Author Topic: Eyres sale  (Read 1699 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Eyres sale
« on: August 23, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »
I have never shopped in Eyres because I've always found their prices to be way over the top, plus I've never been overly keen on what's on offer {most of it looks very heavy}.
Now there is going to be a "big sale" it will be interesting to know what these "massive savings" are going to look like According to this weeks D.T. a sample of what's on offer, as I sit typing this I'm sitting at my dining room {extendable} table with four chairs I got last year from Argos Circa £170 and it does what it says on the tin, also my wife can move it if needs be to clean. In the Eyres sale a dining room table and four chairs has been {drastically} reduced to £900 yes most prices have been drastically reduced but it's still far more than I'm willing to pay, I'm not a tight wad I just don't see the need to splash out on something that you can get from somewhere else that does just as good a job at a fraction of the price. I can understand some people obviously will buy {my sister in law has shopped at Eyres for years and won't go anywhere else} that's fine if you don't mind spending and you like what's on offer.           
Plus delivery/installation is always extra, for those prices the least I would expect is free delivery.
We recently got new settees from D.F.S, another place that knows how to charge but compared to what they normally charge these were in the sale and the price was reasonable, but we were charged £67 for delivery, I asked them when they turned up how many deliveries they get through in a normal day they said at least a dozen a day, so each van every day will generate a least £750 - £800 less running costs and crews wages each van can comfortably clear £400 per day not a bad little earner.
We were a little put out as we went to town the other day intent on having breakfast in Poppies only to be told that was not open either.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Eyres sale
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 08:00:18 PM »
We have used Eyres sometimes for furniture.
It depends what they have in what we like and how much it is.
My dining room table and a bowed display cabinet was from there.
When my daughter moved to live independently I bought her two leather, two seater. reclining sofas's from there. Didn't realise they had metal frame work and were heavy to move. We ended up going into the then Co-op and buying gliders which cost a small fortune!

We love Miss Poppies by the way.

Last year we had a revamp at home.
More of a preparing for older old age  ::)

New carpets from Hollyway carpets.
Three piece from the three piece centre in Clay Cross
New bed divan/mattress from the Divan Man.
Our joiner we have used for a good few years fitted us with new door fronts to all our kitchen cupboards and a decorator put wall paper on which we could paint over.

Bring on the older old age and we shouldn't ( hopefully be needing to shop in Eyres or anywhere else again!  ;)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:22:30 PM »
It's still a place I've never been in  (y)
Must call in one day  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
if i bought a table and chairs from argos i would expect them to be of acceptable but inferior build qualty to whats on offer at Eyres and to last maybe 10 years, if i bought the same items from Eyres i would expect the items to be of superior qualty and to last a lifetime, not being loaded i am forced to make do with argos, also fashions change so quickly nowdays that if you buy from argos and you like to renew aesthetically outdated items then argos is the best choice as updating your older items is cheaper, there is no point in buying something that will last a lifetime for only a few years use.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »
if i bought a table and chairs from argos i would expect them to be of acceptable but inferior build qualty to whats on offer at Eyres and to last maybe 10 years, if i bought the same items from Eyres i would expect the items to be of superior qualty and to last a lifetime, not being loaded i am forced to make do with argos, also fashions change so quickly nowdays that if you buy from argos and you like to renew aesthetically outdated items then argos is the best choice as updating your older items is cheaper, there is no point in buying something that will last a lifetime for only a few years use.

Unlike yourself and The Kinks I am not a Dedicated Follower of Fashion where furniture is concerned never have been.
I'm just an old fashioned biddy I suppose. ;)

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
Rather than start another post {and on a similar vein}

I have begun to notice the amount of times it costs YOU to return items to sender. I sent something back to a company the other week quite obviously because it didn't work. The cost of the item plus p+p was £21:98p, it was sent back on their 60 day returns policy period and a full refund would be forthcoming {which it was} providing the item, including the packaging was intact and item not damaged in any way. According to the T&C's the sender is liable for the cost of the return
if the goods returned were not deemed to be faulty [unquote].

The reply I received from the company when I enquired about getting back my cost for returning it {£4:58p} as I explained it did not work ergo it is faulty I was told that basically it was sent in good faith as working and just because it didn't work in my case does not mean it won't work for someone else {yes figure that out!} so therefore they see it as I sent back something that was not "faulty" I had to cover the cost and {get this!} it will be returned to stock for resale.
Now I love a good argument and I think I had a good case purely because thier excuse makes no sense, but it's just not worth busting a gut over a fiver, but if and when I get to a site that reviews this company they will know I've been on it.
Same the other day the wife had to send something back to Studio. If you want to arrange a return your kept on a premium rate phone line so instead my wife paid for returning it at the post office, again reading Damart's returns forms you WILL be charged for returning an item whether it's faulty or not what a con...

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 08:01:49 PM »
I rarely shop on line preferring to see before I buy.  ;)

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 05:40:50 PM »
over 6 years ago we needed a new washing machine and we looked instore and online we fancied a samsung eco bubble which would have cost from Currys around £400 with a 12 month warranty which we could have had extended to five years, i cannot remember what the cost of the extended warranty was but was in the hundreds of pounds, after looking online we found the same machine from a company in manchester for £339 which came with a five year warranty and free delivery (it must be said i was mildly suspicious of the five year warranty but we were saving £60) so we opted for that, two months before the warranty was due to expire the machine developed a problem (noisy bearing) we rang up and they sent round an engineer five days later and he completely replaced the drum and bearing as the drum shaft was also worn, so though i do not think online is always better in this case it was.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 01:43:43 PM »
I can honestly say none of the above is from shopping online, most of what we order comes as junk mail as my wife has been with the likes of Studio and Damart for years, they mostly send a pamphlet with your statements. I actually ordered something from a firm, must be five years ago now, and although I've had nothing from them since regular as clockwork I get a pamphlet from them once a month.  If I DO order anything from the web I NEVER give my card details on line, I don't just look on the web see the phone number and ring, I double check the number, the company and that the number I'm ringing is ligit' then ring and give my details over the phone. With the item I sent back, when I ordered it I even asked if I could pay by cheque, I even offered to wait till the cheque cleared BEFORE they dispatched the item {no chance} the world is so full of shysters nowadays they don't trust anyone.

After reading in the paper today you can get stuff {scam kits} on the internet that will swindle people on line for as little as a twenty quid. That's why I steer clear of on line shopping, apart from the fact I'm not overly tec savvy so the safest way is for me not to do it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk