Author Topic: Another shop bites the dust  (Read 4041 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Another shop bites the dust
« on: November 20, 2018, 11:01:30 AM »
Krazy Price (curtains & soft furnishings) on Knifesmithgate is due to close after Christmas.

It's one of those shops that I don't visit very often, but, like Johnsons Ironmongers on Chatsworth Rd and Britts on South St, it was a go to place if you wanted either a niche item (ie small piece of net curtaining) or a couple of brackets rather than a pack of 50 as you'd get from the larger diy stores.

I assume that we'll have yet another empty unit to add to all the others we've got.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

hifimad

• View Profile
Re: Another shop bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
it is getting worse the market is now half empty, the market hall has a fraction of the shops it once had, i used to regularly use Crawshaws and it always seemed busy now thats gone, the pavements centre is not safe as you are likely to be attacked by abusive security for doing nothing wrong, as i understand it they are building another shopping centre whats the point, it seems to me the only growth industry in town centre are charity outlets and overpriced coffee shops.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »
Although not even charity shops are safe, the Breast Cancer charity shop opposite the Portland/Wetherspoons has closed.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 06:23:19 PM »
I was in Krazy Price today talking to the manageress. I told her it was my last day at work until Jan.
She never mentioned it closing  :(
I know it was originally due to close back in May but they must have decided to give it a bit longer.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »
Didn't DCC put a questioner out awhile ago asking why the public felt shops were dwindling?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:31:39 PM »
I was in Krazy Price today talking to the manageress. I told her it was my last day at work until Jan.
She never mentioned it closing  :(
I know it was originally due to close back in May but they must have decided to give it a bit longer.

There's a sign at the back of the shop stating the shop was closing, and the young lady told me it was closing at Christmas.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 08:53:09 PM »
She was so busy asking me about Our_Lass she probably didn't want to bother me with her own stuff (y)
Will be a shame to see it go. It's been along side the taxi rank for donkeys years :-(

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »
Just been to town today.......Greenwoods tailors on Packers Row is having a closing down sale and the premises have a for sale/to let  sign outside.

I'm one of the guilty, it's been there years and I think I only ever bought something from there once, in fact I've only ever been in the shop about half a dozen times in the last 20 odd years.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 02:51:19 PM »
Just been to town today.......Greenwoods tailors on Packers Row is having a closing down sale and the premises have a for sale/to let  sign outside.

I'm one of the guilty, it's been there years and I think I only ever bought something from there once, in fact I've only ever been in the shop about half a dozen times in the last 20 odd years.

I think the only time I've been in was to hire a morning suit etc for my daughters wedding.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »
Unfortunately when larger shops such as the one on the Ravenside come and sell similar clothing the smaller businesses go ----

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 11:46:46 AM »
In town this morning and it appears the closed down pound world shop on Steeplegate is being transformed into an Iceland.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 04:41:38 PM »
I had heard about that also one or two more but can't remember which shops apart from the one which closed near Tesco in Clay Cross.
I keep meaning to look if they are in yet - but forget!! :(

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 11:09:01 AM »
I had heard about that also one or two more but can't remember which shops apart from the one which closed near Tesco in Clay Cross.
I keep meaning to look if they are in yet - but forget!! :(

Been to Clay Cross this morning, had a look on the window of the closed down pound world next to Tesco, there's a notice on it.
Apparently there has been an application made to the council for a licence {amongst other things} to sell alcohol there. the application has been made by none other than Tesco!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 01:15:12 PM »
It sounds like it will be 'Jacks' then Sorastro. I had heard it may be this store or Iceland.
Jacks I am told is a store owned by Tesco which will sell cheaper food in a bid to be competitive with Lidl and Aldi
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:30:14 AM by Old Cruser »

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 01:23:24 PM »
It sounds like it will be 'Jacks' then Sorastro. I gad heard it may be this store or Iceland.
Jacks I am told is a store owned by Tesco which will sell cheaper food in a bid to be competitive with Lidl and Aldi

If that's the case O.C. then why compete against themselves? why not just drop the prices in the big store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk