Author Topic: Newbold WMC, is it still going?  (Read 2144 times)

geebee

• View Profile
Newbold WMC, is it still going?
« on: January 02, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »
In the 1960's (64-69) we were living on Windermere Road, Newbold and I regularly visited the Club on the Green at the top. Now, 78 years old  retired and living in the South of France I often wonder if it's still in existence. At weekends it was very busy and on one night of the week Ballroom Dances were held with Roy Grattage on the Organ and Tony Burton  playing the drums.  The slot machine took sixpenny pieces and the jackpot could make £5. Not bad as an average weeks wages could be around £14 if you were lucky. Memories!!!!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Newbold WMC, is it still going?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 04:18:42 PM »
Their website has the dates for acts on in 2012, and their facebook page hasn't been posted on since 2015.
http://newboldwmc.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Newbold-Working-Mens-Club/159125590771940

BUT, as far as I know, it's still open(Someone might know better). Though i've never been in it  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »
In the early seventies we went regularly on a Saturday and if you were not there by seven it was impossible to get a seat.Oddly I was in Corals in Newbold the other week  and I overheard a couple of chaps saying it was closing in the middle of December but I am not sure what has happened.It would not surprise me if it had.I will update  if I hear  anyything more.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 07:41:17 PM »
Cheers Umpire. I've not been at work this month so haven't seen or heard much 'Chezzy' related  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

geebee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:28:18 AM »
Thanks all for your answers, If we visit Uk this year I'll pop around and have a look. GeeBee

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 07:58:08 PM »
Hi geebee,
                I have just had a walk round Newbold tonight and went past the club at 7.30pm and it was in darkness.I think we can assume it has closed.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:48:10 PM »
If it's any consolation, it lasted longer than many of the other social/working/miners clubs around the local area  :(

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 01:09:24 AM »
Only last year someone else has taken on the miners welfare in our village and are trying very hard to make a go of it.
I think they have a Abba Tribute act on this weekend - good luck to them!
We spent many hours in their back in the 70's and 80's.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

geebee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 01:07:11 PM »
thanks again to all who who took the trouble to reply, We now live just to the north of the Pyrenees (Mountains) and as a result, for the last two weeks, the temperature has has not been much above -5 C  .( minus 5C ) in the day dropping even lower -12C during the night.   Some  years ago the English government stopped giving us the Winter Fuel allowance Payements even though it's  colder here than many parts of the UK??????? Doesn't seem fair having paid taxes and Dues for all of our working lives. Anyway thanks again. GeeBee

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 06:05:44 PM »
The only time I have I have seen the Pyrenees is when flying over them

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 06:38:10 PM »
The only time I have I have seen the Pyrenees is when flying over them

Same here - and always pleased when we fly over, and not into, them!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

geebee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »
Must be a wonderful view from above, we’re 69 miles dead north of the highest mount, “Le pic du Midi” and from our south facing terrace we can see, across the valley, over 200 miles of the mountain range  from west to East. At this time of the year they’re covered in snow and the view is spectacular.
In a village about 20 miles to our North is a small church with an exact copy of the crooked spire! When I first saw it I couldn’t believe my eyes.
I have a 1935 Velocette MAC which, when I take it out, wakens up the neighbours and startles the grazing cattle with it’s deep bellow!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk