Author Topic: Did you read the small print?  (Read 1004 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Did you read the small print?
« on: October 04, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »
Everyone knows years ago signing a contract for literally anything was an absolute minefield. You got your contract for whatever and it was reams and reams of writing that was so small even with 20/20 vision you needed a magnifying glass to read it, and if you managed to actually read the contract through without losing the will to live chances are it was in legal speak and it made no sense to you, hence the times you had to "put in a claim" the guy on the other side of the counter usually sucked in air through clenched lips and muttered those immortal words "YES BUT DID YOU READ THE small PRINT?? knowing full well you hadn't, because...... well you hadn't. 

I was prompted to start this post because even now I can honestly say I still don't read every word. As above, do people take the time to REALLY read things or do they just look at the main bits and don't bother with the rest, I think most of us are guilty of that, but even now with contracts "simplified" we still tend to skirt over it in the hopes we have got all the relevant information.

It reminded me of when I worked for a well known firm in the 80's {they were forever having seminars and staff refresher courses} and in one such lesson/course it was mainly about paying attention, to written and verbal instruction, the test was simple, each had a sheet of paper, face down, all we were told before we started was "You have only 5 minutes to complete the task starting now"
I turned over the paper to reveal 30 questions, the first thing it said on the top in bold type was "Read EVERY question before starting". Reading on number 1 was put the date in the top left corner which I did, number 2 was put your name top right ditto, the rest to about question 9 was draw a triangle next to your name that kind of thing basically silly stuff, I was cracking them off as it wasn't difficult at all. It wasn't till I, and most of the others, had got to about question 23, it said ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ONE to SIX.... I believe out of about 20 of us only about 3 had done it correctly and I wasn't one of them.
Another case of not reading the "contract" was a woman on T.V. this morning who's brand new car was clamped because it hadn't been registered with the DVLA about the car tax. The car was exempt from tax but she didn't realise you STILL had to register it, and after she did the clamp was removed but she still had a fine to pay, her excuse was she couldn't see where it said it on the UGOV site but it's there.
 As for contracts,I have just renewed my internet contract, I could renew it for 18 or 24 months and if I want out during that time I have to pay the rest of the contract period WHY? I can change my utility company in a matter of a couple of weeks why are phone and internet contracts so long.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Did you read the small print?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 07:38:54 PM »
Have to admit I don't / can't read all of the small print in these agreements - I reckon they do it purposely to catch us out.

Never had any problems yet though apart from Macafee - not a small print problem but if I don't watch the beggers they flick the automatic  re-new back on!!! >:(
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 01:57:02 AM »
Conspiracy stuff Pam.
Who do you think writes the viruses in the first place  >; (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »
reading the small priint is not even the half of it, trying to understand it is the real challenge, i do not have any problems with my internet provider i am on three mobile and top it up every month, the reason i do this?, i refuse to be tied to a contract that ties me up for long periods, and also i will not tie myself to something purposely designed to ensure i will not fully understand what i am commiting myself to.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 05:53:18 PM »
reading the small priint is not even the half of it, trying to understand it is the real challenge, i do not have any problems with my internet provider i am on three mobile and top it up every month, the reason i do this?, i refuse to be tied to a contract that ties me up for long periods, and also i will not tie myself to something purposely designed to ensure i will not fully understand what i am commiting myself to.

Good idea  (y)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk