Author Topic: Give Queen a new royal yacht for diamond jubilee, says Michael Gove  (Read 6357 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
"Education secretary proposes taxpayers fund gift – likely to cost at least £60m – to mark 'momentous occasion' "In spite, and perhaps because of the austere times, the celebration should go beyond those of previous jubilees and mark the greater achievement that the diamond anniversary represents."

It seems a little insensitive when folks are losing their jobs and houses to spend £60m on a yacht she may never see (she's 85) and she will hardly ever use if she's still with us after it's built.

So that's a no from me, but more importantly, who is this Michael Grove that ignores the global economic meltdown and suggests such a foolish waste of public money.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: Give Queen a new royal yacht for diamond jubilee, says Michael Gove
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »
I agree 100% with you on that Pete, I'm not anti-Royal - and I know they bring some coffers in with the tourism trade, but, with their untold wealth they could spend some of it on that (if that's what they want). We're all tightening our belts and for someone on a 'good income' in Westminster to decide how we should 'waste' our hard earned money is a travesty.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »
Was that really on one of the front pages with the picture of the sunken cruise ship or was it a mock up?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »
I see this has been nipped in the bud by the powers that be - thank goodness. But what does it say as regards how out of touch with the nation some of this toffee nosed, upper class twits are.  :o

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
Increasing trend in all parties to go from education to politics missing out the "real world." We want more Skinners

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Where does Gove get his £60 mill from? Is he hoping a mate would build it?  Seems to me that we've got a couple of carriers we can't use, because we rather foolishly got shot of one lot of planes ten years before the next lot will be ready; sling a few portakabins on top of one of those, and there's your yatch. £1500 tops, for the portakabins. Job's a good'n!!

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »
Bloody excellent Stuart! Ever fancied standing for public office  ;)

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »
Where does Gove get his £60 mill from? Is he hoping a mate would build it?  Seems to me that we've got a couple of carriers we can't use, because we rather foolishly got shot of one lot of planes ten years before the next lot will be ready; sling a few portakabins on top of one of those, and there's your yatch. £1500 tops, for the portakabins. Job's a good'n!!

Spot on!  ;)
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 07:52:05 PM »
Just seen a follow-up story that said, "Prince Charles backed plan for jubilee royal yacht. - Princess Anne and Prince Charles, have supported the idea of a new royal yacht."

Well they would, wouldn't they...  ::)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:11:11 AM »
It's on, it's off, it's on again... Cameron comes out and backs the plan.

This one could blow up in their faces.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 08:35:58 AM »
Apparently if it goes ahead, it will be privately funded.  Thats what the BBC were reporting earlier.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

k4blades

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
A lot of Lefties at the Guardian getting their knickers in a twist over nothing. LOL

Firstly, the yacht has been in the pipeline for many months, I have seen several reports about it. It was ALWAYS the intention that it would be privately funded, ie no money from the tax payer, we all know the country can't afford it.

The yacht will not just be for pleasure cruises, it will be used as a training vessel for sailors and naval cadets, it will have other training facilities including research labs, etc, etc.

Though its intention is to be a "Royal Yacht", it won't be used for the Queen to go off and have private parties in the Caribbean for months on end, my understanding is that it will still "belong" to the country. And its primary function from a royal perspective is to sell Britain. We are meant to be one of the best countries in the world, and certainly have a culture and heritage that we should be proud of. That's why thousands of tourists from all over the world, mainly the USA and China come here and visit places like Buck Palace and Windsor, so we should exploit that by selling ourselves to these countries, helping our industries win contracts.
Labour know the way to win over big business is to suck up to them and these countries, thats why Mandelson took on the role of Queen, (literally  ;)) and went sleazing up to them on expensive yachts, but it should be done transparently with a real Queen, and when dealing with the likes of China, Russia, India etc, they look up to our monarchy much more than any republican president like Obama and Sarkowsi.
When Blair sold off Britannia it was mean penny pinching just to buy a bit of support from the Left.
We should now correct his mistake and if that can be done at no cost to the tax payer, who cares.

Secondly, if you actually read the letter from Michael Gove, what he actually said, (in his role as Education Minister), was in the context of the talk about the yacht and jubilee celebrations, couldn't we look at a way of publicly funding some small gift such as a coin or mug, for all school children in the country......so not quite the outrageous suggestion made by others. This sort of memorabilia thing has happened before, so it was fair of him to raise the question, even if we can't afford it, but he wasn't suggesting that the yacht be publicly funded.

Michael Gove, if he's the one I think he is, was abandoned as a child, then adopted and raised in Scotland, having quite a tough up-bringing, and has had to work extremely hard to get where is is from the "outside", he's not one of the Bullingham Club. He's reported as being very determined, bound by his principles and not someone who cares for spin / media soundbites. He is also known as someone who won't let people get in his way if he believes he is doing the right thing, such as unions or civil servants. For all of these reasons, he is being compared to Mrs Thatcher, and it is thought he could be the one who succeeds Cameron as he would be popular with the party. Whatever his policies are, he has the characteristics that I like,  better than most of our MPs, and certainly better than Chris Hunne, the weasley Lib Dem, who it is being reported, leaked the letter. This is the low life who stitched up his wife to take his speeding points, before dumping her for someone else...(allegedly of course).       

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 06:52:46 PM »

Though its intention is to be a "Royal Yacht", it won't be used for the Queen to go off and have private parties in the Caribbean for months on end, my understanding is that it will still "belong" to the country. ......

When's my turn to use it?  :)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »
After mine :)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
I hear there's an Italian Captain after a new job  :o
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk