Author Topic: Whats Going On In Calow?  (Read 58905 times)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Whats Going On In Calow?
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:11:44 PM »
Apparently (again) the rumour is that the former CMC site opposite the Somerset Pub is to be a new Tesco Express.
Fine - I can live with that.
However, there is a new proposed development on Dark Lane (where I live) from Seven Star Natural Gas Limited to drill exploratory bore holes, erect containerised units,associated plant and equipment,extract natural gas,generate electricity and ancilliary operations on land off Dark Lane, Calow.And it will be a 24/7 operation for up to 15 years.
Application Code :http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/environment/planning/planning_applications/current_applications/search_current/app-details.asp?AppCode=CM4/0812/53&AppType=2&searchBy=CM4/0812/53&intDataCount=1
We could do without this - its a single track road - no passing places to the proposed site so hardly any room for HGV's etc., and the ancilliary vehicles required to build this facility.
Oh yes we will protest - but there are not many houses down Dark Lane.
Lets hope we succeed :(
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Whats Going On In Calow?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:32:29 AM »
Go for it - we'll help if we can. :)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »
Apparently in their planning notes  they say that there is also another of these plants possibly to be constructed within the grounds of the Royal Hospital, and they are awaiting the trustees response.
The trustees have apparently already responded with a resounding NO, so, which begs the question, in their proposals, why has this not been amended or at least added later (the fact that the Trust has already said no is conveniently left out).
Also, it seems that only the houses at the top end of Dark Lane (Netherleigh Cottages), have had the statutory "NOTICE OF PLANNING APPLICATION" posted on lamp posts, and through letter boxes. This covers less than 20 properties.
However, petitions have been distributed to local shops, and posters placed in local bus stops (not by me), to bring this to the attention of more locals.
There is another residents meeting to be held on 10th October, which I hope to be able to attend.

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:50:58 PM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »
This is where I start to lose the plot.
If I had the chance to have a wind turbine built at the bottom of my garden, I'd say yes.
If it's beneficial to me.
A Methane farm next door, I'd say no. Sounds a bit dubious.
Does that make me a hypocrite ?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 11:17:02 PM »

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »
PS. Hopefully some of my long ramblings will be of use for the residents of Calow in forcing these companies and the farmers to take a different view on the matter.   As I say, if its just that good a deal for the farmer who owns the land, why not build it right behind his/her house?
I am extremely grateful for your comments, and will hopefully use some of them on our next community meeting. Many thanks, and keep 'em coming , I'm quite happy to read any more comments you have. The ones you have made are pertinent, and I agree with all of them.
thanks for your continued support - we also have representations on Chesterfield Forum and facebook too, started by myself and others.
Facebook- "Calow-Seven Star Gas Limited" & "Protect the environment in Calow & surrounding areas"
Chesterfield Forum "Dark Lane Calow Gas extraction"
Cheers Matey ;)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:02:08 PM »
Please also refer to  http://calowdevelopment.net78.net/

Thanks ;)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
Bit slow on this, but is this what they call fracking? I've read about the dangers and accidents in the US re fracking and I wouldn't want it near me.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »
Just re-read the thread, please ignore my last question.  :-[

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 07:06:43 PM »
I googled fracking the other day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing
I'd certainly say NIMBY.
Wouldn't want it in anyone else's either  :!

I'll back Calow residents any way I can.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
I can't find any reference in the planning application to hydraulic fracturing (Fracking) but I would not rule it out.
My concern at this moment in time is that the boreholes are to be drilled laterally (as opposed to straight down); more importantly our proximity to Arkwright town.
Look at the past issues with Radon Gas, and Arkwright having to be re-built over the road. Derbyshire has the highest concentration of Radon Gas in the Country.
If this proposal goes ahead, what, if any, guarantees do we have as residents if newly disturbed Radon gasses begin seeping in to our houses because of the subterranian disturbances caused by this drilling.
whats to stop Seven Star Gas Limited packing up and disappearing a couple of months before ingress of gasses gets in our homes and everyone absolves themselves of any responsability?
Will we be re-housed - and who will pay for it? :(

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »
They said(someone), the move of Arkwright village from one side of the road to the other was about the methane gas from the now closed pit.
Complete bollocks IMHO, they wanted, the, close to the surface, coal from under the village.
They'd already taken this from the other side of the road, as prep for the new village.
I might be wrong  ;)

How the hell can they frack substances from under a mining community.
There's more tunnels running underground to god knows where than Cameron's vision for the future,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk