Author Topic: Money breeds stupidity  (Read 1044 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Money breeds stupidity
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
I have just finished reading about David Beckham getting away {Scot free} with a speeding fine after being caught doing 59 in a 40 zone.
Apparently not for the first time either, he got away with something similar in 1999 as well.
This time apparently the summons was sent to the garage that owned the car {Beckham had hired it} so by the time Beckham received the summons it had arrived a day late {over the statutory 14 day window} and so his smarmy lawyer had the case thrown out.

Now the reason for the post title is because it appears "Celebs" would obviously sooner pay an arm and a leg to lawyers than admit any wrongdoing, but in Beckham's case it was open and shut, he was caught speeding, he ADMITTED to speeding yet call it vanity or whatever he would rather pay for a lawyer to get him off than pay the fine {and possibly a few points on his licence}
If he had left the lawyer out of it and just paid the fine firstly, the fine would have been a damn sight less than the lawyers fees and secondly, the money would have been put to good use rather than lining the pockets of a lawyer.

The stupidity of this is had he lost which was a 90% certainty he would have still had to pay the fine, his lawyers fees AND court costs all for trying to save a couple of hundred quid it beggars belief.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Money breeds stupidity
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 05:26:35 PM »
I wasn't aware of this but not surprising as I don't read the newspapers and lately haven't watched the news.

The saying money talks is true enough and when people have so much as Beckham has it isn't important to him to pay a Lawyer instead of a fine.
What he could have done is paid the fine and whatever the difference was between the two was give it to a charity - and one with unpaid volunteers!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 12:54:38 PM »
I believe the previous time {1999} he was caught driving down the hard shoulder of a motorway somewhere, and the same lawyer got him off because his excuse was he was trying to get away from the paparazzi who was "chasing" him.
The lawyer had a similar case of hard shoulder driving. I believe it was a famous football manager, his excuse for his client was he had just had an operation or whatever and it left him with a weak bladder and he was rushing to a toilet, and he got off.
In fact this lawyer is known as Mr. Loophole because of the "famous" people he has defended and I'm not sure he's lost a case yet so you can only imagine his fee.

I don't believe Mr. Loophole is any better than any other lawyer I believe the laws in this country are so full of holes it makes a mockery of our judicial system and so smarmy g*ts like him cash in. The Americans coined a phrase for this type of lawyer many years ago, they are known as ambulance chasers.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 02:16:09 PM »
Actually I have little time or interest in the Beckhams Victoria smile a lot - not especially.

A man with a weak bladder should carry 'a bottle' and no excuse - now a lady with a weak bladder ??? Got it - use a Tenna!!

The lawyer sounds like a con- man but he is obviously clever at what he does!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk