Author Topic: Wheelchair v Buggy  (Read 10318 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Wheelchair v Buggy
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »
So anyone can use the wheelchair space on buses a judge has ruled.
I'm wondering now if  this will leave the wheelchair spaces on Trains open to buggies?
Also is it going to have a knock on affect to the Blue Badge spaces for parking!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »
One can only hope females, or males for that matter, would have the common decency to give up the space if they had a buggy. If they don't, does the driver of the bus have to refuse the wheelchair passenger ?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »
Just seen the news. Kin ridiculous !!
Quicker I win the lottery the better. I'm off   C:-)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
Off where?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »
Anywhere I fancy at the time. I'd have a UK property I can call home, then just travel the world. Come home when I like.

Living the dream  ;)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
One can only hope females, or males for that matter, would have the common decency to give up the space if they had a buggy. If they don't, does the driver of the bus have to refuse the wheelchair passenger ?
[/b]

I would think so Fly and of course the disability discrimination act as it was called is now a dream as this party have stopped all challenges as they have stopped legal aid.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »
The older I get, I begin to wonder how politics works in this country.

Sadly I can only see one alternative to the bunch in power today.
Respect to UKIP, Independents, Greens and LibDems. No brainer IMHO !!

Engine Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 10:08:40 PM »
It's a nightmare on the trains, not only do we have wheelchairs (and a lot of them each day) we have buggies as you might expect, then we also have Bicycles! all wanting to be in the same space! Our trains are not much bigger than a bus, ok we might have three or four of them coupled together, but try asking someone to get on another coach...........................Oh my god, unbelieveable :o.
The thing we don't have that buses do, is a max load limit, the only thing that defines how many passengers we can carry is if we can get the doors closed behind them.
It's nothing to load two or three hundred folks plus wheel chairs and buggies onto a two car unit. And those left on the platform will still moan and complain that they can't get on!
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak!

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 11:20:18 PM »
To be fair in all my years as a bus driver, I haven't had to face the situation - in a confrontational sense about wheelchairs vs buggies. Buggies vs buggies yes. If we are full so be it.
I don't think its right that the bus driver should have to make the decision to effectively remove a passenger with a small child in a buggy to allow a wheelchair on. They have paid there fare - simple.
The only alternative is to allow only 2 small buggies, or 1 large buggy, & keep the designated wheelchair space free at all times until required.
I guess that wont happen though. Try telling Mums with buggies that yes, they can use the designated disabled space - but they might have to vacate it for a wheelchair & exit the bus. Derbyshire Times will have a field day "bus driver throws pregnant Mum of three off bus in winter storm!"
First come, first served I say.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 08:46:47 AM »

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 07:48:52 PM »
Stagecoach are sticking to their policy nevertheless - i.e. we regard wheelchair users as a priority as per the official terms of carriage available on on their website.
HomeTimetablesTicketsService UpdatesCareersCustomer Services
HomeConditions of Carriage
Conditions of Carriage
1) Introduction
Stagecoach values your custom and will endeavour to ensure you travel safely and in comfort on a clean, reliable bus service.

This document contains the Conditions under which we carry you and applies to anyone who travels with us.

Our Conditions are consistent with the relevant statutory regulations, including those relating to the conduct of passengers and lost property and do not affect your statutory rights.

Conditions may vary on certain services operated on behalf of other organisations. Any variations will be publicised locally.

2) General Conditions
We aim to provide a safe, reliable and punctual service but there are occasions when we are simply unable to run as advertised due to factors outside of our control such as road works, diversions, exceptional traffic congestion, major events, extreme weather conditions and other unforeseen operating circumstances.

Wherever possible, we will take reasonable steps to advise you of any disruption to services but, in the event of cancellation, delay, diversion or termination of any service or the service being unavailable to you as a result of the vehicle being fully loaded or for any other reasons, we shall not be liable for losses, damages, cost or inconvenience that you suffer as a result.

We do not guarantee that services will connect unless we specifically advertise a guaranteed connection.

We do not in any way exclude or limit our liability for death or personal injury resulting from our negligence nor are your statutory rights as a consumer affected.

3) Conduct of Passengers
We reserve the right to refuse you entry, or require you to leave our buses or premises at any time, should we have reason to believe that your behaviour jeopardises the safety, security and comfort of others.

When travelling with us you must in particular:

Refrain from smoking either conventional or electronic cigarettes.
Behave in a manner that is not abusive or threatening and does not cause offence to other customers or staff.
Refrain from eating and drinking items which make the environment unpleasant for other customers or otherwise cause offence.
Refrain from consuming alcohol
Refrain from playing loud music or operating a personal device at a volume which may be heard by other passengers.
Refrain from leaving rubbish or discarded items on the bus.
Not be wearing soiled working clothes or carrying any soiled items which might stain the seats etc
Follow the instructions of our staff and act in a manner which shows due regard for the safety and comfort of other customers and company employees, including not standing adjacent to emergency exits, the vehicle entrance, next to the driver or sitting in gangways, on staircases or standing upstairs on a double deck vehicle.
If the vehicle you are travelling on is fitted with seatbelts, you are legally required to wear it.
Notify a member of staff immediately if you sustain an injury whilst boarding, travelling on or getting off a bus.
Follow the directions of staff concerning the maximum number of standing passengers that a bus is permitted to carry. All of our vehicles contain clear signage setting out their standing capacity.
Except in an emergency, not talk to the driver whilst the bus is moving, obstruct the driver’s vision or otherwise distract him.
Have due regard at all times for the needs of our elderly, young and disabled customers and, in particular, vacate seats and spaces designed for the elderly and disabled when requested
Not distribute leaflets, papers or other articles or offer anything for sale or collect for charity without our prior written consent
Not interfere with equipment fitted on the vehicle
Not deliberately damage or deface any part of the vehicle
Intending customers who, in the opinion of the driver or other company officer, appear likely to behave in an antisocial manner may not be allowed to travel.

If you are in breach of these and other statutory regulations you will be obliged to give your name and address to a company officer or may be restrained or removed from the bus or our premises by a company officer, a police officer or a community support officer and refused further travel without refund. We also reserve the right to take any other measures we consider necessary to protect the safety and comfort of our customers and staff including temporarily or permanently banning you from travelling with us following an incident of misconduct.

Buses and premises may be fitted with audio CCTV to provide added security for our customers and staff. Appropriate signage will be in place where audio CCTV is in use and the video and sound recordings used solely for the monitoring of safety, security, service quality and in support of relevant criminal and civil legal proceedings and complaint investigation. Images of you may be provided to the police, DVSA, the Traffic Commissioner or any other enforcement agency at their reasonable request.

Whilst we will do everything we reasonably can to control conduct of other customers, we cannot be held responsible for their conduct.

4) Getting on and off the bus
In most urban areas, buses will normally pick up and set down passengers at marked bus stops. In busy areas, certain stops will be allocated to specific services.

You must not attempt to board or alight from a moving bus or from a bus which is stationary at a point which is not a designated bus stop such as traffic lights and road works etc.

You must not attempt to board a bus once it has left its designated stand in any bus station.

You must not use the emergency exits on any vehicle except in a genuine emergency.

In certain areas there are no designated bus stops and, in those areas, buses will stop on request where it is safe to do so. You should always pick a point away from parked cars, road junctions, etc and give a clear signal in good time to the driver of the approaching vehicle.

When you come to alight, you should ring the bell once in good time to alert the driver.

5) Carriage of Wheelchairs, Small Prams and Buggies
We are constantly investing in updating our fleet to improve access and space for the disabled in wheelchairs, disabled buggies and certain approved mobility scooters and for passengers travelling with young children in small prams and buggies.

Wheelchairs, disabled buggies, approved mobility scooters, small prams and unfolded buggies may only be carried on suitable low floor vehicles. Wherever possible, the use of low floor vehicles will be shown on all timetable publicity and, whilst we will endeavour to operate a low floor vehicle on all advertised journeys, we reserve the right to substitute a non low floor vehicle when no low floor vehicle is available.

Subject to space being available and the discretion of the driver, we will carry small prams and unfolded buggies on low floor buses within the designated area but only when it is not required by a passenger in a wheelchair or approved mobility scooter (passengers in wheelchairs have absolute priority by law). Prams and buggies must not block the aisle of the vehicle at any time.

You are, however, required by law to ensure that the designated wheelchair space is made available if a customer wishes to board with a wheelchair (or, if no wheelchair user is travelling, a disabled buggy or approved mobility scooter).

You are required to co-operate in allowing proper use of the designated wheelchair space by vacating this space if it is required by a customer in a wheelchair (or, if no wheelchair user is travelling, a disabled buggy or approved mobility scooter) including repositioning small prams, folding any buggies and storing them in the luggage space. Failure to comply with this requirement will comprise a breach of Section 3 above and may lead to further action as set out in that Section.

Detailed guidance on accessing our services with a wheelchair, a disabled buggy or an approved mobility scooter is available by telephone from the local Stagecoach operating company’s Disability Helpline, in writing in the form of a local leaflet and online at www.stagecoachbus.com

Details of approved mobility scooters are available from the Disability Helpline which can also provide access to the formal approval process and issue of a permit for travel required before taking a mobility scooter on a bus.

Stagecoach has adopted the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT) Code of Practice for the use and acceptance of mobility scooters on low-floor buses. The Code sets out standardised procedures, as well as clear information regarding the types of mobility scooters that can be accommodated on buses, to help operators ensure that mobility scooters are able to safely use their services.

The Code provides for approved mobility scooter users to be issued with a permit for travel that will allow the bus driver to recognise that the mobility scooter has been approved by the operator and the user has been trained in how to safely board and alight from the bus.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
That's good to know Scmitar.
I traveled on a bus over the weekend into town and read the notices at the side of the space.
TBH I found them a bit contradictory - or it may have been how I was reading them?

The yellow said biggies could be put there and there was a black sign saying for wheelchair users only?
I think the problem would arise if a sleeping baby/ young child was parked up in the w/chair space and parent having to take them out fold up the buggy and store it?

What would be your decision on that scenario?

Sorry to put you on the spot - TBH I wouldn't like to make that decision, it's a no win for the drivers IMO?

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 09:56:13 PM »
It depends to a large extent on the wheelchair user, & the frequency of the bus.A packed bus that runs every 10 minutes or so - a wheelchair user might decide to wait for the next one..However, on an hourly service, its a much different scenario, & yes, I'd ask that the buggies be moved or folded accordingly. If they refused to move for the wheelchair, I'd turn the engine off and announce that the bus is going nowhere until they move & point out that their refusal to move is delaying everyone else's journey and/or ring the depot for guidance - but don't hold your breath on that last point!
The trouble is that some baby buggies nowadays are HUGE - I had a double one on a few weeks back which was too wide to wheel down the aisle - it had to be carried sideways down the bus! I doubt some of these can be folded TBH.
The trouble is unfortunately that drivers are  in a no win situation following a complaint sometimes. You can follow the guidelines to the last letter, but it doesn't prevent disciplinary action sometimes.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »
Have to agree with you scimitar which is why I personally think it isn't right for drivers to be put on the spot in some cases.
Regarding the huge buggie - I don't suppose there are any rules about size on them?

It's I suppose a no win situation at times with maybe the only other option is to take out a seat just for buggies, but at what cost? - when they are occupied it's a case of wait for the next bus as would have to happen with a wheelchair user if the space was occupied by another wheelchair user.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk