelchair space remains vacant at all times - wheelchairs only - no buggies.
I have sympathy with mums & buggies, & wheelchair users - but when it comes to a bus driver having to make a decision regarding an already occupied designated wheelchair space........need I say more?
How would you feel in that position - it's your bus & you are in charge of it - your the boss in effect. I ain't going to ask a mother & child to vacate that space if they are unwilling to do so because I will get nothing abuse from them. Most of these buggies come attached with 4 x Tesco equivalent shopping bags on the handles, so asking them to fold the buggy & sit child on knee OR get off the bus & make way for a Wheelchair...!
As I said before, I think the wheelchair space, as designated, should be kept clear at all times.
We Bus drivers need firm clarification on this, because whatever we do in these situations frankly, the back up from your employers needs to be simplified, and, good or bad, I reckon this is the only solution.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 08:54:56 PM »
I'd back you all the way Scimitar. You do your job just like me and Mags do.  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »
I'd back you all the way Scimitar. You do your job just like me and Mags do.  ;)
Cheers Mate - Love & respect to both of you ;)
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk