Author Topic: Derbyshire Dale's to go ahead and charge for garden waste collections  (Read 702 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
The title says it all really.

Doubtless this will result in a lot more fly tipping as people won't pay to have it collected (and who can blame them?). If this is the case, has the council taken the cost of clearing up after fly tippers from their overall savings, I suspect not.

I'm also worried about the growing trend for councils to consider moving waste collections to four weekly cycles. With our current fortnightly collections the bins stink after just one week (and our black bin only gets less than half full!) and only has potatoe and carrot peelings, fruit skins etc in, so just imagine after 4 weeks.
Also having waste kicking around for that long will result in more chance of attracting vermin and foxes?
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Dale's to go ahead and charge for garden waste collections
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
Suppose North East Derbyshire will follow eventually.
Bins need shifting regularly we'll have a flipping rat infestation if they leave them any longer.
We already have to be really careful about washing anything out which has had raw meet in - the flies get in and those horrible grubs are heaving in numbers inside - and out of the bin.
We also sprinkle the dustbin powder in the bags to stop this!

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Dale's to go ahead and charge for garden waste collections
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »

I'm also worried about the growing trend for councils to consider moving waste collections to four weekly cycles. With our current fortnightly collections the bins stink after just one week (and our black bin only gets less than half full!) and only has potatoe and carrot peelings, fruit skins etc in, so just imagine after 4 weeks.
Also having waste kicking around for that long will result in more chance of attracting vermin and foxes?

Once again you end up paying for a service your not fully receiving. Possibly moving to 4 weekly cycles will undoubtedly cause the above. I myself have the solution to "stinky" bins, last year we got ourselves two new bins one black on green {h/hold and garden}
I have just cleaned out and disinfected the green bin due to the winter suspension, as regards the new black bin for household waste since day one we have used large wheelie bin bags placed inside before we use it, plus any food waste that might attract vermin {chicken carcasses dinner scraps} we seal in plastic bags so no "aroma" can escape and drop them in and on the morning of the collection we tie up the top of the big bag in the bin and when it's emptied you STILL have a nice clean bin
Unfortunately, and especially if it becomes 4 weeks, the council is inadvertently {in my case} increasing the use of plastic bags going to landfill instead of the opposite happening.
They also cause a problem when requesting a new bin, you will find the replacement is a smaller one which doesn't help. 
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk