Author Topic: FAO Fly.Driving in Chesterfield  (Read 2065 times)

Umpire

• View Profile
FAO Fly.Driving in Chesterfield
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:17:29 PM »
Hi Fly could you answer me some questions on the above for a driver  in Chesterfield not disabled.

1.If you drive down Rose Hill East can you turn left.
2.If you can can you go up Soresby Street and Glumangate .
3.Again if you can can you go along Knifesmithgate onto Cavendish Street.
4.If you want to drive up Stephensons Place can you only do that by approaching from Church Way End and not from the Donut End.

Umpire

• View Profile
Re: FAO Fly.Driving in Chesterfield
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 06:44:20 PM »
One more which I forgot.Can you  still drive down Elder Way and if so do you have to turn left?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:18:42 PM »
Drive where you want. There aren't any traffic wardens so the only people with powers over traffic are the police. If a police person does stop you, apologise immediately and tell them you think you've made a wrong turn and how do you get back onto the main rd near the town hall and the car parks.  8)
But I didn't tell you, right  (y)

1. Yes.

2. Yes to both.
You must turn left at the top of Soresby St back onto Saltergate.
You must turn right at the top of Glumangate back onto Saltergate.

3. You can if you are going to Marks and Sparks loading bay to pick up shopping(ask me about this later). Otherwise, no.

4. You can't drive onto Church Way from St Mary's Gate 10am-4pm. Neither can you drive onto Cavendish or Stephensons from Church Way, it's a bus lane.  You cant turn onto Cav St or Steph Plc from the Donut direction. You can turn up Steph Plc towards the donut direction, but the only place you can get to is the Spire, or back down Cav St.

You haven't been able to drive down Elder Way for the last 20 or more years as far as I know unless you're a lorry/delivery, taxi, or disabled. You must then turn left and back down Cav St or Steph Plc.

On a lighter note, taxis can now use the bus lanes. It's a pleasure to turn right at Tapton up towards the crem. The look on everybodies faces as they turn down towards Sainsburys to do a turn around  :P :))

Any more questions I am more than glad to answer if I can  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 09:42:06 PM »
Thanks for that.I usually go after 3pm into Donut or   pick wife  up on Town Hall if she has been shopping.I have to say after nearly 60 years of driving I have never paid to park in town.I generally walk it or on the odd occasion caught the bus.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 09:44:50 PM »
Nearly 20 years ago, i drove from the Town Hall straight across through the junction of Knifesmithgate/Glumangate to go to M&S.  The loading bay was already in use which left me nowhere to park, so I drove straight through and parked opposite Oxfam, on a taxi rank, and walked back to M&S for my customer and her shopping. Luckily it was a regular who I knew and didn't have mobility problems.
A week later I received a summons, £80, for driving through said area. £40 fine, £40 costs.
Regardless of the so called unwritten agreement with the council and M&S with their 'collect by car, pick up point', the law said I had broken the 'No Entry' rules and must pay the fine.
Basically, a traffic warden had seen me drive through the area, took my number and filled the paper work in. GUILTY !!

M&S said they had an agreement with the council, but couldn't provide me with written proof and told me to take it up with the council,
The council said they don't control road signs. DCC do.
DCC said it must be a bye law of CBC
CBC said contact M&S cos there's no bye laws.
My phone bill was going up.
West Bars court house were going to prosecute me further for non payment of fines.
AAAaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhh !!!!!!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »
I think it was 1959 when I took my motor bike test and the test office was  right at the top of Elder Way where the Coop food  hall is.
You did a figure of  eight down Elder Way along Knifemithgate,Cavendish Street,Saltergate back down Elder Way right at the bottom  on to Rose Hill  up Rose  Hill East  ,right on to Saltergate and back to Elder Way.
You had no idea where the examiner was but at some point on the test he would jump out into the road from behind a lamp post or car for your emergency stop.I managed to pass first time.

Those were the days.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »
My motorbike test was similar in 1984. Test centre was on Saltergate opposite Marsden St. Round the block, down Clarence Rd, back to the Town Hall, Knifesmithgate, Glumangate etc  ;)

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »
My motorbike test was similar in 1984. Test centre was on Saltergate opposite Marsden St. Round the block, down Clarence Rd, back to the Town Hall, Knifesmithgate, Glumangate etc  ;)

Wasn't it the building at the top of the car park - it later became something to do with the TUC? If so that was where I took my car driving test (9:45 5th November 1970, driving examiner Mr King). Pity I can't remember what happened yesterday!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 08:51:10 PM »
Yes, that's the one. When I took(and passed  ;D ) my car test in 1989 it had moved down Sheffield Rd on the access rd to the bus depot.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 01:37:26 PM »
Wasn't it the building at the top of the car park - it later became something to do with the TUC? If so that was where I took my car driving test (9:45 5th November 1970, driving examiner Mr King). Pity I can't remember what happened yesterday!

Yes the test centre was on Saltergate and it was something to do with workers rights or something {thankfully never needed their services}
I too took my test there {1969} and like you my examiner was Mr. King, also I can remember 90% of that test even though it was all those years ago, almost every minute is still engraved on my brain, as I was so intent on passing, also I could not afford {financially} to fail.
 {£1 for pre-test lesson, £3 test =£4.... a lot of cash then}

My test was 45 minutes long from start to finish, I drove a brand new Austin 1100 {Kennings school of motoring}
I originally had a couple of lessons with Cowley's {19/- per lesson} but had to meet them in town, but for another shilling Kennings called for you at home, and as I paid 4d bus fare to town and the same back it was a no brainer.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »

Yes the test centre was on Saltergate and it was something to do with workers rights or something {thankfully never needed their services}
I too took my test there {1969} and like you my examiner was Mr. King, also I can remember 90% of that test even though it was all those years ago, almost every minute is still engraved on my brain, as I was so intent on passing, also I could not afford {financially} to fail.
 {£1 for pre-test lesson, £3 test =£4.... a lot of cash then}

My test was 45 minutes long from start to finish, I drove a brand new Austin 1100 {Kennings school of motoring}
I originally had a couple of lessons with Cowley's {19/- per lesson} but had to meet them in town, but for another shilling Kennings called for you at home, and as I paid 4d bus fare to town and the same back it was a no brainer.

Similarly I too remember most of my test route.

At the time I worked for Kennings so I also learnt in an Austin 1100, which was quite a change from my Dad's Austin Westminster A105 (2,632 cc that'd pass owt but a petrol pump!) that I learnt in for the first 5 months of my 6 month provisional licence. Also, working for Kennings, I got staff discount of 1/- (5p) so my lessons cost me 19/- (95p).
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 09:02:17 AM »
I took my test in March 1993....remember it well as i was due to take it on a Tuesday evening but the weather got bad including some snow and someone on a test before my group of 3 or 4 had a crash returning with the front bumper in the boot of the car so they cancelled ours and said we could come back the following morning as there were no tests scheduled. Only problem was they would be at 9:15am so there was still pretty heavy traffic knocking about. Also to top things off for me I was the 4th of 4 to leave the test centre so whilst the other three went left and along Sheffield Rd away from town i was asked to turn right across the heavy traffic and then taken down the quieter roads towards the college as all the kids were going in and made to do my emergency stop!! After that I was back along Sheffield Rd to Whitt Moor roundabout where i turned left and got a minor for leaving my indicator on too long as it hadnt self cancelled and i hadnt spotted it!! Seem to remember doing a reverse around the corner on a bit at Dunston where it was downhill then uphill as well.

I got a fair few minors but examiner was happy to pass me saying which i remember him saying they were all little things that would come with experience. I was the only one of the four to pass that morning as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk