Author Topic: Chatsworth Christmas market  (Read 2386 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Chatsworth Christmas market
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:36:29 PM »
Went to their Christmas Market for the first time, it was very well organised - buggies take you from the car parks to the market site, and return you to the car parks.

The market itself was lovely with some interesting stalls selling unusual items - although everything seemed very overpriced to me! The only thing that spoilt it for me, was that at some stalls, as soon as you started to browse, the stallholder came over trying to flog their wares! I know it's their living but, as soon as someone does that to me, I simply walk away! If I want something I will ask, so they've lost a possible sale straight away!
Apparently they've put their parking charges up this year (there's free admission to the market) it's £10 per vehicle before 3pm weekdays and £5 after. At weekends it's £20 before 3pm and £10 after. The official line is that they've done it to make people think about car sharing, or other methods to get their (eg public transport), but an inside source told me that it's done to reduce visitor numbers as last year they had too many visitors!
We felt like royalty driving through the golden gates and manged to see a couple of herds of both red and fallow dear.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Chatsworth Christmas market
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 10:54:12 PM »
Hopefully better organised than the events last year then  :-X

Visitors to a Christmas market at Chatsworth have found their cars trapped in muddy fields, in a repeat of chaos which hit the venue's summer RHS flower show.

And after their vehicles have been pulled out of the mud, drivers complained they had to wait in line for hours to leave the site due to congestion.

I've never been. We went to Ladybower Res today, tried to get up to the Derwent Dam but did a u-turn and gave it up as a bad job.
Might try later in the week as I will be off work for a month or 2 now (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:07:34 AM »
Hopefully better organised than the events last year then  :-X

I've never been. We went to Ladybower Res today, tried to get up to the Derwent Dam but did a u-turn and gave it up as a bad job.
Might try later in the week as I will be off work for a month or 2 now (y)

We deliberately went on Friday (the first day) to avoid those problems (which we did), so maybe that's what was meant by too many visitors.

Did you go to have a look at the lost village that has been partially exposed? I did read that it's been a huge 'attraction' and was causing huge queues.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Annina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »
I must be older than I thought, I can remember Ladybower drying up in 1959,I think,we roasted for hours in Dads old Ford Pop trying to reach the dam. No air con in those days.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 05:16:06 PM »
Welcome to Chesterfieldonline Annina  :)
I've posted some pics of Ladybower in another thread just now (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 06:02:53 PM »
I must be older than I thought, I can remember Ladybower drying up in 1959,I think,we roasted for hours in Dads old Ford Pop trying to reach the dam. No air con in those days.

Ah, the old 'sit up and beg' Ford Popular!

The church Spire was often visible when the water level dropped, but was eventually demolished for safety reasons.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 07:14:30 PM »
My grandads Ford Pop (I'm the slightly younger one on the right!) my Dad's Wolseley 4/50 in the background.

Welcome to the forum by the way  (y)

Annina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 07:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Fly.I was brought (dragged) up in Brimington but have spent much of my adulthood in sh***y Sheffield. Don't know why I havn't logged on to Chesterfield forum before, but it feels like coming home.

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »
We went to Ladybower yesterday, too.
A few days ago someone told us you could see the old village.
Guess it must have rained since then. The level was very low but no sign of the buildings.

Yes, there were a lot of people there, but we on a motorbike, so didn't really bother with the queues, or have any trouble parking...;-)

Snapped a couple of pics anyway.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 09:13:25 PM »
That looks like the bottom end of the Ladybower Dam kromercap, I can see the boats in the middle.
The village ruins most people are on about seeing recently are up in the other bit nearer to the Derwent Dam.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.3940&lon=-1.7250&layers=6&right=BingHyb

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 09:46:56 PM »
That looks like the bottom end of the Ladybower Dam kromercap, I can see the boats in the middle.
The village ruins most people are on about seeing recently are up in the other bit nearer to the Derwent Dam.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.3940&lon=-1.7250&layers=6&right=BingHyb

That'll be why we didn't see them then... ::)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 10:10:36 PM »
Just googled for clarification(mainly for myself).
Ashopton village was near the 2 roadway bridges.
Derwent village, and the church that kept it's spire for a few years, was at the site I mentioned in my post above.
Both were taken over by Ladybower Dam.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 03:31:20 AM »
Annina - welcome to the forum  :)

I have never attended any of the Chatsworth events as think they are overpriced although have been round the house pre Christmas and it really is decorated lovely.

Lovely photo's kromercap - I thought it was Lochness with the monster surfacing for a second  :)
Would love to go to the lost village but reading reports on conditions it's a bit off putting.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
BBC News - Ladybower Reservoir's flooded village vandalised
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46316985

Mindless, pointless and downright stupid, for once I'm lost for words!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 09:44:38 AM »
BBC News - Ladybower Reservoir's flooded village vandalised
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46316985

Mindless, pointless and downright stupid, for once I'm lost for words!

It wasn't us, we never got out the car  :-X
Idiots !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk