Author Topic: Is dying early a good career move in music?  (Read 1986 times)

Slacker

• View Profile
Is dying early a good career move in music?
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »
Take Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley and Cliff Richard all heroes in the late '50s of the newly invented teenagers.

Buddy, dead at 25 over 59 years ago will always be thought of a young rock 'n' roller and his music is still bought today by people who were born a long time after he died.

Elvis Presley, late in his life was already a bit of a has-been trawling the chicken in a basket circuit. dead at 42 but 35 years on people remember the high spots of his career and still buy his music.

Cliff Richard, still trudging along at 71. Got some devoted followers but for many has been regarded as somewhat a joke by many for the last 40 years or more.

Take the Beatles: McCartney was probably the better songwriter on the later albums but since Lennon's death he will always be remembered as a rock 'n' roller whereas Sir Paul is very much a middle of the road establishment figure.

Apple (not the Beatles label) has today been criticised for upping the price of Whitney Houston songs in the itunes store. Surely the fault of the music buying public who suddenly find her music more desirable now she has died?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:38:46 PM by Slacker »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Is dying early a good career move in music?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 07:45:33 PM »
Not for the artist  ;)
Just the record company IMHO
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 07:47:57 PM »
>> Is dying early a good career move in music?

No.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:01:01 AM »
How can it be? 

Noone has a choice when they die.  Its not like its preventable.  Its the only thing guaranteed in life.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:07:13 AM »
I can understand Slacker's point. It's hard to imagine (sorry that's an unintended pun)  what an old John Lennon or Marc Bolan would be doing now.
It's the same with the movies, everyone still remembers James Dean and Marilyn Monroe as these iconic figures from the 50's in the prime of their lives. They didn't have to endure the same degeneration into portly old age suffered by say Marlon Brando and Elizabeth Taylor.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

k4blades

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:35:44 AM »
Last nights Antiques Roadshow, ( a repeat), had someone on who had a hat that was Michael Jacksons. The programme was made not long after his death and the hat was valued at over £25000. That was only the case because of his recent death, and it always helps the artist in terms of record sales. Though not really that much help if they are dead.
I think it would be better if they didn't die though, then we wouldn't have put up with the rubbish from todays useless crop. But I agree, those that carry on, end up being a bit of a parody of their former selves, and though they try to make new stuff, fans always want to listen to them at their prime.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 03:26:16 PM »
Maybe the title could have been more subtle but Jon has picked up on the point I was making

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk