Author Topic: Heat Wave  (Read 2864 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Heat Wave
« on: June 27, 2018, 05:16:41 PM »
How do others cope in the heatwave we are currently experiencing.
I love the hot weather but admit it has been too hot for me to sit out in at times.

The grass is dying fast, even the birds didn't feed much yesterday.

For those who work in places which have no air con I feel for you.

We use fans in our home, I keep the curtains closed when the sun is on the windows.
There is not much more I can think of??

We are not equipped in the UK for it in most buildings - as we are not equipped for heavy snow
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Heat Wave
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 09:09:19 PM »
As a taxi driver, I hate this weather. It doesn't create customers.
As a person, I hate this weather lol. It's too bloody warm for me  :)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 09:46:00 PM »
We have just got back from Gran Canaria  but the last two days here have been warmer than it was there.There was a nice breeze most of the time which made it very pleasant.
On a different topic there must be loads of people who are paying a fine for taking children out of school.When we were at EMA  there must have been at least fifty of school age in the two hours we were there before  we flew.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 07:51:32 PM »
No wonder the weather is the main topic of conversation here, we can't handle hot weather we can't handle the snow, we can't handle high winds. Already getting texts from Severn Trent basically telling us there's a hose pipe/sprinkler ban on, shower don't bath.

Also the subject of kids on hols..... yes that's why I choose my hols when they are "back at school" I too got back off my hols about 3 weeks ago, there were just as many kids {of school age} there than adults so heaven knows what it will be like during the six week holiday.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 08:50:01 PM »
I can't believe that they are saying we are short of water. The winter we have had should have filled everything up and as this isn't the first time this has happened one would think that more reservoirs would have been created it. The problem is they are so busy building houses ( which to some extent we need - but there are plenty of empty buildings which could be made habitable ) that they don't seem to think we need more water!

School holidays it is unfair on parents to expect them to go on the most expensive times.
We went on holiday on June 2nd and yes I expected the ship to have a lot of children but it didn't which is unusual.

One of our stops was Gran Canaries which was quite hot but I agree the breeze made it comfortable.
In fact there was on all islands a cool breeze at times but hot in the sun.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 01:43:29 AM »
Gets a bit "parky" at evenings on a late shift. I turned the heating on because the "senior citizens" were closing the windows.
Hey Ho ;)
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
it was the opposite for me yesterday when we used the bus during the afternoon.
I chose a seat which had hot air blasted out on the back of my legs.

I moved pretty sharpish to another seat.   :))

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 06:47:01 PM »
As with certain years when there's prolonged hot weather {2 weeks now isn't it?}Severn Trent still banging on about wasting water, not using  sprinklers/hosepipes and shower not bath.
You can still guarantee the golf courses will be well watered, cricket pitches and the like.
Now, I know that golf courses and such are businesses but at the end of the day water usage is water usage.

I resent getting a message telling ME not to "waste" water, I don't, I never have, at the moment,my back garden lawn looks like a hay field it's that parched but so long as the jolly boys can go on plush greens and whack a ball with a stick that's o.k. then.
{I never refer to golf a sport}

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 09:30:32 PM »
As with certain years when there's prolonged hot weather {2 weeks now isn't it?}Severn Trent still banging on about wasting water, not using  sprinklers/hosepipes and shower not bath.
You can still guarantee the golf courses will be well watered, cricket pitches and the like.
Now, I know that golf courses and such are businesses but at the end of the day water usage is water usage.

I resent getting a message telling ME not to "waste" water, I don't, I never have, at the moment,my back garden lawn looks like a hay field it's that parched but so long as the jolly boys can go on plush greens and whack a ball with a stick that's o.k. then.   :)) :)) Nice one !
{I never refer to golf a sport}

I totally agree with you. It pees me no end when Severn Trent start shouting drought - it's time they got more reservoirs for the increasing population in Derbyshire etc.

Like yours our lawn is dead and crunches underfoot.
I have long established bushes which have brown dead leaves and wilting.
I still adopt the habit from the 70's heatwave when brushing my teeth which is not to leave the tap running.
Over the last couple of weeks all vegetable water goes into a bucket and is used to water plants.
If we can do 'our bit' Why can't Severn Trent!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:33 PM »
As I sit posting this it is persisting it down as it did this morning, no doubt I will wake in the morning to news of floods everywhere.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »
I went out as the norm yesterday evening to water the garden. Wish i'd not bothered now lol  :-X
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »
Didn't really do much though  :(

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 08:47:05 PM »
Having watched you tube clips of American cops they always say things get worse for them the hotter the weather gets, tempers fray and neighbours begin to squabble and fights start {sometimes over the tiniest thing}

Over the past few days it's getting like that on our estate, especially now the kids are off school they are only adding to the problems. We haven't got as far as gunfights yet, but compared to how "quiet" this estate was a few years ago it's getting like downtown Los Angeles.

Dogs barking is another, yesterday afternoon, and the same today it sounded like I was living next to Battersea dogs home. I cannot for the life of me understand how any dog owner can sit there {oh yes they are home alright} can sit there and listen to their dog yap constantly and it never crosses their mind to shut it up because it might be getting on someones t*ts.

I NEVER thought I would ever use the end phrase,and I won't apologise for doing so but I'm afraid certain people who now live on estates such as this one have scant regard for anyone and anything and I put the blame fairly and squarely on the councils that house them, as these people are clearly lowering the tone.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 09:20:11 PM »
Well. The hot weather :-

The wife collapsed at home the other saturday. I had to phone for an ambulance(she looked in a bad way).
Ambulance took an hour and a half to arrive. The hospital did all the tests, mri scan, blood, ecg etc and found nothing  ;)
She came home 8 hours later, she didn't want to stay in overnight as they wanted.
She's now back to her normal self, but there's just the one problem.
The hospital said it might have been a fit of sorts, so therefore she can't drive until she has the all clear from a neurologist.
Not good when you drive for a living  :(
The hospital don't have an appointment till the end of november  :o
Looks like we'll have to go private . . . . . .
In the mean time, we can't claim rent or housing benefit or owt due to her being out of work.
Apparently, because we work hard, pay taxes, and manage to save a few quid, we aren't eligible for ANY benefits  >:

Weather. NHS. DWP. Rant over, for now  :-X

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 11:01:45 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that - keep us posted Pal MD
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk