Author Topic: Traffic light improvements A61 Chesterfield  (Read 9141 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Traffic light improvements A61 Chesterfield
« on: March 07, 2017, 01:27:45 PM »
I've just had this email from DCC

Brilliant - always something to delay us.

Think I will be using the scenic route.  ::)

Work to replace traffic lights outside a Chesterfield leisure park is set to start next week.

Traffic lights on the A61 outside the town's Alma Leisure Park, which sites a cinema and several restaurants, are being upgraded by us.

The work is essential as the current lights are reaching their sell-by date and is also part of wider work to improve road conditions and help manage congestion along Derby Road.

The current signals will be replaced with LED lights and extra low voltage technology which will help reduce energy costs.

Work is set to start at 8am, on Monday 13 March 2017, and is expected to take around six weeks.

The work has been planned to avoid the need for temporary traffic lights. Diversions will be in force around the clock and traffic will not be allowed to turn right into or out of the leisure park.

A temporary crossing will be in place near to the entrance to the park for pedestrians.

And diversion signs will be in place. For traffic wanting to turn right into the leisure park the alternative route will be via Hornsbridge Roundabout.

Traffic turning left out of the leisure park will be diverted via the A61 southbound, Baden Powell Road, Redvers Buller Road, before rejoining the A61 northbound.

Our Cabinet Member for Highways, Transport and Infrastructure Councillor Dean Collins, said:

"Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum but unfortunately this work is likely to cause delays so motorists are advised to allow extra time for their journeys."
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic light improvements A61 Chesterfield
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 03:03:36 PM »
Can't wait >:(
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »
Go the scenic route

Like everybody else  ::)

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:25:12 PM »
I must admit I just cannot understand why  Redvers Buller Road and the one opposite Screwfix  are having loads of money spent on them.Originally I thought they were both being blocked off to stop them being used as rat runs but that does not appear to be the case
Redvers Buller just seems to have had work done at the junction with Derby Road which took about  three weeks and on top of that they managed to fracture a water main.
Maybe its because its March and they have not spent all their budget.Is there another reason?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:33:26 PM »
Those roads are having pedestrian priority measures put in place. If you want to turn off the main Derby Rd onto one of those roads, you must wait until any pedestrians have finished crossing, or you must wait and give way to people who want to cross. Same if you are coming down one of the roads. Pedestrians have priority.

What an absolute fantastic idea. Wish I'd thought of it.
I could have a job in an office at Matlock and never drive around Chesterfield LOL (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »
To be honest stopping folk turning right at those lights into the retail park is not the worst idea in the world. Quite often the number of cars turning right is to much for the small bit of right turn lane and it causes issues for folk just wanting to go straight on. That said the design of the retail park is garbage as well with it not able to cope with the number of cars it gets at really busy times. I used to be a member of the gym when it was Cannons and you could have great fun watching folk fall out and near misses as all the normal roundabout rules went out the window as folk tried to get in and out.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »
To be honest stopping folk turning right at those lights into the retail park is not the worst idea in the world. Quite often the number of cars turning right is to much for the small bit of right turn lane and it causes issues for folk just wanting to go straight on. That said the design of the retail park is garbage as well with it not able to cope with the number of cars it gets at really busy times. I used to be a member of the gym when it was Cannons and you could have great fun watching folk fall out and near misses as all the normal roundabout rules went out the window as folk tried to get in and out.

I agree with you bransoj, the whole lay out of that area was ill thought out, I have had problems turning right onto the complex. Also getting stuck on the middle of the roundabout when the traffic comes to a sudden full stop. Other vehicles speeding past the back of me, isn't pleasant. also the sun catches the McD's window as you travel out of town - it's blinding at times.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »
Go the scenic route  ;)
In a Bus? That will go down well I'm sure :D

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 05:41:31 PM »
In a Bus? That will go down well I'm sure :D

If I were in your bus and you went the scenic route - I would love it !  :)

many wouldn't though eh  ;)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:13:01 PM »
The Bosses in particular :P

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
The Bosses in particular :P

I was thinking more of the people left standing at bus stops you missed  - sod the bosses  ;)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 08:34:19 PM »
Sod the Bosses too - My Passengers come first :P

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
Sod the Bosses too - My Passengers come first :P

Well said !!. I've had two experiences with bus drivers this week, the first was for me unusual.
I stopped to let a bus out of the a pull in on Derby Road, driver of the vehicle at the back didn't like it and told me so by pressing his horn. The bus pulled out and I followed. Bus then pulls into another pull in - gives me a thumbs up - and the vehicle behind Thumbs down - never seen that before  ;)

Second, one irritated driver with me because I needed to check if a vulnerable adult I was expecting was sat on his bus. I was concerned as they should have been. Driver was even more irritated when I asked if there was another bus following soon ( just wondering if one was delayed for some reason ).

Driver must have had a bad day  ::)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
Most bus drivers will thank you for letting them pull out - be it a thumbs up or a quick flash of the hazards. We really do appreciate it because some drivers see us as an obstacle that has to be beaten by whatever means possible. I've been "brake tested" by a Golf GT pulling away from Jawbones Hill (Tesco) on a blind bend just for the temerity of pulling out of a bus stop.
As for your other observation regarding buses running on time or not - I, for example, would only know if the bus in front of me was running late should I catch up or indeed overtake it! Obviously I would know if I was running late - but I would not know how near the next bus was behind me until it was visible in my mirrors!
We do not have radio contact with our depot, but our ticket machines can receive messages from our illustrious Gods at Stonegravels :D
A couple of days ago we were diverted between Clay Cross to Danesmoor (and back) because of a RTA on our normal route - so we had to go via Coney Green in both directions, the instructions coming by way of the ticket machine.
The messages that come this way can't be read until the bus is parked with the handbrake on for obvious reasons.
I hope this enlightens you somewhat ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk