Author Topic: Chesterfield Car Boot Shambles  (Read 3230 times)

hifimad

• View Profile
Chesterfield Car Boot Shambles
« on: January 27, 2019, 03:32:36 PM »
Yet another Sunday goes by and no car boot sale and yet again cars and vans are queuing up and it is called off at the last minute, if you are a regular you know that when it was on the "donut" in the town centre it was run very well by two people and it was always on and it was extremely rare for it to be called off. It is by popular consensus the most badly run car boot sale within a one hundred mile radius of Chesterfield (only because we don’t know of any further away).

Since it was moved to the football ground car park as a joint venture between the council and the club both buyers and sellers have not known whether it would be running or not, it was clear from the moment it was moved to the football ground car park that the stewards running it were neither experienced enough or committed to its continuation, as i was told by one of the senior stewards after i told him they should move it back to the donut he said he wished they would.

I myself have known them shut the car boot down because of "bad weather" and marsh lane which does not have hard standing and is privately run has been open, the reason for not running it this week was because there was only twenty three vehicles about a third being vans, now let’s have a look at why there was only this number of vehicles, I myself know of five regular stall holders who now prefer to go to Doncaster or Bawtry and i have witnessed cars driving off after sellers getting frustrated at the wait to find out whether it is going to be run or not, in numerous cases people have been kept waiting for over two hours only to be told at the last minute it is cancelled, imagine you turned up to Tesco or Asda waiting for it to open only to be told after two hours we are not opening today as advertised as we don’t have enough customers waiting to get in.
All this and a car boot sale which used to be run by two people now needs an army of stewards who are still incapable of running it properly or it seems with some but not all of the stewards communicating with the people who do come in a polite and civil manner.

This local amenity is not just a car boot it is also a place of local interaction where people meet and discuss local issues and the one topic that crops up weekly is will it be on or if it is on how come there is more cars than last week which ran and this week it is cancelled.

I must confess i do not know where this thirty vehicle rule came from i think they just made it up, on one occasion there were twenty seven vehicles and all the prospective stall holders got together and agreed to pay for the missing three vehicles just so they were able to stand and still these apathetic stewards cancelled it.

Also i find it irksome that if the carbooters are ten percent down it is cancelled and yet at the recent Bedford game the ground capacity was down by over three quarters to a little over two thousand attendees and yet went ahead, i also drove by on Saturday and the lights were on and there were spectators and it was lashing it down with rain, in the past the boot sale has been cancelled due to forecasts of light drizzle.

As I understand it the club has abrogated its responsibility to the community and has given the council an ultimatum that it will not run it after July, it is to be hoped the Council can find a new venue, and a couple of people who can and will run it properly for the people of chesterfield who the football club have turned their back on.

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: Chesterfield Car Boot Shambles
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 05:40:38 PM »
That sounds a complete and utter shambles.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 07:06:26 PM »
Never went to the donut market and I didn't know it had moved.
Is then current car boot sale  attended well with sellers? ( when it's open  ::) )
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 07:11:15 PM »
That sounds a complete and utter shambles.
you've got it i even went so far as complaining to the Council a while ago but typical of our great leaders i received no response, over the years i have come to the car boot every sunday weather and health permitting i have re-met people i have not seen for years, i have met new freinds, i have sadly lost freinds.
To me it is more than just a car boot sale it is a much loved social occassion, in the last six weeks due to the christmas break out of the four possible events there has been one sale which was last week whereas at doncaster football ground car boot sale there has been four, this is why buyers and sellers are preffering to travel thirty five miles there and back, our loss is Doncasters gain.
One of the sellers i know has told me that when he asked one of the people running the Doncaster event what thei lower limit was on vehicles attending and he was told if there are only five cars then it will be on weather permmiting, they are committed to running it due to its popularity, it seems to me the only commitment the stewards at chesterfield have is to place arbritary limits on those that atend in a transparent attempt to run it into the ground, also if you look on the football club website it states the event will run every sunday (exept during special events) weather permitting it does not state anywhere about a lower limit on the number of vehicles needing to attend for it to have the go ahead, if these people are incapable of running a car boot sale which used to be run by two people then it does not bode well for the future of Chesterfield Football Club, >:(

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 07:22:36 PM »
Never went to the donut market and I didn't know it had moved.
Is then current car boot sale  attended well with sellers? ( when it's open  ::) )
It has always been well attended by both sellers and buyers i have seen the town centre car park covered in frost and yet loads of people still used to turn up.
The people charged with running it for the last few years have by not running it for a variety of seemingly spurious reasons have caused people to look for alternatives and to go elsewhere and have created the very condititions (less than thirty vehicles) that now gives them an excuse not to run it. also a lot of sellers have taken to coming a bit later so they can see if its on and then joining the cars selling to prevent them having to wait upto two hours only to be told its not running.

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 04:34:00 PM »
I need to amend a prevous staement it is not thirty five miles there and back to Doncaster, but thirty five miles there and thirty five miles back a round trip of seventy miles to go to an event which we have on our own doorstep should we use an organisation competent enough to ensure that the event went ahead (which we don't). >:(

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »
That is a shame really as it could be utilised to bring in people into the town.
Some shops open do they not?
Maybe something going off in the Market squares - it may if given a chance and well organised benefit the whole of Chesterfield shops which open -
Sounds a half hearted attempt from what you say!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 07:52:42 PM »
Everybody should know that anything Chesterfield  Football Club is involved in will turn into a disaster regardless of how much involvement they have in it.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 10:34:40 PM »
Used to visit the donut carboot bi-monthly as a rule, never been since it moved to the proact.
It was easy to park in town, have a wander round the boot and the shops in 1 visit.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 12:37:03 AM »
Today i received an email from Graham Bean Executive Director of the football club who states the following in his response to my enquiry, "In regards to the point that you have raised regarding the 30 vehicle limit I have made enquiries but have not been able to ascertain from whom that directive came but it would not appear to have come direct from the Club." this is a direct copy and paste from his email, i can only guess as to where the directive came from and if i was forced to make a guess i would say it comes from people who are on the clock and getting paid wether the car boot sale runs or not, i have my own ideas as to the identity of the persons involved but i will leave it up to the readers to make their own decisions.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 01:10:49 AM »
 :-X
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 01:30:27 AM »
:-X
Oh go on, go on, go on, a father ted reference ;)

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 01:58:22 PM »
i have today been informed that another of the stall holders has given up on Chesterfield Car Boot Sale and that last sundays debacle was the final straw, i will not say who this person is however i can tell you he has a van so it costs him double the car rate to stand and he first started going to the boot sale back when it was on the donut car park and has been a regular ever since, he has decided to move his business to Doncaster Car boot sale where a large amount of chesterfields regulars have chosen to move to. :(

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
Oh go on, go on, go on, a father ted reference ;)

i have my own ideas as to the identity of the persons involved

I was biting my tongue. I wanted to say was it the security staff from the Pavements lol  :) (y)

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 05:34:03 PM »
I was biting my tongue. I wanted to say was it the security staff from the Pavements lol  :) (y)
oh come on they maybe incompetent at running a car boot,  but at least they are not abusive liars going round attacking innocent disabled people (and then denying it) for no other reason than giving themselves a massive hard on.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:37:22 PM by hifimad »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk