Author Topic: Royal Hospital DNA notices  (Read 3583 times)

hifimad

• View Profile
Royal Hospital DNA notices
« on: November 27, 2018, 06:45:53 PM »
when you attend the royal hospital i am sure you have noticed the posters informing patients about the number of people who do not attend appointments, my partner goes to the hospital regularly, as she has flu we thought it wise for her not to keep her regular appointment and with this in mind i attempted over a period of over an hour and a half to call the department to cancel the appointment during this time i made 25 calls only to receive an answering machine telling me nobody was able to answer my call, which leads me to an obvious question how many of the published DNAs where in fact DNRs (did not respond) needless to say in the end i gave up so now my partners appointment will be put down as a DNA, i must admit to being totally frustrated after tying to do the right thing and not waste NHD time.

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: Royal Hospital DNA notices
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:52:37 PM »
I've had the same problem when trying to contact various departments.

What makes it worse was when I was first diagnosed with prostate cancer, I was given the number of the oncology nurse who said to ring her anytime I felt the need to speak to her. I did try but there was never any answer, nor was there a voicemail facility where I could leave a message. Thank goodness for the macmillan nurses who were more than able to answer my questions.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »
Can't say i've ever had a problem phoning the royal. Perhaps i'm just lucky.

The Hallamshire neurological team have a daytime number that always goes to an answer phone.
I've left a message 4 times now on separate occasions and they always phone me back within an hour (y)
Weston Park have a 24hr number, but thankfully we've had no need to call it yet  :-X
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:42:13 AM »
I've had the occasional time when getting to the department needed has been challenging.
ENT can be one such department.
Whilst on the Royal hospital subject we went on Monday for an out patient and the Costa Coffee was closed?
Is it permanent ?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:59:48 AM »
I've had the occasional time when getting to the department needed has been challenging.
ENT can be one such department.
Whilst on the Royal hospital subject we went on Monday for an out patient and the Costa Coffee was closed?
Is it permanent ?

I agree with your comment regarding ENT, I have to take my sister to that department on a regular basis.

Getting through to them ion the phone s akin to the chances of winning the lottery!!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »
I very rarely visit the hospital, thank goodness, if I'm correct like doctors/ dentists appointments that are usually made verbally they tend to send you a reminder via text maybe 24/48 hours beforehand surely anytime prior to receiving that text and actually going anything can happen so I would have thought that if you could just reply to the text, if it asks if you are coming that is, a simple yes/no reply would give them a heads up.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »
I very rarely visit the hospital, thank goodness, if I'm correct like doctors/ dentists appointments that are usually made verbally they tend to send you a reminder via text maybe 24/48 hours beforehand surely anytime prior to receiving that text and actually going anything can happen so I would have thought that if you could just reply to the text, if it asks if you are coming that is, a simple yes/no reply would give them a heads up.

Good point Sorastro! Get on the blower to Alan Sugar and make it happen!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 02:08:10 PM »
Yes I've just looked on my phone as I had an appointment at the Royal about a fortnight ago, I cleared my messages before that so cannot go back and check further but a couple of days after the appointment the Royal sent me a text asking to participate in a survey about my recent appointment, it said if I did not want to participate "Just ring this number" yet when I get similar from insurance companies etc they put "Just TEXT stop" so why can't the Royal do the same for something so important.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 12:00:21 PM »
Just visited a friend of mine in hospital, he says the food is very good, the staff are plentiful and can't do enough for you, he has his own room and he says his treatment is first class.....has he gone private? .........no it's an NHS hospital.

I think the many problems at places like the Royal stem from the fact these hospitals are obviously too big. Something is lost in these ginormous buildings. I read the other day of a patient in just such an hospital died on a stairwell in a part of the hospital that was rarely used and they weren't discovered for quite a while, she had visited her baby in the premature baby unit and basically "got lost" in the maze and by the time she was found she had bled to death.

Getting lost happened to me on numerous occasions when delivering inside to certain departments not just hospitals but places like schools and colleges. I don't care how good they think the signage is in these places you will take a wrong turn and you WILL get lost. Places like the Royal are far too big and I dread going, it's the same when your there and ask directions they give directions like you will automatically KNOW what they are talking about, it could be the first time you've ever been in there but they can't seem to grasp that concept, and if you don't seem to get what they are saying they look at you as if your round the twist.   

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 12:29:43 PM »
That made me smile! I've been for a blood test there on a couple of occasions, and both times I ended up in the laundry!!!  :-?

It obviously happens often, as a member of staff knew where I was supposed to be heading without me asking!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 12:40:20 PM »
Derby hospital in Mickleover is the same, a huge monstrosity of a place, but at least there, someone has had the foresight to realise people WILL get lost so in the "centre" of the hospital walkways stand volunteers ready to ask and point you in the right direction. 

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 02:53:42 AM »
I was once booked on training in their Theater ( not operations   :-? )
Not easy to find and even some staff I asked didn't know where it was!

As a ps I see the Costa Coffee is now at the back of the shop in Calow hospital

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »
Christmas Eve saw me rushed into the A&E in Calow Hospital.
It was really quiet ( 7.00 pm )
I was given tests and finally allowed home at midnight, and pleased to be going home, it was still very quiet.

As we were leaving I noticed a large number of cars in the disabled parking bay and the bay below.
I couldn't help feeling sad for the people who were visiting so late on Christmas Eve,  possibly very sick friends or relatives.

Sometimes we need to count our blessings

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 06:00:40 PM »
Christmas Eve saw me rushed into the A&E in Calow Hospital.
It was really quiet ( 7.00 pm )
I was given tests and finally allowed home at midnight, and pleased to be going home, it was still very quiet.

As we were leaving I noticed a large number of cars in the disabled parking bay and the bay below.
I couldn't help feeling sad for the people who were visiting so late on Christmas Eve,  possibly very sick friends or relatives.

Sometimes we need to count our blessings

Hope you're ok OC.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 08:20:55 PM »
Hope you're ok OC.

Thank you Alsatian.

Today has been the first day since taking ill Christmas Eve that I have felt well and haven't needed to go to bed in the afternoon.
I spent three hours waiting to see my GP this morning - I received a call from the receptionist yesterday advising my GP had picked up an email regarding my admission to A&E and wanted to see me.

Result is an emergency ECG next week followed by another appointment with my GP the day after.
I have to request a copy of my ECG to give to GP.
It's all to do with medication.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk