Author Topic: NHS Services?  (Read 12362 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
NHS Services?
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
Just had the following experience of the NHS - including the 'new' 111 service:

Mother-in-law, aged 92, was hospitalised in April after suffering a mild stroke, she was also diagnosed with the early onset of Dementia (She also has very low kidney function). She was discharged after a few weeks and was given a care plan that ensured someone came in each morning to get her up, washed and dressed, given her breakfast and to make sure she took her tablets. This ceased after a while and she became more or less self-sufficient with help from family members (Son and Daughter (my wife)).

When we returned from our last holiday (October) we were told that she had been admitted to hospital after suffering a mild heart attack. She then started with a cold whilst in hospital and she was released after 10 days being told that she would be better at home. She was collected by her son with a pack of tablets but without any care plan (despite being told that she would receive care in the short term).

We, as a family, continued to look after her during the day, but, after a week her cold was getting steadily worse. A doctor came out to see her and she was diagnosed with a chest infection and prescribed anti-biotics. The doctor told us to call '111' if she didn't improve in 48 hours, she was worse after 48 hours and we called 111 and requested a visit by the on-call doctor. He arrived after 7 hours and prescribed a different anti-biotic, which I took to the chemist.

After a further 48 hours she was by this time far worse and she was now receiving 24/7 care from family as she was becoming weak from a total lack of sleep and the inability to eat (and what she did eat soon came back up!). Her coughing bouts were coming at intervals of 15-20 seconds and she looked bloody awful!

We rang the Careline alarm who passed the call to the 111 service, who called us back after ¾ hour - after a lot of questioning she told us that perhaps we should call a doctor out to prescribe different anti-biotics, we said we wanted her to go into hospital (by this time she was too weak to even stand). They told us it would be between a 1 and 4 hour wait for an ambulance.

At this point I called 999 and a paramedic came within 5 minutes and, after examining her called for an ambulance as a 'hot one'. The ambulance came within a few minutes and she was soon in A&E where she was immediately given a nebuliser, had blood tests taken and given a chest X-ray. Even at this stage they said it all depended on the blood test results whether she would be admitted or not.

After all this they found that she had fluid in one lung and an infection in the other!!! She is now in the EMU ward waiting for a doctor to see her.

My gripe in all this is: I thought the NHS, including its' subsidiary services (eg the 111 sysytem) were care driven - it seems to me that it is either finance or target driven, or this is the way it seems to be to us, as surely this is no way to treat an elderly person.

As an aside, before she was admitted my wife was trying to arrange some care to help us and the chap at Social Services was appalled that she had been discharge after the heart attack with no help from them. He has now told us to tell a nurse that she needs a full review from the social work team before she is discharged.

OK rant over!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: NHS Services?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
Sounds like a nightmare Keith - good job you and your missus were on the case, could have gone horribly wrong.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
Sounds like a nightmare Keith - good job you and your missus were on the case, could have gone horribly wrong.

Yes, a case of balancing health vs our inheritance and health won!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
Downright f*****g disgusting mate. Animals get treat better in this country !!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
My wife works for the 111 service. I'd rather not get involved in this thread for obvious reasons
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:23 PM »
So it's not true that the NHS DIRECT 0845 464748? staff are now facing job losses.
Me being stupid didn't realise that Nhs Direct was already a sell off to a private company.
I thought it was an NHS helpline, no wonder the few times I'd had to phone them, they were feckin useless !

111 is another sell off, they can provide a service cheaper than Nhs Direct and got the contract !!!

Fat lot of use to me and the country. Say I have an accident in the next twenty minutes. 10:05pm 13/11/2012
111 rung on the ladder and it snaps, the cut on your leg wants 111 looking at.
They will tell you to go to A&E cos there isn't an alternative. The doctors is shut LOL :-)

Good public spending isn't it
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:45:45 PM »
Just an update - spoke to a doctor at the hospital today who told us that she is very poorly and, amongst other things has bronchitis and low sodium levels. He said it will be an uphill struggle up to the weekend to fight the infection and then hopefully things will improve.

He also told us we did the right thing in using the 999 service to get her in hospital.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
What can I say mate, money before people  :'(

I hope it all turns out Ok

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:59:20 PM »
Thanks Barry, appreciate that.

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
I do hope she is back on the mend now Alsatian x
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »
Thanks for that OC.

Been to see today and she looks quite a bit brighter, doctor told her she'd got pneumonia and - wait for it - people her age die from it, but you won't!

Was he the proverbial 'Jobes comforter'?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 09:26:06 PM »
Hope you take this in the right sense Alsatian.
I'd have slapped a £20 on the table then said come on then doc, time span smart ass. Odds ?

Aunty doesn't want the 5 year warranty on the new chair lift. We all don't actually.
She hopes she's not here in 5 years. That is so sad  :(
Her words tonight tonight, not mine.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 08:55:47 AM »
@ Alsatian - what a thing to say - these Dr's need to brush up on their bedside manners.

@ Fly I think there comes a time when some people have just 'had enough' and the thoughts of complete peace is very much wanted.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »
Hope you take this in the right sense Alsatian.
I'd have slapped a £20 on the table then said come on then doc, time span smart ass. Odds ?

Love it Fly! Just one (ahem) fly in the ointment ( ::) ) - I'm not allowed to have any money!!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk