Author Topic: Mobile Canteen at Brampton Terminus  (Read 12047 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Mobile Canteen at Brampton Terminus
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Mobile Canteen at Brampton Terminus
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
Remember it well, there were 2 really old buses on the fleet back in t'sixties the similar one was used for driver training. Used to be quite interested in buses in my junior school days and had a book that listed the registration and fleet numbers of all the Corporation buses.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
Remember it well, there were 2 really old buses on the fleet back in t'sixties the similar one was used for driver training. Used to be quite interested in buses in my junior school days and had a book that listed the registration and fleet numbers of all the Corporation buses.
My Dad drove for CCT at that time and said he was trained in Leyland PD1 registration JRA 635. Petes photo shows JRA 634 on the right.
JRA 635 is preserved and owned, I beleive by Tim Watts (founder of TM Travel), and regularly attends Bus rallies. The last time I saw it you would think it was brand new. In fact I followed it up the hill going up in to Alfreton in a "modern" Stagecoach bus months ago. It carried on at a steady 40 mph, whilst mine went 35, 30, 25,...! ;D ;D
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
Anybody interested in transport topics in general (not just buses) have a look at www.focustransport.org.uk.
Its a locally based site as well.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
Former pupils of Chesterfield School will remember English teacher Tony Peart as a bus enthusiast.

I last saw him at Crich tramway museum with a bus he owned, not sure that he had an ex CCT one though but I think there is one parked up off Matlock Road somewhere near Kelstedge.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »
Former pupils of Chesterfield School will remember English teacher Tony Peart as a bus enthusiast.

I last saw him at Crich tramway museum with a bus he owned, not sure that he had an ex CCT one though but I think there is one parked up off Matlock Road somewhere near Kelstedge.
Tony was one of my English teachers at Chesterfield Boys School - he occasionaly came to work in the bus!Not sure if it was a Doncaster or Sheffield Bus he had, but Doncaster has my bet. AEC double decker I think - its a long time ago. I'm sure it was mostly a cream colour, perhaps with blue.
Some consternation in the teachers car park when their is a bloody big bus parked in it. :)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »
Tony Peart- Here we go:
It is with deep sorrow that we report the death of Tony Peart who died on Friday 29th September in Doncaster Royal Infirmary after a long fight against cancer.

Mr Peart, or Tony to all who know him, was an influential character within the bus and rail preservation movements for many years. As far back as the 1950’s, when Tony was leading the Doncaster Grammar School Model Railway Society, he was supporting the bus preservation scene too. Indeed, he was also a staunch supporter of Doncaster’s trolleybus network, which sadly came to an end in 1963, and made many aware of the beauties and benefits of the trolleybus. There are still members at our museum today whose interest in trolleybuses Tony sparked in those early days.

Tony was a prominent figure in the Doncaster bus enthusiast circle and at a time when railway sheds were starting to close and railway enthusiasts were becoming frustrated, a group was formed to organise trips to bus and trolleybus depots in the area. This group became known as the Doncaster Omnibus & Light Railway Society (DO&LRS), a title deliberately designed to encompass all areas of bus, rail and light rail interests. As a co-founder of DO&LRS Tony become the Vice President of the group. With Tony’s involvement DO&LRS preserved five historic Doncaster Motorbuses and Doncaster’s last ever trolleybus, which all live at The Trolleybus Museum. Many members of DO&LRS played an instrumental role in the formation of The Trolleybus Museum and many early members are still involved with us today.

Tony had always had an undying love for vehicles with AEC engines. So much so that Tony’s biggest desire was always to preserve Doncaster Corporation Motorbus number 60, a pre-war example of an AEC bus. Unfortunately this never transpired but Tony was not deterred and he scoured the country looking for a similar example. Eventually finding an example in York, Tony purchased it and slowly and painstakingly restored this bus, number 64, into a pristine condition. Tony also purchased a Doncaster motorbus of his own, number 122, and having been significantly battered and bruised as a driver training bus, it too has been meticulously restored back to working condition. Tony traveled many thousands of miles each year with his buses parading them at bus rallies around the country. His buses are never seen in public if not in perfect condition. The effort he put in was almost always rewarded with a prize or two at each event he attended. Tony set the standard in bus preservation for many years and was a clear role model for anyone preserving a bus. Tony also had the foresight to buy a vast amount of spare parts for his vehicles when many examples were being scrapped in the 1970’s. This prudence not only enabled Tony to keep his two vehicles on the road but also allowed many other preservationists to acquire parts that simply wouldn’t still exist otherwise.

The thousands of miles travelled each year were not simply for self-pleasure. As he traveled, Tony spread the word about both The Trolleybus Museum and DO&LRS. Often carrying posters on his buses for our events he also handed out leaflets and encouraged others to attend our events. Tony also enabled others to travel the country with him to enjoy seeing other fine preserved vehicles, one of his regular passengers for many years being otherwise quite immobile.

As well as preserving his two buses Tony took the unusual step of taking sound recordings of many specific buses and railway locomotives. This has ensured that sounds from the day’s of silent films have not been lost. Some of these recordings have been used by filmmakers to add the correct sounds to silent footage to accurately recreate the scenes of yesteryear for the viewer and to ensure history is not forgotten.

Tony’s knowledge of transport history and the bus preservation scene was unbound. He had regular features in several nationally published transport heritage magazines. Through this work he continued to influence and educate others around the country as he championed the transport preservation movement. Money earnt from this work, and all work throughout his life, had been put back into his preservation work. As well as passionately supporting his own two buses, Tony was a member of many other transport groups and societies, all of whom require financial support.

Tony Peart was a widely renowned and respected authority on bus and railway preservation. He allocated all his life to recording transport history and was instrumental in preserving Doncaster’s transport heritage too. A friendly man who always had time to talk, Tony will forever be remembered for his everlasting and enduring commitment to transport heritage, he will be sorely missed

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
Nice post tony27806

Obviously a gent in the knowledge and understanding of the industry.
RIP MR Peart

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

drummer1950

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
Myself and another chap were the first to get our Micky Mouse licences on Chesterfield Transport in 1980. These licences were for semi automatic busses only, as drivers used to pass their P.S.V.s on the Chesterfield Transport Dept., then go to East Midlands for more money, so they made all busses eventually semi autos to stop it. I remember using the old mobiles then. Great days, and great staff.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 04:33:43 PM »
Hi Drummer, welcome to ChesterfieldOnline  :)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »
Welcome from me too!  :)
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 12:01:48 PM »
Welcome from me as well  :D

redadmiral

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 08:51:19 PM »
I was browsing through old photos and found this fine shot. I enjoyed Scimitars comment on the sad passing of Tony Peart. As a fellow CGS lad, I smile when I remember Tony taping the old AEC coach engine on the school transport society outing to Carnforth sheds just prior to the end of steam. Yes Tony was a very dedicated person.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 11:53:54 PM »
Strict teacher nontheless >;

fransdad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 08:34:48 PM »
Hi All,
The bus that Tony Peart mostly took to school - at least in the 1970s - was his AEC Regent that had previously been with York Pullman. Its livery was maroon, cream and orange, He acquired the Doncaster bus referred to in the article in the early 1980s. In the mid 1970s he also bought an AEC "Q" single deck vehicle that was previously owned by Silver Service who operated in the Matlock area, although I don't know what happened to that. At one stage, the York and Doncaster buses were kept at Sandtoft museum on the outskirts of Doncaster. Tony (although most of us knew him as "Dapper") was also the curator of a railway museum, which was shown in the Michael Portillo programme when it visited Doncaster.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk