Author Topic: Random memories of town.  (Read 4259 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
Random memories of town.
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:19:06 PM »
I left Chesterfield in 2002 to live at Sheffield for work reasons and after meeting my partner . Back then I can recall a few random things about the town like for example:

Hudson record shop near the old Post Office I think they had a market stall in the Market Hall and a second shop near were Yates Wine Lodge was.

The 'Jesus ' Army bus that used to park near the Town Hall , what became of that?

Might have the name wrong here was there a Mr C restaurant on Low Pavements I seem to remember a restaurant located there?

YHCA church on Holy well Cross.

Gardener's pub

A New Age shop that was underground located in Theatre Yard no idea what it was called.

A gun shop on Beetwell Street that been closed for years .

The Green Room pub on South Street sort of Goth and Rock bar very basic place but fun.

A nightclub located in the Victoria Centre .
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Random memories of town.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:33:19 PM »
My sister worked in the Gardeners mid 80's.
Once went to a book sale in the room behind the YMCA.
Was the gun shop Halls ?
Remember going in the Moulin Rouge nightclub in the Vic centre  :)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 10:45:34 PM »
I left Chesterfield in 2002 to live at Sheffield for work reasons and after meeting my partner . Back then I can recall a few random things about the town like for example:

Hudson record shop near the old Post Office I think they had a market stall in the Market Hall and a second shop near were Yates Wine Lodge was.

The 'Jesus ' Army bus that used to park near the Town Hall , what became of that?

Might have the name wrong here was there a Mr C restaurant on Low Pavements I seem to remember a restaurant located there?

YHCA church on Holy well Cross.

Gardener's pub

A New Age shop that was underground located in Theatre Yard no idea what it was called.

A gun shop on Beetwell Street that been closed for years .

The Green Room pub on South Street sort of Goth and Rock bar very basic place but fun.

A nightclub located in the Victoria Centre .
Who can forget Hudsons - coming back from school & buying your single or L.P.!
The Jesus Army bus surprisingly still exists( called something else now - not sure) although I think it may only appear on one or two days a week.
Ymca  is now called "So" Nightclub.
Gardners Pub is now (I think) an Estate Agents. I frequented this pub in the early 80's on my lunch break & many Chesterfield football club players would be in there having their lunch after training including the present boss Danny Wilson. Don't tell him I said so though!
New Age shop - off my scope!The gun shop may be closed but I think their workshop may continue to the rear of Beetwell St.
The Green room was a favourite place for my daughter at one point.It's now the Soulville Steakhouse & quite popular - been a couple of times and has been ok.
Hope that has helped you catch up a bit (y)
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:22:21 PM »
In the late 1990s Chesterfield market had more stalls . Their was a New Age market stall near Mc Donalds he sold Rasta hats and t-shirts plus belts also on the Thursday markets near what is now Santander bank was a oldish guy who sold Army second hand army gear. Also remember the cafe in the Market Hall towards the back on the first floor spent many a hour in their ,going out of town Nettos supermarket. Seemed more choice back then must be getting old well I am over the big 40! :))

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 08:55:04 AM »
Were there really more Market stalls though WCT?
Today they are spread around town and if all put back within the market square I wonder how many spaces would be left?

Littlewoods and Woolworths and upstaires in the Boots which used to be on the side of the Market. Always called for a drink and a sausage roll in the little cafe near the Vicar Lane bus stand.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »
On my visit's to Chesterfield to me the market seems smaller I think their was a stall on a corner selling shoes near the Next shop both now gone. Also a hand bag stall on the main market . Noticed signs on the Burton shop windows its set to close on the 11th June seems a shame been their a long time.

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
My sister worked in the Gardeners mid 80's.
Once went to a book sale in the room behind the YMCA.
Was the gun shop Halls ?
Remember going in the Moulin Rouge nightclub in the Vic centre  :)
No idea what the gun shop was called never went in .

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »
Who can forget Hudsons - coming back from school & buying your single or L.P.!
The Jesus Army bus surprisingly still exists( called something else now - not sure) although I think it may only appear on one or two days a week.
Ymca  is now called "So" Nightclub.
Gardners Pub is now (I think) an Estate Agents. I frequented this pub in the early 80's on my lunch break & many Chesterfield football club players would be in there having their lunch after training including the present boss Danny Wilson. Don't tell him I said so though!
New Age shop - off my scope!The gun shop may be closed but I think their workshop may continue to the rear of Beetwell St.
The Green room was a favourite place for my daughter at one point.It's now the Soulville Steakhouse & quite popular - been a couple of times and has been ok.
Hope that has helped you catch up a bit (y)
I seem to remember another small record shop near the Blue Bell when I was younger I was very much into music . The guy who had it was oldish had a bread didn't think it lasted that long must have been open in 1998 as I brought Madonna single ' Nothing Really Matters To Me ' it was released that year from that shop it was next door to 'Howe's ' Shop.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 07:50:49 PM »
I used to love the Pet shop in the Shambles, I did a few days trial to work there - hated it.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »
Pet shops. Now there's another memory. Was it Mace's ?
Down the steps between Packers Row and the now Argos (y)

My 'earliest' memory of Chesterfield was visiting my grandma and grandad on Clarence Rd. They lived in the house attached to the back of the Miners Union offices on Saltergate. Grandma was the offices caretaker.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 01:06:25 AM »
Jesus bus is now called Church on a Bus and is part of a lot of Soup Kitchens and second hand clothing handout places.
Have got a list of them somewhere, will post it when I can find it.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »
I remember the 'new' pet shop fly.
Also Billy Webbers hair Salon where I went - is it still open?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 06:29:16 PM »
Webber's hair salon is now on Heaton St Up Chatsworth Rd OC  ;)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 07:03:23 PM »
Webber's hair salon is now on Heaton St Up Chatsworth Rd OC  ;)

Hadn't realised it had gone fly, it was actually a first floor salon back in the 70's.
It's been going a long time.

Not forgetting Cantors furniture store we have only one now in Chesterfield haven't we - Eyres?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk