Author Topic: Are we too impatient when driving?  (Read 9965 times)

simondjuk

• View Profile
Are we too impatient when driving?
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:09:25 AM »
2 stories from me now over the past 2 days

18/11/15.  I was turning left at a crossroad and a taxi that was turning right must not know the Highway Code as he just pulled straight out.  He did not have right of way.  Needless to say, I have his taxi number and have mentioned it to SCC, mainly due to his pathetic knowledge of road use.  I'm must say, the state of some taxi drivers driving leaves a lot to be desired.

19/11/15.  I was going through Gleadless on my way to work and on one of the roads I use, there were some cars parked on the right hand side and I could see traffic building up at the junction ahead.  I stopped before the cars in case traffic came the other way and they wouldnt be blocked from getting through.  So there I am, stopped and a stupid woman in a Fiat 500 overtook me!!.  Cue the red mist and if my OH wasn't in the car, id have overtook her and got out and asked her what the hell she was doing.

So are we getting more and more impatient and frustrated with other road users?  Personally my two annoyances are middle lane drivers and people who frankly cant be arsed to indicate at roundabouts.  I have a dash cam and can almost guarantee poor driving standards at least 3 times a day.

Or is it just me?

I really do wonder how some people passed their tests or are they putting them in Kellogs boxes again?
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

who can tell

• View Profile
Re: Are we too impatient when driving?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 01:56:24 PM »
Why the interest in Sheffield taxi's playing with fire Sheffield no place for amateur Police?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 05:46:36 PM »
It's generally becoming a "who dares wins" attitude with a lot of drivers.
Some taxi drivers perform unique and interesting moves from time to time but then again they need to maximise their takings I suppose.
I spend 8 hours a day driving buses which range from 7 to 12 tons in weight, but that doesn't stop some motorists from driving straight at you, for example, when I am half way through a line of parked cars on my nearside, but the assume it is their right of way, so barrell towards me anyway. Twelve tons can be more like fifteen if you have a full double decker! They can't stop as quickly as a car.
I know bus drivers will come in for criticism too - fair as there are good and bad in any profession, but I'll leave you with one little gem.
Coming on to Markham road the other day following a police car wanting to turn right into the police station. He went straight through a red light! I kid you not - been red for at least a second.

You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:41:06 AM »
I too think we are too impatient when driving. If folks calmed down and behaved themselves there would be less stress all round.

As regards to story of the police car, I think this is indicative of the current attitude to traffic lights. We all learned to proper sequence of lights and what they meant. Now the meanings are green equals go, amber equals go and red means only two more cars before stop...
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 03:48:06 PM »
Why the interest in Sheffield taxi's playing with fire Sheffield no place for amateur Police?

Why do you think Sheffield's Taxi drivers are any different to Taxi Drivers anywhere else? and why is it 'playing with fire'?

I think most taxi drivers will drive aggressively at times maybe due to pressures of getting passengers to their destinations, although I have never witnessed bus drivers do this, maybe because their vehicles are much larger - or is it in their 'brainwashing' err sorry training?

Lack of indicating seems now to be common practise.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:50:58 PM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »
Yes, most of us are impatient when driving.
Trouble is, if I took the time to record or report every bit of bad driving I see, I'd never make any money actually driving LOL
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »
Not so sure its impatience as just folk driving badly. My current bug bear is folk at junctions like the one just after the police station near the job centre where there is a big keep clear box but what folk coming out of the side road onto Markham Rd seem to think is its keep clear for cars already on Markham Rd so they can pull out and block the keep clear box. Sometimes you just end up having to block it yourself in order to stop cars just pulling out and you sitting there all day.

To be honest however the one thing worse than driving is peoples attitude to parking. This ranges from covering multiple spaces in car parks to basically abandoning cars at the side of the road. I also have an ongoing argument with a family member who has a disabled badge for their partner about the fact that just because the badge means they can park on things like double yellow lines doesnt mean they should. See it in and around town as well and in fact numerous places around the town in general where its double yellow lines so not safe to park but people with disabled badges basically treating it as the double yellow lines just mean its reserved for us! We had horrendous issues with it at the Chatsworth Rd end of Heaton Street. They extended the double yellows as the junction would get badly clogged at busy times due to parked cars and it just led to more folk with disabled badges parking right on the junction instead.

Big Dave 2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »
A few points: it's not 'right of way', it's priority. Police cars have a red traffic light exemption which means they can treat them as 'give way' (same for all emergency vehicles) and blue badge holders must obey traffic regulations and not park within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction unless in a marked parking space - same as the rest of us.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
The police car was not responding to an emergency - at least was not using blue flashing lights or siren. Therefore they should obey the traffic lights.                                                                                                                                                     While using blue lights, drivers are exempt from a number of motoring regulations, including

treating a red traffic light as a give way sign
passing to the wrong side of a keep left bollard
driving on a motorway hard shoulder (even against the direction of traffic)
disobeying the speed limit (police, fire and ambulance services only)
However, they are not allowed to

ignore a ‘no entry’ sign
ignore a ‘stop’ or ‘give way’ sign
drive the wrong way down a one-way street
ignore flashing signs at level crossings or fire stations
cross a solid white line down the middle of the road*

You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Big Dave 2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 12:57:49 PM »
Maybe he had been told there was only one donut left....  :)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »
I can understand Taxi drivers getting impatient and maybe Bus drivers but the rest of us should allow more time for our journey!

I agree with bransoj with some of the Disabled badge users thinking they have a right to park where they want - just 'because' they have the Blue Badge - they can be a right pain at times and tight with it as now they have to pay to park in many car parks.
Equally annoying are the parents in the Cineworld complex who use the Blue Badge area as a pick up/drop off for their kids who quite clearly have legs that can walk further afield!

As for the parking and taking up two spaces, can't the traffic wardens issue fines for that now?

Tarzan

• View Profile

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:04:08 AM »
As for the parking and taking up two spaces, can't the traffic wardens issue fines for that now?
I suspect they can in things like Council car parks but most of the other ones like supermarket car parks or the retail parks they will be monitored by one of the many firms that dish out tickets like confetti for anything and most people just ignore as they arent enforceable. I would have more sympathy for them if i wasnt one of those in the past they tried to screw for a fine when i'd done nothing wrong. Tried to "fine" me for overstaying a 2hr limit in Lidl car park when i was on my 1hr lunch break. I had been in Lidl then nipped to the cake shop on West Bars and the bloke saw me coming back from there and more or less chased me out of the car park to get my registration as i saw him in my mirror. No ticket on the car but a letter a couple of weeks later for apparently over staying 2hrs but after checking around the general consensus was to ignore everything and nothing will ever happen...and they were right.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 12:56:35 PM »
One law for the police, & another law for us ? ::)
http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/09/driver-turns-tables-on-speed-camera-police-and-got-them-booked-for-dangerous-parking-5488796/

Quote from the link

When Jamie saw the police van on the side of the road marked up with the dreaded high-vis yellow as he travelled through Longlevens in Gloucestershire, he realised people would be getting zapped.
But he also noticed the van was parked half on a pavement and half in the road, blocking the cycle lane.

Just to add - also blocking the PAVEMENT for pushchairs and wheelchair users - so doubly inconsiderate

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 09:25:34 PM »
Why do you think Sheffield's Taxi drivers are any different to Taxi Drivers anywhere else? and why is it 'playing with fire'?

I think most taxi drivers will drive aggressively at times maybe due to pressures of getting passengers to their destinations, although I have never witnessed bus drivers do this, maybe because their vehicles are much larger - or is it in their 'brainwashing' err sorry training?

Lack of indicating seems now to be common practise.
Think Darnell and what's going down in Sheffield at present. What you see you don't see its not worth the trouble.
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk