Author Topic: Making a regular back-up of your files.  (Read 4167 times)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Making a regular back-up of your files.
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:30:10 PM »
Just took me the best part of 3 hours to back up my important stuff.
Here's a screen shot of my photo's directory. 12,162 photo's  8)

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Making a regular back-up of your files.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
mmm I once backed up daughters photo's on her lappy and lost the lot  :-[
No idea where they went good job they were on my free agent drive.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:43:57 PM »
Now I've backed the laptop up, I can back up my external back-up drive to my other external back-up drive. LOL
I could do with a second laptop, I don't like using the internet and backing up at the same time on one machine.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »
I was wondering the other day if I should invest in a new free agent drive to put put stuff into. The one I have is getting on a bit now - if it breaks down I would be lost

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:50:35 PM »
Can't you guys get software that automatically backs up?

There's a programme that came with my computer that automatically scans my machine every half an hour and backs up any new changes to an external hard drive.

Dead useful for me as I'm both lazy and forgetful.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »
You're sat in the office Pete. My lappy lives in a cupboard. I switch it off and put it away every night after using it.
I could set up a system in the spare bedroom, but I don't think Our_Lass would be impressed with not seeing me all day at work, then me spending 3 hours in another room in the house LOL. At least we  can speak if we're in the same room at night  :-*

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »
I have an external hard drive but it doesn't automatically back up.
Anything I want to save its just second nature for me to transfer

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »
I have an external hard drive but it doesn't automatically back up.
Anything I want to save its just second nature for me to transfer

Same here, I save to an external flash drive using Microsoft SyncToy software, this 'echoes' what is on laptop so I always have a mirror image.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »
Just had a clear out and done a fresh backup of 'My Documents' and my 'Desktop'  :-?
Bloody stupid software has just replaced everything I had deleted from the laptop back on it  :-X
For some reason it was set to Synchronise, not Back-Up.
I didn't need those files on the lappy, just wanted to keep a copy safe  :)

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 08:18:59 PM »
Heres mine - but soon to be changed

Just ordered a 120GB SSD so that will be for Win7 and the 500GB will be storage.  However this PC can hold 6 Hard Drives (if I really wanted) but my 1TB External HDD is for my backup :-)

Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 08:26:28 PM »
I might be wrong, but don't they advise 'not' installing Windows on an SSD because of the read right issues  :?

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
Not heard that before.  Im looking forward to a boot time of around 15 seconds though
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Spire

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 01:24:52 AM »
Hi

Regarding back ups I am rather paranoid as in the past having lost valuable data on a couple of occasions it makes me very carful of backing up.

I do the following, my desktop pc (don't own a laptop) is backed up to my server in real time so any changes on my pc are immediately backed up to the server, then overnight the server backs up to a NAS Drive.

I migrated my win7 to a SSD and it works fine, if you are doing a fresh install of Win7 then pretty much everything is taken care of, if you google win7 and SSD there a few tweaks that can be made to win7.

I use my SSD for Win7 and program files and then I have mapped My Docs to a Non SSD 500gb data drive.

After having installed the SSD my win7 was noticeably faster on boot up and in use, but not as fast as I was expecting

I might be wrong, but don't they advise 'not' installing Windows on an SSD because of the read right issues  :?

SDD Drives have a limited write life.
Before windows 7, windows was not designed to work on SDD's and XP and Vista did a shed load of read write caching to the hard drive that the user never even noticed, as if that was not bad enough XP and Vista did not position the start sector on a SSD drive in the correct place, an SDD start sector is in a different place to normal spinning drives, and this is a problem because if the start sector on a SSD drive is set as if it were a spinning hard drive, it causes the SSD to move any data that is written to it.
In effect that means that every time data is written to the SDD it's like writing the same data twice, and as SSD have a limited write life the combination of double writing and the read write caching, cause the SSD's to have a shortened life.

The reason I know all this is because I could not face reinstalling Windows 7 and all my program files, so I did loads of research on what I needed to do to Migrate windows 7 to a SSD, and found out the issues I needed to address

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »
Thanks for that Spire, dispels any myths I had about it and should put Simon's mind at rest  :)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 09:23:35 AM »
My laptop's gone tits up  :(
So I booted off a Linux disk and tried to do a disk copy from the lappy to my external HDD.
It failed. It also trashed the external drive too. Batsard !!!    :'(

Re-installed Vista on the lappy. Trying to recover files from the ext HDD now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk