Author Topic: Laptop causes Fire  (Read 1350 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Laptop causes Fire
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:34:38 PM »
I am guilty of sitting in the evenings with my small laptop on my knee and yes it does get warm.
Tonight it's on a tray!

An overheated laptop on a bed was the cause of a house fire in Paddock, fire chiefs have revealed.

Fire crews raced to Luck Lane on Tuesday lunchtime after a fire started in a conservatory attached to the rear of a mid-terrace property.

The conservatory was being used as a bedroom.

The fire caused serious damage to the roof of the house and spread to the roof space of the two adjoining properties.

Fortunately no-one was in any of the affected properties at the time.

Following the blaze a Fire Investigation Officer investigated the cause.

Ian Firth said: ?We have concluded that the most likely cause of the fire was that it started as a result of a laptop being left on a bed within the conservatory.

?The bedding material would have limited the ventilation which is required to ensure the laptop doesn?t overheat.

?If a laptop is placed on anything that prevents cool air circulation through it, the device can overheat and ignite surrounding combustible items.

?Our advice would be to use laptops on a solid flat surface which allows the cooling system to operate properly.?

?There was no indication of a fault on the laptop itself.?

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Laptop causes Fire
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:11:57 PM »
My laptop's got it's own little table.

Plenty of air under there  (y)

I sometimes sit in bed with my tablet, but wouldn't ever take the laptop  :o
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

who can tell

• View Profile
Re: Laptop causes Fire
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »
Not laptops but still can cause a fire is leaving on chargers for phones or tablets . It's surprising how hot these things get another bad on is Christmas tree lights.
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk