Author Topic: Parking on pavements  (Read 7146 times)

simondjuk

• View Profile
Parking on pavements
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »
Ive put this in Rants because its one of those things that really annoys me.

So does anyone agree with me that parking on any pavement should be banned? 

In Sheffield, there are 2 specific areas where this happens that I know of  and I dont think it should be allowed to carry on.  Both these places are in front of shops and both places the cars parked are people who run/work in the shop.  I know this to be accurate as ive seen them first hand.

Admittedly one of these places doesnt block the pavement as its quite wide but pavements are for pedestrians, not cars!

I did Tweet South Yorkshire Police to ask advice and they told me to call 101 to report it but I dont want to be wasting their time with something like this.

Should I report it?
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

therealjr

• View Profile
Re: Parking on pavements
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »
If it's going to annoy you that much Simon yes. I once got wound up by someone parking a flash car in a residents only car parking area by claiming he was living above his business premises. I was an auditor for the council at the time so in a 'cough' official capacity I checked the council tax records. No tax being paid. So the letter went out giving him the choice. Pay the council tax or lose the parking permit. He moved his car!!!!
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
As said on FB by various people simon, it's not illegal unless you park on a drop kerb, blocking a driveway etc.
I checked up on it with all the fallouts on our street over parking. Thankfully, 'we' are sorted now. Costly though.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:34:19 PM »
Police will only deal with moving traffic offences, parking enforcement will only deal with yellow line offences. Annoying if they narrow the footway off so wheelchairs and pushchairs cant get past, must be difficult for them not to scratch the car or bend the mirror back

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »
Sorry Slacker, I forgot to add, not illegal 'if parked responsibly'.
Parking enforcement can take action in these circumstances according to the one I spoke to.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
Good point Simon, try getting past when in a wheelchair or pushing a pushchair!

For wheelchair users this can be especially difficult as if there is no dropped curb and it's a narrow footpath the wheelchair user may have to back up quite a distance to get onto the road and past the vehicle - not good if the person in the W/CH has back neck injuries.

I have been known to knock on doors in our village and request ( stone faced ) that the vehicle be moved.
I suppose some of the larger vehicles may do this to avoid blocking the road.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 10:35:07 PM »
There's been a yellow rover over the past few days parked on the road (not on pavement partly) outside the Somerset House in Calow. You should see the chaos this causes at rush hour! It causes traffic to back up towards the hospital, specially when the hospital staff are going home. No parking restrictions there - but this was one of the concerns raised when Tesco were trying to convert the Somerset House.
My question - do hospital staff have to pay for parking?
I'm not suggesting it's a hospital staff's car, but its strange how its been parked there every day this week so far.
By the way, I agree that pavement parking is wrong. It might help traffic get through, but hinders the pedestrian with buggies & mobility scooters, which is wrong.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »
scimitar, I think I have seen certain parking areas 'for staff only' around the hospital

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 03:49:26 PM »
scimitar, I think I have seen certain parking areas 'for staff only' around the hospital
I'm guessing it's insufficient parking spaces then. Cars park on Hady Lane at the top, in the "old rd" in front of the hospital, & at the top of Church Lane in Calow. We sometimes get them on Dark Lane too which is a single track road. Like I said, they are now parking on Chesterfield Rd/Top Rd.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 07:54:45 PM »
By the way, I agree that pavement parking is wrong. It might help traffic get through, but hinders the pedestrian with buggies & mobility scooters, which is wrong.

And thats partly why it annoys me.  I dont have to negotiate pushing wheelchairs, prams etc on a daily basis but I have seen people struggling.  As I said to start with, pavements are for pedestrians, not cars.

I also think part of it downright lazyness.

Theres a credit union in Sheffield near Ponds Forge and you can almost guarantee that during opening hours, these customers park on the pavement or in the bus stop - and to add in the bus stop with the hazard lights on because it makes it 'alright'.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 09:28:51 PM »
Heres my evidence.  Taken from my dash cam so not perfectly clear

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 12:47:09 AM »
As a Bus Driver, we also need proper access to bus stops. The various councils across the country have spent OUR money raising kerbstones, so that buses with wheelchairs/buggies,the elderly & infirm can access & exit the bus more easily. All the buses I drive will have a ramp available - more often than not however, simply lowering the front suspension is sufficient.
Yet when pillocks park in bus stops, it can make this access difficult, and sometimes impossible.

p.s. noticed the absence of the yellow rover today, however, an orange transit van was parked 20 yards further up!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
Heres my evidence.  Taken from my dash cam so not perfectly clear

Why the driver felt the need to park partly on the pavement is a mystery - there is ample room for the car to be on the road without obstruction - even if it is in a bus parking area!

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »
the other 3 cars have no excuse either

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »
Heres more evidence of piss poor lazy bastard parking.  Needless the bloke wasnt happy i was taking photos but hey, i was in a public place.  NOT ACCEPTABLE!

And I have reported it to 101

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk