Author Topic: postal voting  (Read 2728 times)

Bill J

• View Profile
postal voting
« on: May 23, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »
I get really annoyed everytime I use the postal voting system. I always thought that in this country your vote was private and confidential and yet you cannot vote unless you sign your name and date of birth and put it in with the voting envelope and both envelopes A and B have you personal number on the outside for everyone to see making it easy for any Tom Dick or Harry to know who has voted for who. Grrrr!
 Rant over 

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: postal voting
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 07:57:36 PM »
Ah, but only the people who open the envelopes get to see who you have voted for, and they're probably sworn to secrecy as part of their job. I've used the postal vote for years and never had a problem with it  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bill J

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 06:53:16 AM »
Back in the 1970's I knew a few people who worked for the Social security Dept. and they had to sign the official secrets act , well.......

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
Daughter uses the Postal Vote and hubby and I have discussed this for us.
It won't be this time but I think next time will be the start of Postal Voting for us.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
Got home from work today and ours were on the mat. Opened them, signed and dated them, 'x'ed a box each, sealed them, and nipped to the end of the street to the post box.
Job done  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »
I really cannot see the problem in anyone knowing how you've voted, o.k. it supposed to be a secret ballot, but most people would happily give up the information to friends and family and most {if the subject arose} would telegraph thier preference by thier opinions.
I can understand people in certain countries being cautious and keeping it a secret, not wanting that knock on the door at 3 in the morning, thankfully we're not like that in this country {yet}
I don't mind anyone knowing how I vote, if the subject arises, I tell them, it's no secret. If I wanted to keep it a secret I wouldn't tell anyone, but there's people out there who already know.
They have ALWAYS known who votes for who in any election, It has NEVER been a secret ballot, being secret only refers to the general populace not knowing {i.e. the bloke stood behind you or the woman in front in the voting centre} obviously your preferences are not "broadcast" but it can be common knowledge with the people within the polling arena.
When you recieve your polling card it has your own personal number on it, this number is then is put on a master copy which is given to the staff at the polling station with your name at the side of it.  The voting slip your given has it's own distinguishing marks which is married up to your number on the master sheet, this makes it a doddle to trace whoever used it and how you voted.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 05:09:46 PM »
I agree but many keep it to themselves.
It goes back to what I was told - never get into discussions on Religion or politics as it very often ends in a big argument.
Sound advice!

I will as said before go for the postal vote next time for no other reason but that it will be easier.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:51:21 PM by Old Cruser »

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 08:09:24 PM »
Wise advice OC this is why I'm keeping clear of my local till the footy is over.

You can tell a football fan you've slept with his mother and you stole her handbag on the way out of the house and he probably wouldn't bat an eye........

But tell him you don't like his team and "WATCH OUT"
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »
Wise advice OC this is why I'm keeping clear of my local till the footy is over.

You can tell a football fan you've slept with his mother and you stole her handbag on the way out of the house and he probably wouldn't bat an eye........

But tell him you don't like his team and "WATCH OUT"

:)) :)) Very true. So many arguments and fights between rival fans.
I don't really follow football but did watch some of the England Match - dare I say they played terrible.

I will now run for cover -------------------  :-*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk