Author Topic: Feeding Wild Birds  (Read 797 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Feeding Wild Birds
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »
Does anyone else have a bird feeder and have noticed how suddenly the sky is full of busy birds gathering food.
After a long winter they are playing catch up I reckon.
I use a ground feeder and also have a stand with hanging feeders, all of which are now going down at an alarming rate.
Can't wait to see the fledges!!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Feeding Wild Birds
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:39:40 PM »
Had a pair of robins knocking around for the last few week. Seen the 3 fledgies the last few days as well.

One of the best things we've seen this year is a rampant dove. It's been knocking around for the last few week as well.
Any pigeon that comes anywhere near it gets mounted LOL  :))
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Haslander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 11:13:57 PM »
I am still filling my feeders, even though food should now be readily available.  The sunflower hearts in 3 feeders, for the flock of around 15 Goldfinches is emptied in a couple of days!  Loose seed is going very rapidly and meal worms are gone within minutes.  One of my fat ball feeders holds 6 fat balls and the Jackdaws empty it in a day in their feeding frenzies. Starlings, crows, blackbirds, sparrows, a couple of Robins, a pair of Magpies and a shed load of pigeons make short work of the loose seed. None of them stop long when a Sparrowhawk decides to have a rest on one of my fences!
Stupidity is infinitely more fascinating that intelligence.
Intelligence has its limits while stupidity has none.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »
I've only ever spotted a Sparrow Hawk on the front hedge Haslander, I'm not keen on the Magpies coming ( although not spotted one yet this year ) on the back garden frightens the other birds.
I saw a Green Finch on top of  the feeding pole last week but not spotted it since.

Fly - it must be something in your feeder which is making that Pigeon Rampant.  ;D
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk