Author Topic: Dental charges  (Read 1750 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Dental charges
« on: May 02, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »
My wife and I have, for years now, been going to one of the dentists in Clay Cross.

Every six months our teeth are "checked" then we're asked if we want them polishing, this time we both said yes and for those two checkups and two polishes {total time ten minutes tops} I was relieved of over £100 {£52 each to be precise}
At one time the polish was in with the checkup, I told a friend of mine who visits one of the other dentists in C/C and he says at his dentists everything it's all included and he pays less than £20
I thought there were guidelines and only certain prices you could charge as an N.H.S patient.

Am I being overcharged or is this what I can expect? 

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Dental charges
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 05:40:38 PM »
Looks like someones pulling a fast one.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/dental-health/how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

If they charged you Band 1: £22.70 for the check up, AND, then the same again for the polish, it would still not equate to £52 each  :-?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:43:19 PM by Fly »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 08:05:26 PM »
Thanks for that Fly... it's pretty much as I feared, only it's not a subject that comes up in conversation but all the signs were there, the polishes seemed to go up a little with every visit.  Spoken to my brother and he uses the same dentist, he never has them polished he just pays for a check.

Apparently another dentist in the Cross does the same.

Haslander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
NHS dental charges
There are 3 NHS charge bands. From April 2019 to March 2020, the costs are as follows:

Band 1: £22.70
Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.

Band 2: £62.10
Covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).

My wife had treatment described in Band 1, the catch however lies in the dentist deeming, in their opinion, additional treatment. The dentist suggested that she had receding gums, her advice regarding cleaning etc put the cost into Band 2.

The dentists wear a face-mask (A la Dick Turpin}, for a reason!!
Stupidity is infinitely more fascinating that intelligence.
Intelligence has its limits while stupidity has none.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 12:54:10 PM »
It turns out that the mistake we've been making is the way what your asked is worded.

Basically if after they check your teeth they then ask YOU if you want a descale and polish and you say yes they will charge extra.
A couple of people I have spoken to {one of which uses the same dentist} both say the same, after they have checked your teeth they will then ask if you want a descale and polish, you reply "You're the expert what do you think?" if they say yes they are obliged to do it at no extra cost, if no then the same.
Put the onus on them as technically they are charging for a "FREE" service.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 09:44:10 PM »
I have used a dental practise in Chesterfield for many years.
My check with scale and Polish is just over £20.00.
I reckon you have been diddled!!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 01:14:18 PM »
I have used a dental practise in Chesterfield for many years.
My check with scale and Polish is just over £20.00.
I reckon you have been diddled!!

I'm just wondering if there's any way I could have legal recourse about the "overcharges" and claim it back if the charge was unnecessary?
I will certainly look into it.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 07:54:47 AM »
I would certainly try Sorastro, I'm thinking back in the past dental practises have been fined for over charging and i think the way it's worded is wrong if that is the case.
I don't get asked it's just routine in my dental practise.

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 06:43:04 PM »
Sorastro... could it be that you are registered with this practice as a private patient, instead of NHS patient ?
Many dental practices do both NHS & private work !
If registered as a private patient, they can charge whatever they want to !

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 08:23:20 PM »
Cost me a bomb for treatment at West Bars as a private patient. At the time I was having problems with my teeth and no-one was taking NHS patients on board. I asked them to take them all out but they wouldn't. Said it would be an unethical practice as a registered dentist to do it.
10 years later and after getting signed up with an NHS dentist practice in between, after much more rot, abscesses and pain, a dentist finally agreed that total removal was the best course of action.

10 bloody year I had to wait for this pic. Guardamar Del Sagura. Spain 2017  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 08:27:45 PM »
Sorastro... could it be that you are registered with this practice as a private patient, instead of NHS patient ?
Many dental practices do both NHS & private work !
If registered as a private patient, they can charge whatever they want to !

Thanks Tarzan....
Fairly sure I'm N.H.S. but will double check, next checkup late October, will try to find another dentist before then. 

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
Cost me a bomb for treatment at West Bars as a private patient. At the time I was having problems with my teeth and no-one was taking NHS patients on board. I asked them to take them all out but they wouldn't. Said it would be an unethical practice as a registered dentist to do it.
10 years later and after getting signed up with an NHS dentist practice in between, after much more rot, abscesses and pain, a dentist finally agreed that total removal was the best course of action.

10 bloody year I had to wait for this pic. Guardamar Del Sagura. Spain 2017  (y)

Gawwed where's me sun glasses. Sparkly pearly whites   (y)

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »

Thanks Tarzan....
Fairly sure I'm N.H.S. but will double check, next checkup late October, will try to find another dentist before then.

Just got a text from daughter this morning, her dentist is signing new patients on so will nip up there Monday and register, if we get in then I will see if I am able to claim back the overcharges from my dentist, these stretch back years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk