Author Topic: 11 plus  (Read 987 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
11 plus
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »
I didn't realise that the 11 plus still existed! maybe not in it's original form but it's still out there in certain parts. I thought the 11 plus had gone out with the trench coat or at least renamed, but no it remains still.

11 plus ah' yes I remember it well considering the amount of time that has lapsed between now and me taking it. Circa 1962 yet you ask me what I had for dinner last Thursday and I'd be scratching my head.
The options were as I remember, fail and it was Hasland Hall or Deincourt at Nth. Wingfield, pass and it was Tupton Grammar or Tapton house. For girls passing was the extra choice of St. Helenas in Town, for me it was Deincourt. Going to different schools lost a lot of friendships splitting mates up as it did. Although a disappointment to me and my parents {especially my dad} I can't help but wonder if my mother secretly breathed a sigh of relief as going to a Grammar school meant the school uniform was obligatory, but with Deincourt it was optional.
Shows you what it was like then, my best mate passed and so chose Tapton House. My elder sister who was already at Tapton  was leaving
 so my mother donated part of my sisters uniform to my mates mam till they could afford new {apparently he got a bit of ribbing at school about his shirts}
"And you tell the kids of today that and they won't believe you"

Oh by the way chips egg and beans
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: 11 plus
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »
Don't agree with the 11 +. So many get nervous and their minds go blank when sitting exams.
I would prefer an overhaul assessment of the final year in junior school.

I was initially in an all girls school until my third year when we merge with a boys school ------  :-?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
Don't agree with the 11 +. So many get nervous and their minds go blank when sitting exams.
I would prefer an overhaul assessment of the final year in junior school.

I was initially in an all girls school until my third year when we merge with a boys school ------  :-?

I see that, OC but I was given to understand an exam was to throw you in at the deep end so to speak and shows your ability to knuckle down when needs be, having said that it didn't help me as {this is not an excuse by the way} I failed not because I was ill educated it was simply because I took too much time to answer the questions and as I recall I only got about 75 to 80% through the test before time was up.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 03:23:48 PM »
I see that, OC but I was given to understand an exam was to throw you in at the deep end so to speak and shows your ability to knuckle down when needs be, having said that it didn't help me as {this is not an excuse by the way} I failed not because I was ill educated it was simply because I took too much time to answer the questions and as I recall I only got about 75 to 80% through the test before time was up.

Exactly and had you been tested on work over a twelve month period your results would probably have been so much better.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk