Author Topic: Smart Meter  (Read 12321 times)

bransoj

• View Profile
Re: Smart Meter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 10:10:19 AM »
We used a tool on the Martin Lewis site to compare the options and ended up changing to Bulb who seem to be pretty good although their prices have gone up recently. That said there is no fee\penalty if we choose to leave.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 11:29:44 AM »
We used a tool on the Martin Lewis site to compare the options and ended up changing to Bulb who seem to be pretty good although their prices have gone up recently. That said there is no fee\penalty if we choose to leave.

Never heard of that company
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 09:53:13 AM »
https://bulb.co.uk/about/

No issues to date and switching was pretty simple. If you do switch you can do it via this link and i think we both get a discount of some sort...not 100% sure on the details.

bulb.co.uk/refer/jonb8184?utm_campaign=account-referral-share&utm_medium=copy-link&utm_source=copy-button

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »
We chose OVO from compare site and have been happy with them.
We like the fact that any monies accrued in our account with them gets a teeny bit of interests and we have two choices. Either claim it back or roll it over for the coming winter which as we know we use more energy.
They don't keep putting monthly amount up or taking it down. It's been consistent for several years now

Sounds o.k. that one O.C.
I did look on the compare website Fly, but that was just to see who they "voted" for so I wrote a few of them down and went onto the companies individual review sites on Truspilot to check them out, very mixed reviews on all. I can't remember what the outcome was as I threw the scrap of paper away I'd scribbled on, but basically I chose the first one over Peoples Energy but it turns out they are a totally paperless business. All meter reads are done on your i-phone {I don't possess one} and they only converse online and as I ALWAYS insist on a hard copy through the post as well it was a no brainer for me. The second one just didn't get back to me which I thought rude {I think that might have been Robin Hood Energy} so I went with Peoples Energy. 

Apparently the top 5 for cheap deals are....... Peoples energy, Orbit energy, Utility point, Avro energy and Lumo.

Strangely enough NONE of those appear in the Which survey of top rated suppliers these are apparently {in order}:-
Octopus, Robin Hood, So, Ebico, Tonik, Ovo, Utility warehouse, Bristol, Bulb, Ecotricity.

I will spend a few days checking out these companies reviews then make a decision, you never know I might even end up staying with Peoples energy. The first one to look into will be OVO.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 12:38:00 PM »
Just spent a bit of time looking up 4 of these companies reviews on Trustpilot {only went down 2 pages for each for fairness}

Percentage wise this is how they panned out, out of the total for each {100%} these were the %'s for poor/bad reviews........

OVO.......... 36%

AVRO........ 12%

SO............ 6%

OCTOPUS... 2%

As I say I will see what my company is doing to my prices, but Octopus is looking good for a substitute.
Will check on more if I can.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 02:01:36 PM »
The only thing to consider when making a decision based on review sites, is the fact that more people are likely to leave a bad review than a good review, therefore results can be skewed towards a companys' bad results,and not be a fair and accurate representation.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 08:08:24 PM »
The only thing to consider when making a decision based on review sites, is the fact that more people are likely to leave a bad review than a good review, therefore results can be skewed towards a companys' bad results,and not be a fair and accurate representation.

Quite right Alsatian....then again many companies {like holiday hotels on Trip adviser for e.g.} have often been accused of inventing "fake" good reviews to counterbalance the negativity, so I take each review with a pinch of salt and the ultimate choice is mine and mine alone, sooner or later you have to have a leap of faith and go with your gut instinct.
Reminds me of that T. shirt I saw someone wearing abroad years ago.... "Eat sh*t  100 billion flies CAN'T be wrong"

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 08:13:01 PM »
"Eat sh*t  100 billion flies CAN'T be wrong"

99,999,999,999   I don't  C:-) ;) :)) (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 08:57:49 AM »
When it comes to reviews as mentioned more folk take the time to have a moan than give a good review but also try and see what they are actually complaining about. Number of times i've seen bad reviews for completely unrelated or irrelevant issues. Different subject but as an example i was looking at an app for my iPhone to do something and it was actually one from Apple themselves. There was one review and the guy hadnt even downloaded it but was just complaining that the app hadnt been updated in three years and why was this the case etc etc. I actually downloaded it and it worked fine doing exactly what it should do but plenty would just see it as having 1 out of 5 stars on its reviews and ignore it based on that.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 10:00:22 AM »
I can only say on our own personal experiences with OVO and we have had no problems. We have a paperless account and they send an email with mini statement each month a few days before the monthly monies are taken out.

I deal with my daughters energy account as well.
She uses EDF. Again no problems hers is also a paperless account. EDF have an online chat available once you log into your account.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:02:42 AM by Old Cruser »

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 10:26:04 AM »
I can only say on our own personal experiences with OVO and we have had no problems. We have a paperless account and they send an email with mini statement each month a few days before the monthly monies are taken out.

I deal with my daughters energy account as well.
She uses EDF. Again no problems hers is als76o a paperless account. EDF have an online chat available once you log into your account.

As I say O.C. the final say is yours and yours alone, if your satisfied with the service you are receiving then good for you. I did not mean to infer that you were on a bad service, the figures I quoted were just a guideline. If everyone took notice and acted on bad comments the big 6 would no longer be in business, their bosses MUST realise by now just how much business they have lost to the smaller companies by being greedy and not treating their customers to good service, it must run into £billions a year.

As I stated I use reviews as a guide, I know there are people out there who complain just for the sake of it, they would give, say a hotel, a scathing review if they thought the toilet rolls were the wrong colour. I usually go back on some reviews that are pages long if the first page seems to have more negative than positive reviews, and again with hotels you can usually pick up on when the "rot" set in, change of management perhaps or good staff leaving being replaced by surly staff the usual stuff, in my case it's when hotels are all inclusive, great for families but not for me.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2019, 12:36:28 PM »
So have we sorted the Energy out Sorastro?

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 12:49:00 PM »
So have we sorted the Energy out Sorastro?

Not as yet O.C. will check on the new increase first to see what it is, if I can live with it then all's well, I'm more interested in how often these price hikes will occur. 

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
It would appear one of those companies I mentioned is in fear of going belly up.

It is alleged.......
Robin Hood energy, which is owned and controlled by the Labour run Nottingham council, appears to be in dire straights. According to the bean counters the council keeps "bailing out" the company with so called loans, so since it's inception in 2015 the tax payer has flushed approximately 27 million down the pan and it's losing more by the day. the council says it has a shortfall because there are that many new customers coming on board they are finding it hard to keep up and adapt, other people just think those in charge don't know what they're doing as no one on the council has any business back ground. I know which one I believe!!

Apparently a lot of these small energy firms were set up in readiness for the huge interest and usage of every ones favourite Shale gas. Until that time comes, if it ever does, they have to get there energy supplies from where everyone else does and so you see price hikes, because unlike the big 6 they haven't got the reserves to keep prices low enough, well not as long as the big 6.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 08:12:16 PM »
Give that one a miss then Sorastro  :-?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk