Author Topic: Has this forum had its day along with other local forums?  (Read 1331 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
Has this forum had its day along with other local forums?
« on: September 08, 2016, 04:27:31 PM »
Do locals forums have a future ?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Has this forum had its day along with other local forums?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:02:40 PM »
I think the future of local forums is rather grim. There are lots of facebook groups for many individual topics  :(
Not everyone uses facebook though, that's the type of person I hope would sign up and blend in here  (y)
It also depends on the few members the forum has, and the content of the posts made.
If everything is too political all the time, I think it drives (normal) people away.

Typical bad management thing, chesterfieldforum has had spam on it for 24 hours now. Don't admin/mods care ? 

A forums future also depends on whether someone will continue to pay for it's website name and hosting. (Me, on here  MD )
We're safe, I have no intention of giving it up yet  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Has this forum had its day along with other local forums?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:50:23 PM »
The old saying 'what goes around comes around' springs to mind.

I agree with fly about the facebook groups.

At the moment local history photographs are very popular but there are only so many around - what then?
Obviously that is just an example and there will be others which will carry on but only as long as the people in the group remain interested.
I also find that others will send 'friend requests' just because you are in the same group and 'get on when airing topics'

However on a forum like this people are more guarded about sharing their personal life.

I've been a member on here for  quite awhile now ( in fact I reckon I may have fossilized  :-? )
I've always tried not to offend other members and to be honest this hasn't been a forum which has had many problems like that.
It's always been well moderated.

There may not be many of us posting at the moment but the ones who do post decent stuff - quality not quantity can pay off and as fly says - he's not ready to give up on it yet
Quite right too Bazza  MD (y)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk