Author Topic: Government to take on councils over bin fines  (Read 1821 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Government to take on councils over bin fines
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »
What is it with our rubbish collection that causes such emotion? There seems to be a new story every week - and today's story is how the government are to stop councils from issuing fines to householders who accidentally put the wrong bin on the wrong day or overfill them.

I didn't realise that councils were doing that - apparently some councils have fixed penalties for such mistakes.

Once again I am agreeing with the government...

"The environment secretary, Caroline Spelman, said: "Heavy-handed bin fines have for too long been used to punish people for innocent mistakes. We are now consigning them to the scrapheap of history."
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Government to take on councils over bin fines
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »
I can't understand how out of touch with public opinion councillors in some areas appear to be.

Yesterday a council in Surrey was reported as forcing people to put back litter and debris in a public area because they didn't have a license to remove it.

Southend has given its councillors immunity from parking fines.

Btw Chesterfield councillors have just voted themselves a pay freeze

k4blades

Re: Government to take on councils over bin fines
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »
I can't understand how out of touch with public opinion councillors in some areas appear to be.

Yesterday a council in Surrey was reported as forcing people to put back litter and debris in a public area because they didn't have a license to remove it.

Yes, I saw that too.

Southend has given its councillors immunity from parking fines.

Btw Chesterfield councillors have just voted themselves a pay freeze

Well done for that.

From what I understand in the proposals today, are that fixed penalties will remain in place, (I think about £100) for those who really abuse the system, but councils will no longer have the option of following that up in the criminal courts which could lead to fines of about £1000. That of course is totally disproportionate when you consider most criminals, (shoplifters, minor drug offences, minor assaults), don't get anywhere near that sort of fine. (If they ever bother to pay it at all.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk