Author Topic: Bring Our Troops Home Now!  (Read 4594 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Our Troops Home Now!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 02:28:45 PM »
I'm not advocating that we should interfere in Syria but I don't see what the difference is between there and Libya.

I understand your point JR, quite right there is no difference, but how many more of these countries are our soldiers expected to fight and die for and as scimitar says they aren't gratfull for out intervention in many cases.
Our politicians are very good at sending our troups off to war in other countries, it's time they were trained up before being a politician - so they can go out there with them ---
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
But that is my point
Our politicians ARE very good at sending troops to war and Syria has oil so why are they not sending them there?
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
I think they did JR but were out voted  by the U.N weren't they. It's awhile ago now so can't remember the finer details on that.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
>> Our politicians ARE very good at sending troops to war and Syria has oil so why are they not sending them there?

Possibly it's because out troops lives are more important than Syria's oil? Or do you think we are as bad as the Americans?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

k4blades

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »
Because Syria is classed as "friendly" just like Bahrain and many others. Libya, though Gaddafi got pally with Blair, was never our friend. Many would say we need all the friends when can get in the middle east, with Iran getting cocky with nuclear etc, but it puts our politicians in a dilemma when they start being un-western in their behaviour.
Personally I would just leave them all to get on with it, while we deal with our own problems.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »
>> Personally I would just leave them all to get on with it, while we deal with our own problems.

Agree with that. There is massive injustice, cruelty and tragedy in many, many countries and that is sad. We cannot help all these people and selecting the lucky ones would be a nightmare. I maintain that we should sort out problems with our young people, old and infirm folks, education, health etc - and then look at what we can do elsewhere.

That may sound callous, but I will openly admit that I would hate to have to make those hard decisions.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »
Pete - your as right as ever.
The point is these conflicts around the globe are nothing to do with us. You don't see Russia/germany/china - so called superpowers getting involved.
Keep our troops here to look after us, and maybe even take some of the unfortunate wayward youngsters, who have no hope in hell of getting a job, off our streets and give them some type of National Service type training so that after a couple of years they can come back to the real world and do a proper job, because they will have learned a discliplined life or at least been given a skill or trade. An opportunity that probably that their parents could not give them. Or parent (singular).
We let the young ones down at times - society that is.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk