Author Topic: Benefits - again!  (Read 4372 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Benefits - again!
« on: December 29, 2012, 03:10:08 PM »
You may remember that my sisters Pension Credit was reduced a few months ago - with no notification?

Guess what - now her Disability Living(Mobility) Allowance has been stopped - in early December - again with no notification. After a call to Social Services, who said that she was still entitled to DLA benefits I rang DLA Blackpool. I was told that it had been placed on suspension but that there was no reason given as to why on the system. I was told that it would be re-instated with immediate effect and that back pay would be included - should be in my bank within the next seven days. This is a huge relief as, without that money, I wouldn't be able to buy her new clothes/pay for holidays/other expenditure as every penny she gets in Pension Credit goes to pay for her care home costs.

How come they (The Pension Service) deem it acceptable to play God with peoples' benefits without the common courtesy of an explanatory letter?

Are they trying to send me round the f'ing bend?

I'm dreading the next few weeks as I've now applied for help with Mums' care home costs as her savings are below the threshold amount.  :(
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Benefits - again!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »
You have my sympathies Dogboy - we are going through a similar scenario with my missus' parents.  :(
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:26:27 PM »
Benefits Alsatian. Wait for next year when the new bedroom tax and council tax starts. This government thinks it is ok to kick people out of their home which they have lived in for years. They are also having a big change in the benefits system which I know there are some who have jumped on the band wagon problem is the government are lumping everyone as the same - and the genuine ones will be penalised big time. It won't affect me, but it 'may' affect your sister and it will affect my daughter. I have been been reading up quite a lot on what they are doing and to be honest it's quite frightening. Local councils will have one big problem I am thinking as it is not them that are making the changes/decisions. Big headaches coming all round - whilst those that have decided to do this are sat on their arses with plenty of cash going into their pots.
Just as a ps  I have read that savings for any council tax elegibilty will be 6 grand, but the council rents benefits will be still 16 grand.
Rant over --- for now!  >:(
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:28:47 PM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

pepsiperfect

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:53:57 AM »
I don`t pay council tax - for life.
The benefits of living in Derbyshire - GoldCard

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:28:58 AM »
You are spot on with it being complicated CC my hubby did our tax returns for ages as he used to run his own business so had some knowledge, but these days we have an accountant. I did all the paper work for my mum when dad had passed away and again earlier this year I closed and sorted all mums down except the tax - don't understand the jargon in the form TBH and although i know what info they want - I just don't know where to put it in - if that makes sense. We had someone one of my brothers knew who was used to them to fill it in - cop out by me on that one.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:58:43 AM »
You just couldn't make it up!

Just received a letter from DLA Blackpool telling me that my sister is entitled to higher rate mobility and also higher rate care component. As she lives in a care home my understanding is that she doesn't qualify for the care element.

I phoned DLA and told them this, to which they replied stating that, although she is entitled to it she won't be paid the care component. When I told him that the letter states both elements WILL be paid he got quite abrupt and told me again than she won't be paid . . . .

I just can't get my breath! Why on earth bother to put both components on the letter in the first place?

As an addendum the letter also states that she will be reviewed for PIP in 2015 - I can't wait!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »
Oh yes - DWP are calling me on Sat morning to review her pension credit and that I need to have all her finance info to hand.

As they had the incorrect number on the letter I called them to give them my correct number.

I told them that I have all info to hand already but would they take it off me? No!

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 12:14:52 PM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
Yes everyone has to re-apply for the new PIP. Have you read the new discriptors?
Can your sister walk Alsatian?
Saturday morning call in - blimey they are busy getting through all this new stuff. Obviously want to see for themselves!

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »
Yes everyone has to re-apply for the new PIP. Have you read the new discriptors?
Can your sister walk Alsatian?
Saturday morning call in - blimey they are busy getting through all this new stuff. Obviously want to see for themselves!

Yes she can walk, but only a short distance and then only with either a walking frame or hanging on to my arm.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 02:48:55 PM »
Bit like my daughter then  she can't walk outside needs a seat nearby. They have altered the walking distance for the PIP, hopefully your sister will still get the mobility - it's  lottery at the moment isn't it.
Taxi's (sorry Fly) can be expensive when needed on a regular basis can't they.
currently my daughter has an app at the hallamshire this Sunday, then 3 app in a row at Calow beginning of March  :-?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »
Don't be sorry OC. I know you won't take this the wrong way.
It's people who need taxis like in this situation that keep some taxi drivers in work.
One of the reasons 'we', me and Our_Lass put ourselves out to be courteous to customers.
Sooner they use us than another taxi.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »
I  understand that Fly and we all need to earn a crust.  ;)
When you have app like my daughter has it can cost a bomb. Tot up the hallamshire and 3 calow runs all returns oh and a dentist to Chessy return - all in one month  :-? by taxi she couldn't afford it. Mind you we did have a taxi to the last hallamshire app in Sept last year which cost £60 - (community transport). I couldn't drive because of my back. :(

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 02:21:15 PM »
Oh yes - DWP are calling me on Sat morning to review her pension credit and that I need to have all her finance info to hand.

As they had the incorrect number on the letter I called them to give them my correct number.

I told them that I have all info to hand already but would they take it off me? No!

They called me this morning and I have to say the lady on the phone was very nice and patient, although it appears that they have still not updated my sisters' care home address on their systems!! She told me it didn't matter because I am her appointee and that all my details I gave were correct (why then, when I rang last time and gave 'them' her postcode - which didn't match their records - did they tell me that they couldn't continue with the call?).

Anyway, everything went ok and they said they would contact me to let me know if there will be any changes to her pension amount.

I am paranoid about 'looking after' other peoples' money (I also look after Mums' affairs) and religiously keep all receipts etc etc, but she said it was fine that I 'look after' my sisters money in my own account (albeit a separate one from my own money) as I am her appointee - phew!!

Think I may be watching too many documentaries where people fiddle the system and get done for money laundering!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk