Author Topic: Glass half full {a pessimists view}  (Read 1166 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Glass half full {a pessimists view}
« on: November 21, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »
A good while ago now {on the other forum} there was a discussion concerning the "success" of the old colliery site at Markham vale.
Basically in it's inception in 2006 it trumpeted it would create over 4,000 jobs with new businesses being attracted to the site, I didn't believe it then and I still don't.
Thus far, 12 years down the line, there are approximately 1,600 jobs on the site, just over a third promised with roughly 2/3rds of the site being utilised, I'm the first to admit that things take time and not to expect miracles overnight, but at this rate, if true, you will be looking well into the early stages of the 2030's for a capacity site.
The mention of jobs, 1,600.  According to my sources {who work or have worked for companies on the site} the vast majority of their fellow "workmates" do not have English as their first language, so how many "locals" work there?.

I have also read that we lost the main Talgo train factory. As it was put "We narrowly missed out to Logannet in Fife" don't you mean you lost! that's like saying I narrowly missed out winning the lottery as I was only 6 numbers out.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Glass half full {a pessimists view}
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:02:20 PM »
I think most of the companies there relocated from other places because of the offer of cheap business rates. They therefore brought their workforce with them  :(
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
I think most of the companies there relocated from other places because of the offer of cheap business rates. They therefore brought their workforce with them  :(

Yes true Fly quite a few re located, some saw it as a chance to increase the size of their businesses, or merge more than one site into a larger one as unlike "Industrial estates" like this one property elsewhere can be at a premium.
As for cheap business rates to attract them, if true, it seems to fly in the face of what's happening in the town centre, most of the little guys are being "rated" out of business, seems to be a cock eyed way of bringing so called life back into Chesterfield town centre.
As for the workforce being local, because of the M1 someone can literally drive from say Rotherham or say Sutton in Asfield to 29A possibly faster than someone from the other side of town.
The only problem with using the M1 is and always has been "It's only as good as the next accident"

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:12:59 PM »
Just browsing for a part for my car and suddenly discovered that the HUGE Andrew Page complex on the Markham Vale site was closed down late last year as apparently A.P. went bang and some of it has been turned over to a subsidiary of Euro parts.
Come to think of it,that's probably why I've not seen an Andrew Page van on the roads recently.

Apparently early this year the site was overrun by gypo's whether they are still there or not I don't know as I don't tend to go up there often. 

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 11:48:44 PM »
Just browsing for a part for my car and suddenly discovered that the HUGE Andrew Page complex on the Markham Vale site was closed down late last year as apparently A.P. went bang and some of it has been turned over to a subsidiary of Euro parts.
Come to think of it,that's probably why I've not seen an Andrew Page van on the roads recently.

Apparently early this year the site was overrun by gypo's whether they are still there or not I don't know as I don't tend to go up there often.

Start a new company up to make the best of the rates deal, then close it when it's done. Just saying  ::)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 09:16:58 PM »

Still on the lookout I went on the "Car parts 4 less" site, the item I was looking at {but not the one}  was approximately 50% cheaper than Europarts, it turns out both companies are one and the same.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk