Author Topic: Raising the tone a bit.....  (Read 3517 times)

k4blades

Raising the tone a bit.....
« on: January 29, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
With all the posts about music, TV, films, etc, I thought I would start one about books.

I read all the time, I read everything and anything, fact or fiction, I love reading.

Though Shakespeare is a worthy candidate, surely Dickins in the best story teller there ever was? (We're off to Manchester to see Oliver this afternoon).

But as for as modern writers go, I've read just about every word Stephen King has ever published.

And I have just finished reading his latest book:  11.22.63
Its a story about a man who gets chance to go back in time. The title refers to the date that JFK was assassinated, the lead character decides to try and prevent it from happening. Having said that though, its not s story about politics, above all else its a love story.
When reading a lot of Kings more recent work, its a bit like snuggling up with an old friend, warm and comforting. But with this book, its meeting a new young lover, fiery and passionate, very exciting. The best he has written in a long time.

So anyway. here's the thing;
What was the last book you read?
And what is your favorite book ever, what would you recommend to others?   

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Raising the tone a bit.....
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
Wierd reply coming up  :o

I don't know what happened to me, but I have always read books from being a little kid right up to a few years ago and then it left me. I now have no inclination to read fiction, I guess that four or five years ago the web just took over that part of my life.

I don't feel any different - I still buy and read non-fiction - but I have no desire to read fiction.

Wierd...

Anyway, the last book I read was The Google Story by David A. Vise.

My fave book ever is The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

I would recommend The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
Anything by Harlan Coben, Dean Koontz, James Herbert.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:23:07 PM »
Duma Key by Stephen king was a great read. Currently starting From a buick 8 by the same author, i too love his books and enjoy the read :)
Best book i think people should read is the Stand. You may have seen the film but the film doesnt do the book justice in my opinion!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
Pet Cemetary was a brill book.
I was devestated when I watched the film, and Herman Munster played the lead role.
One of the crappest films I've ever seen.

Such a letdown !
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
The last one I read was "The Man in the High Castle," a Philip K Dick "What if" thing about the Allies losing WW2.

I'd recommend "The Five People you Meet in Heaven" to anyone, but currently rate Primo Levi's "If this is a Man" as my favourite.

k4blades

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »
Duma Key by Stephen king was a great read. Currently starting From a buick 8 by the same author, i too love his books and enjoy the read :)
Best book I think people should read is the Stand. You may have seen the film but the film doesnt do the book justice in my opinion!

If you enjoy Stephen King, you really need to read his early stuff.
I agree with the comments about films not being as good as the book, but notable exceptions are Shawshank redemption and The Green Mile, both coincidentally, set in prisons. Stand by Me, is a good watch too, (not from the book The Stand, but from one of his short stories.)
Stanley Cubricks film of The Shining is a classic, but the book is definitely a very good read, some of his best writing.

And one of the best / scariest endings ever to any film, the final scene from Carrie.

And on a lighter note, probably my favorite book ever, based on the number of times I read it as a kid, and then read it to my kids: James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl.

k4blades

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 09:10:11 AM »
Wierd reply coming up  :o

I don't know what happened to me, but I have always read books from being a little kid right up to a few years ago and then it left me. I now have no inclination to read fiction, I guess that four or five years ago the web just took over that part of my life.

I don't feel any different - I still buy and read non-fiction - but I have no desire to read fiction.

Wierd...

Anyway, the last book I read was The Google Story by David A. Vise.

My fave book ever is The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

I would recommend The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

Shame, I hope that books don't go the same way as music. The music charts these days is rubbish, we can come on here and fondly remember all the old tunes, but what will our kids have to look back on. Its a vicious circle, the quality of music written these days isn't always great, but even when it is, its not sustainable because of the way the music is sold through downloads, so albums aren't bought / played like they used to be. Which is one of the reasons, I'm against piracy on the 'net. With e-book, etc, I hope literature doesn't go the same way.

Last non-fiction I read: Wonders of the Universe, from the BBC TV series by Brian Cox. Mind blowing stuff.

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 04:35:47 PM »
I have read quite a few of his books, i count 15 on my shelf above me ranges from Dolores Claiborn, cujo etc to liseys story and duma key :)

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 04:36:49 PM »
Does a Haynes Workshop Manual count?  8)
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »
My book tastes are like my music tastes - very eclectic!

I have no particular favourite author, but admit to being drawn to Joanne Harris.

A book I've just finished reading is called The Five Minute Writer which contains writing exercises to inspire creative writing.  It was one of those you can dip in and out of.

Currently reading my camera manual as I got a DSLR for christmas.  Another one to dip in and out of.

A book I thoroughly enjoyed recently was  Suggs and the City: My Journeys Through Disappearing London.  I know London really well and it was great to read all about areas I've been in the past and find the history of old pubs for example.

On my bedside table is a chick lit book by Belinda Jones.  Its a nice easy read to wind down to, and of course contains that nice (and very essential) element of filth  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk